cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time owner-Black water tank clogged....help!

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,I just got a 1990 5th wheel trailer, first time ever experience with one. Just moved into a trailer park a month ago and when I did I left both my valves open thinking that everything would drain and I wouldn't have to bother emptying the tank not think king that the black water tank would release the liquid waste and hold the solid waste. This morning I noticed it was nearing the top. I poured some rv tank treatment in it and let it sit for a few hours and then i decided to shake the trailer to see if I could dislodge anything. All i did was silslodge The liquid. At this point I closed the black water tank valve, added some more water and tank additive and it's been sitting for about an hour. What should I do. Thank you very much in advance for any help and I apologize for my stupidity in these matters!
36 REPLIES 36

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Man, all of you guys are great and really helpful and full of some great suggestions. I appreciate it allot, really. I havnt been able to get to it as I'm broke and working long hours and get home well after dark. I'm going to dive into the belly of the beast on saturday. Not sure which method I'm going to use yet though. I will report back on how much fun I had. Thanks again guys!

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
A flushing wand has been standard equpt. on my RV's for over 30 years. I made mine but improved it by adding the head of a toilet plunger to prevent "backsplash". I insert the wand until it hits the tank bottom. Then slide the rubber down to the bowl before turning on the water.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Any field of human endeavor, there's more to it than meets the eye. You aren't the first to suffer this fate, and you won't be the last.

I, too, would find or make a "flushing wand," for this job as well as future "thorough cleaning" of your black tank. A flushing wand consists of a length of 1/2 inch PVC or CPVC water pipe long enough to reach down through the toilet clear to the bottom of the black tank, with a couple feet to spare. On one end put a cap and drill 3 or 4 holes to the side evenly spaced around the cap. On the other end, put a garden hose adapter. While you are at it, buy a valved hose/hose connector.

You can use that wand to fish around down there (yum-boy, what fun!) and break up the disgusting pyramid and flush it out the drain. Do remember to wear your safety goggles and rubber gloves while doing that job. Maybe a clear full-face shield would be even better.

Good luck, my friend.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I had it happen to me because I bought a unit used that had never left a campground, shortly after purchase I had the pyramid.

I went to the hardware store and got a water blaster, it s a black rubber bladder that expands with water pressure and blows a clog out of a sewer line. It goes on the end of the hose and is about the size of a cucumber, I put it through the toilet just at the top of the tank and turned the hose on, after the blaster filled the gush of water broke though and got the clog out, a few more finished clearing the tank.
I always knew to keep the valves closed but the person that had the unit for the short time before I bought it from them did not get that bit of information.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
wow that first video was graphic!!!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would close the black tank valve & add a good healthy dose of Rix-x and let it sit 24 hours then add some more water and drain. Repeat this a couple of times till tank drains well. After that I would use with the tank valve closed and and add a dose of Rid-x after every empting for a few cycles to eat up all the solid matter in ther. After that only open the black tank to dump.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Wally World has RidX
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
From all these methods mentioned, I think the stick down the hole is probably the best. Second best would be the wand down the hole. But after using the stick.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Get a flushing wand and just keep working it, eventually it will break up and turn into slurry.
Then use a couple of 5 gallon water tanks and pour down the toilet with the dump valve open. That fast flow works better than empting a full tank for a good tank flush. I do that now and again during regular use for a good tank cleaning.

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
never had that issue but there is a digest it and you pour 1 pint down the black tank and fill with water and within 24 hrs it will dissolve all solids. I purchase mine from amazon.

Unique Natural Products RV Digest-It Holding Tank Cleaner, 128-Ounce

by Unique Natural Products

then use it after each flush. this is the gal size. Hope this helps.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
You basically have a big cement turd in the tank. Close tank and fill it with water. Get a cordless drill with one of those metal paint mixer blades. Shoot it down there and run it for 10-15 minutes. Don't take mixer out of soup while running, and if you do don't breath through your mouth!

Flush tank, rinse, repeat.

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
A bunch of good videos on YouTube about clogged black holding tanks and some handy insights. Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WRAxTdET0

Thanku il check this out shortly. Appreciate it.

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
A bunch of good videos on YouTube about clogged black holding tanks and some handy insights. Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WRAxTdET0

Thankyou you, il check this out shortly. Appreciate it.

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
this happened to me in Yuma last year. I dumped the black tank and got to doing something else and forgot the valve was open, so I found out when the tank got full the next time around. What I did is I went to a rv dealer who told me I had maybe two choices, use a waste digester or have a guy come out to see if he could pump it out. buying the digester is a lot cheaper so I went with that option. I poured two bottles in , added water to the top and let it set for three or four days. we were lucky we had a bathroom in the little house we were next to. in that length of time the stool was fluid enough to drain when I opened the valve. then I clean out the tank with a flushing wand and counted my blessings. I will never dump again and leave the area until the tank is empty .

Thankyou, I think IL go this route first as it is less messy if it works. Where do I get the bottles of waste digester, at an rv supplies store?

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto