cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged 5er hitch by backing too hard

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I've been hitching up for many years with no problem until this summer.
The hitch head is supposed to be a little higher than the kingpin. But this time, it must have been several inches higher. As I slowly backed into the kingpin the truck was stopped by the pin box, which did not rise up to engage.

I pressed the gas pedal a little with no result. Now the big mistake: I pressed the gas pedal a little bit more. This time, the 2021 F350 (with 1,000 foot-pounds of torque) lurched back and made a very hard impact with the trailer.

The upshot was that both my front jacks and my (brand new) hitch head were damaged. The jacks would operate, but only slowly (the motor was really struggling). The hitch release arm could be pulled out only by rigging up a hydraulic jack. Total cost: more than $1,000.

Don't do what I did. If your pin box does not lift up to engage easily as you are slowly backing then get out and raise the pin box.
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
This story makes me real happy that I can control my front landing gear with my phone...

I simply go to hitch height on my 6 point, get in the truck and get close.... then I raise or lower to my desired height... then I back under "gently" :B

Show off!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
With my Superglide, I always would ride up the hitch and never sensed the trailer lifting or moving back at all (chocks still in place). In fact, the effect would always be compression of the rear truck suspension. But, that's all history with my new truck and Andersen hitch. It's a little tougher to align the ball (fore/aft) but a cinch with a second person or camera assist.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The OP was right to allow the trailer to be raised by the hitch. What he failed to do is back up to the pin box and get out to check the height is correct. With my levelup system, the hitch height will be different if the trailer has been idle for several weeks.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Good PSA. Only problem I’ve ever had with my SuperGlide was high hitching and bending the trigger, had to take head off of hitch to fully release and bend pin back. Pullrite customer service was fabulous and sent me two trigger pins (in case I did it again 🙂 ) for free. Since then I’ve always had the pin box ride up the hitch an inch or more to avoid high hitching. I also leave chocks in while hitching to avoid putting pressure on the front jacks.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
I never hitch lifting the trailer, most of the time there is an air gap between the wheel and the plate and gently back in and lower the trailer onto the wheel, have never had a high hitch problem doing it this way and always make sure I am straight on for the hitch.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:

You know you can operate the landing gear with out the phone.

No, really? Lol

Just kidding poster friend, that I quoted. :R

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
MFL wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
This story makes me real happy that I can control my front landing gear with my phone...

I simply go to hitch height on my 6 point, get in the truck and get close.... then I raise or lower to my desired height... then I back under "gently" :B

Kids an their tech stuff! Lose their phone, can't leave the house! :B

Jerry

Yeah, but do they know it? 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
MFL wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

Jerry

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:

Jerry

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have to have hitch pressure on my lube plate in order center my wide hitch jaws in the kingpin groove. I need an 1/8" clearance top and bottom, otherwise the hitch jaws won't snap close. I generally compress the air hitch about half an inch. I too have to do a number of cab trips. I would have to ram the trailer pretty darn hard to damage my hitch.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
Back decades ago, my Dad had clip mounted to a magnet and a beaded chain like we used to turn on lights.
Unhook, pull the truck out. Before adjust to level hang the chain so end is just above ground with magnet in same spot. Ready to hook up, put magnet back in place, work the jack until chain just touch ground. Unless 5th wheel is way down in front, no issues with lifting trailer, mash truck down less than half inch if at all.
I don't know about pickups with air bags, but with trucks we sometimes have issues pulling out from under a trailer w/o dumping suspension. Unloading, the frame comes up faster than leveling valve can adjust. Top of bed could get ugly.

That's a great method! If only after all these years I would remember to set that system up.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I use two screw/stick on levels. One is movable and I set it
at zero for the unhook height so when time to hook up I just raise to zero. The other is to level the trailer front to back

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I set the trailer height so there is a slight teeny bit of ramp up to avoid high hitching. I never lift an RV trailer ramping it with the truck. I take my time in and out of the cab as needed. They are too flimsy.

RoyF ‘s experience is good advice. Due to bad manners on the inter web most people would not share a story of a boo boo that caused damage.

Thanks RoyF

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear this but after so many times we all could have an issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad