cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor roof sealant - remove or caulk on top of?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Since I currently have no leaks and want to keep it that way, I have decided to perform the following maintenance and repairs on the roof, of my recently purchased, 1998 Jayco 243RKS. The unit is in overall very good condition. It appears to have been well taken care of. Previous owner purchased new.

Question: When using self-leveling Dicor to cover cracks in current Dicor caulking, does this older stuff have to be removed before new caulk is added?

Does the following process sound correct.....?

1. Eternabond tape all around the edges of the metal panels (panels appear to be previous owner's roof repairs. I don't know what type of damage warranted metal panels, but I don't want to remove them since they are not leaking).

2. Remove plexiglass over shower (another previous owners repairs). Previous owner placed a sheet of plexiglass over skylight hole instead of replacing with a new skylight.

I am goiung to use butyl tape between new skylight and rubber roof. Screw skylight down to roof. Apply Dicor over all edges of skylight, covering all screws.

3. Apply Dicor over all existing areas of caulk (vents, AC, etc) that are cracked.

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
7 REPLIES 7

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have the right idea! However, make sure that you do not put the Dicor Lap Sealant under the new skylight. Instead, put butyl tape between the skylight and the roof.

X2
I would add don't use any brand sealant in place of the butyl tape.
If the butyl tape job is done right and the screw heads are sealed there will be no water leaks. A lap sealant is just the second line of defense against water intrusion. Pay close attention to a good seal on all screw heads in the roof as this is generally where water has a straight line into wood or the units interior.

Use the you tube and google function and pay attention to how the pro shops or the product mfg do it. The product websites usually have very good you tube's on how its done ...the right way.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dicor
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Baja Man!

Sounds like you have the right idea! However, make sure that you do not put the Dicor Lap Sealant under the new skylight. Instead, put butyl tape between the skylight and the roof.

Use Dicor Di-Seal over the edges of the panels that are for repair.

Wipe existing seal with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol and then re-caulk any voids or cracks โ€“ it is not necessary to remove the old seal if it is stuck to the roof.

Hope this is helpful! Feel free to contact Dicor with any questions that you might have! 574-264-2699

Safe and Happy Travels!
Dicor

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 3 new skylites , Mfg rec Butyl tape then dicor,which is how the original mfg Newmar had done them.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought about a solar panels, but they could have been. However, the L shaped metal repair (towards front) wouldn't necesarily be a solar panel that shape, or could it? I don't see any wiring into the coach or any holes drilled to accommodate wiring. I will check more.

I thought petroleum distillates (mineral spirits, acetone, etc) were not to be used on EPDM?

I thought butly tape under skylight was preferred method with Dicor on top?

My new skylight is one piece Lexan (not double walled. I have not seen double walled. I do have an opaque colored plastic cover that inserts from inside shower up into exterior skylight; it covers all the wood framing see i pic.

Here is link to where I purchased new skylight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-x-25-RV-Trailer-Smoke-Tinted-Skylight-Plastic-Lexan-Polycarbonate-14-x-22-id-/331513761292?hash=item4d2fc28e0c&vxp=mtr
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
1st photo looks like PO removed a solar panel. ??????

I agree use Dicor. You can use eterna bond tape where necessary on seams. Sticknbond tape is made my same people. I have used it. Remove botched repair over shower and replace with double walled cover. I use
mineral spirits for cleaning around area first.
When you see botched repairs like over the shower by PO it should ring a bell. Search further for any other things PO repaired. If that was a removed solar panel you may want to check more into RV wiring and POs workmanship. May save you some headaches later during a trip.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dont use putty tape on the roof. Instead use lots of Dicor under, and after screwed in place around edges and over screw heads. Clean, dry, remove any loose old calking and reapply fresh Dicor.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribing to this thread to this thread. I need to learn.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus