cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time owner-Black water tank clogged....help!

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,I just got a 1990 5th wheel trailer, first time ever experience with one. Just moved into a trailer park a month ago and when I did I left both my valves open thinking that everything would drain and I wouldn't have to bother emptying the tank not think king that the black water tank would release the liquid waste and hold the solid waste. This morning I noticed it was nearing the top. I poured some rv tank treatment in it and let it sit for a few hours and then i decided to shake the trailer to see if I could dislodge anything. All i did was silslodge The liquid. At this point I closed the black water tank valve, added some more water and tank additive and it's been sitting for about an hour. What should I do. Thank you very much in advance for any help and I apologize for my stupidity in these matters!
36 REPLIES 36

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
this happened to me in Yuma last year. I dumped the black tank and got to doing something else and forgot the valve was open, so I found out when the tank got full the next time around. What I did is I went to a rv dealer who told me I had maybe two choices, use a waste digester or have a guy come out to see if he could pump it out. buying the digester is a lot cheaper so I went with that option. I poured two bottles in , added water to the top and let it set for three or four days. we were lucky we had a bathroom in the little house we were next to. in that length of time the stool was fluid enough to drain when I opened the valve. then I clean out the tank with a flushing wand and counted my blessings. I will never dump again and leave the area until the tank is empty .

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:
You do have a mess on your hands. I once had a stoppage in my black tank but not for the reason that you have. I was at a campground and one of the workers suggested that I get a water hose and stick it down in the tank to flush the tank. It worked for me so you might try it.

Thanku, I think IL start with some added water and try stirring it up with some type of broom handle or such. Thanks for ur reply. I appreciate it.

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid is getting through the line, the tank is just clogged with all the solid waste. Not sure if there's any solid waste stuck in the line, at least not enough to impede the liquid waste in the line.

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
You do have a mess on your hands. I once had a stoppage in my black tank but not for the reason that you have. I was at a campground and one of the workers suggested that I get a water hose and stick it down in the tank to flush the tank. It worked for me so you might try it.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry my friend. Am I to understand no liquid is exiting through the drain hose? f it were me I would consider removing drain hose and getting a cap with a hose ftting so you can attempt to sent some water into the line and loosen the clog. If the clog is in the line this could work. Others may have other thoughts. Let us know what works please
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Oh nice... I was afraid that was what I was going to have to do. Thankyou very much and I'll let u know how it turns out. I appreciate the advice and quick reply.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got the dreaded poop pyramid. You have a few choices, allof them messy. Close the black tank valve, add some water, and take something like a broom handle and going down thru the toilet try to break it up. Once you have the tank cleaned and drained. Remember, leave the black tank valve closed until the tank is full or nearly full.