cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging 6 V. batteries while boondocking?

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the best way to charge 6V batteries when boondocking? Should I just hook the 1500 watt Honda generator to the shore power cord or hook the generator to a battery charger to the batteries.

If I hook the charger to the batteries, what do I hook the charger clips to..... Neg --> ? and Pos. --> ?

Which way will charge the batteries the fastest with the 1500 watt gen?
Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Look to see what the output of your rig charger is and run the generator. Additionally be conservative with using the batteries. The water pump is the big killer. Run battery or little lp coleman lampsfor lighting at night. Everyday start the genny and charge the batts back up. We dry camp all the time and run the genny a few hours in the morning then the evening. We do the dishes and bath when the genny is running to continue to put amps back into the battery.

Eventually I will put solar up on the roof and will put in enough watts so I wont have to run the genny as much.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
Duke-44 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I will check some of this stuff out.
If anyone else has some advice please post it.

I'm a firm believer in solar. I have an 80 watt panel. Wish I had about 400 watts more. Then I could run more stuff.

I have a e2000i Honda and I would run it for 10 to 12 hours each day with a 40 amp Battery charger to recharge. I replaced the 7 house batteries with 2- 6 volts then found out my new inverter was bad. I disconnected the inverter Put in some LED lamps. Now I can run 3 days an batteries (with wife) and 4 days by myself.
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. I will check some of this stuff out.
If anyone else has some advice please post it.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would connect the trailer shore power cable directly to the generator 120VAC receptacle using a RV30A-15A ADAPTER (WALMART)

This is what the 30A-15A long "DOGBONE" type adapter looks like

This will allow your on-board CONVERTER/CHARGER to recharge your two 6VDC Batteries just like it does when you are on SHORE POWER.

Your problem may be however that the 1500WATT Generator may not be large enough to run your converter/charger unit especially if other items in the trailer are on when you connect to your generator. I would turn off (FLIP BREAKERS) everything except the CONVERTER/CHARGER unit while doing this. If your CONVERTER/CHARGER is a smart mode unit it will take about three hours of generator run time to re-charge your batteries back up to their 90% charge state if you had them discharged below 50% charge state.

This is what we do every morning when camping off the power grid starting at 8AM when we are allowed to run our generator at the camp ground.

We use a 2KW Honda Generator and our Converter/Charger is a PD9260C. My battery bank is three GP24 85AH 12VDC Interstate batteries giving me 255AHs of capacity.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, the best method depends on how often & for how long of a time do you boondock ?

I also run a 6-volt system.

Solar ($$$) or generator. If you decide to use the Genny consider this:

Start with finding out what your convertor is capable of (charging mode) some,like mine, only output about 5 amps for charging. This amount of amps is too low & will not work.
Next, If the generator has a 12 volt charging output connection, determine what its capabilities are.
Also, what type of battery charger do you have ? manual or "smart"

a very good web site source for information is below:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

PS: IF CHARGING IS DONE USING A BATTERY CHARGER U MAY NEED TO DISCONNECT THE COACH FROM THE BATTERIES ( POS & NEG ) PRIOR TO CONNECTING & USING THE BATTERY CHARGER
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Mootpoint wrote:
For a fast charge I use the battery charger. The charger will put out 10 amps, my converter puts out maybe 2.
When I boondock I set out my 120 solar panel and forget about the genny unless I need AC.

How old is your converter? A current model will put out much more than the charger on a Honda generator. My 89 Fleetwood Jamboree would only charge at 3 amps. That drove me crazy so I installed solar panels and used a portable charger with the generator.,
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The built in Honda charger is about 3-5 amps output at 12 volts.

The trailer charger is probably 45+ amps output, so I would suggest using the trailer RV power cord to the generator, and let it run about 2 hours at a time, morning and evening. Perhaps 1 hour is enough? It all depends on your battery usage.

Want it hassle free? Install a pair of 150 watt solar panels, and forget about charging the batteries at all. You will make up the 35 amp hours that the CO meter, propane detector and refrigerator use, along with make up for some of your light usage, and other misc. loads.

SunElec.com THey sell some 12 volt 'nominal' panels, call and ask. Also look for a 20 - 30 amp PWM controller.

For panel mounts, I used 6" long 2" angle aluminum on each corner of the solar panel, with 3 #10 screws into the roof with some rubber roof sealant to make it leak tight. And a 5/16" hole for a 1/4" bolt into the solar panel frame, to hold it in place. It will also allow tilting if you want to give the best input, if you will be boondocking for a long time. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
For a fast charge I use the battery charger. The charger will put out 10 amps, my converter puts out maybe 2.
When I boondock I set out my 120 solar panel and forget about the genny unless I need AC.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Hard to tell without the converter model and portable charger rating.

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
To charge it is 1 neg on the one 6 volt and 1 positive on the other 6 volt battery. I'm not sure there is any fast way to charge 2 6 volt batteries but I suspect a charger would be faster than the converter.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would hook the TT cord to the Honda. the converter will put more amps into the battery than any auto charger will.