cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt q20

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
See an ad for a Curt Q20 and no rails. Guy said he sold camper and hitch was used one time. Opinions.

I have a Reese Slider and never use the slider. Will the Reese rails fit?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
23 REPLIES 23

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Widows Son wrote:
We have the Q20 with the Dodge Ram puck mount. Great hitch.

X2 except mine is the slider. This will be my third season with it and I have had zero issues. The biggest gripe I have with it is the weight but I guess that's what you get with a slider rated for 20k lbs.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Widows_Son
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Q20 with the Dodge Ram puck mount. Great hitch.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually Long bed 4x4
6.7 HD Cummins TD, Aisin Transmission, 3.73
2015 Jayco Eagle 339FLQS

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Curt 16 for three years with no problem. It has a slider but I have not need it. There are probably better ones but more expensive. However, I am not sure they are worth the difference. I pull my FW from WI to TX and FL and all places in between every year with no difficulties. No problem with the hitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"If you are not exactly lined up the head tilts one way or another, or front to back, and won't latch. It gets 3/4 latched but that last bit is tough."

That is exactly what was happening to the inlaws Curt/RAM 25K when i was helping him hitch.

Reporting MY experience for newbies or people in the market for a new hitch is BASHING? I can tell you I get several PM's telling me they are happy with their B&W.

If YOU are happy with YOUR hitch that's great.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SanMarMor wrote:
B&W and Anderson must be some mythical super hitch, because anytime someone asks an opinion on some make of hitch, there are always the posts that say buy this brand, everything else is junk, which doesn't help answer the question asked.

I'll instead answer the question the OP asked. Curt fits industry standard rails. They are a great hitch. They are NOT a pita to hitch like B&W promoters suggest, you just have to be smart enough to do it the right way, and it's easy. Hitch and unhitch first try every time.

Mark

I used to feel the same way about my RBW until I saw the light!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
SanMarMor wrote:

They are NOT a pita to hitch like B&W promoters suggest, you just have to be smart enough to do it the right way, and it's easy. Hitch and unhitch first try every time.

Mark

Q5 20k Older model I guess

I guess I'm just not smart enough. I've tried exact same height, 1/4" higher, 1/2" higher, 1/4" lower, and about every other combination. If you are not exactly lined up the head tilts one way or another, or front to back, and won't latch. It gets 3/4 latched but that last bit is tough. Some day's I'm lucky, some days not. It just don't close that last bit unless everything is exactly right. It could be something is wrong with the hitch as I bought it used but looked like it maybe had one usage, light scrapes on head is all. If anyone has any solutions I'm all ears otherwise I'm buying something else. 45 min of back & forth is BS. This replaced a Husky 16k slider which I never had a problem with except it's weight. I never used the slider.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
Happy Prospector wrote:
I guess it would be too hard to call Reese to see if the Curt would fit or if the rails are even heavy enough to tow with the Curt. Good Grief!!

It's people like you that ruin what is normally a very useful and friendly website. Happy huh? That's debatable at best!
You do realize he also asked for opinions on the hitch don't you? Good grief x 10!

Op... Yes, the Curt will fit standard rails. And the Curt is a highly regarded hitch. Only complaints I have heard about them is they can be finicky to unhitch and are heavy!

x20

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
SanMarMor wrote:
B&W and Anderson must be some mythical super hitch, because anytime someone asks an opinion on some make of hitch, there are always the posts that say buy this brand, everything else is junk, which doesn't help answer the question asked.

I'll instead answer the question the OP asked. Curt fits industry standard rails. They are a great hitch. They are NOT a pita to hitch like B&W promoters suggest, you just have to be smart enough to do it the right way, and it's easy. Hitch and unhitch first try every time.

Mark

They must be slipping, I made it to the second page before reading how wonderful the B&W hitch is and everyone else buys junk.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I have Q16 slider I've been meaning to sell. It works fine but clunks some stopping and taking off. Going down the highway is fine, and it's not difficult at all to hitch or unhitch. For the money Curt if fine, but there are better hitches on the market for sure.

Fully agree!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I have Q16 slider I've been meaning to sell. It works fine but clunks some stopping and taking off. Going down the highway is fine, and it's not difficult at all to hitch or unhitch. For the money Curt if fine, but there are better hitches on the market for sure.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
Had my Curt Q20 for about 3 years and never had a problem with hitching or unhitching. They fit standard rails and are very well made.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
I guess it would be too hard to call Reese to see if the Curt would fit or if the rails are even heavy enough to tow with the Curt. Good Grief!!

That really helps the guy out. Thanks for stepping up!

As mentioned it will fit the rails as I had one and sold it yesterday. It was great but heavy. Did the research and now have a BW RVK for ford prep. Wanted some more capacity for the toyhauler and something I can take out of the bed myself.
Both good/great hitches IMO.

Good luck. Good on you for asking questions as I thought that is the purpose of forums like this.

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO I would spend the money and buy a B&W. You will NOT have the trouble hitching as mentioned above. I helped an inlaw hitch his Curt/RAM 25K twice and in all honesty it was a PITA compared to the B&W.

The B&W Patriot RVK 3285 $649 rail mount is a 18k hitch, compare it to Curt's 20K and you can see either B&W under rates their hitches or Curt over rates theirs.

BTW all Curt 5er hitches are Made in China and all B&W products are designed and Made in USA with US components.