cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel station filter questions

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, first post here. I have already learned a lot just by lurking, lol. I have a question hopefully you guys can help with. I have a 2012 Palomino Puma FW. Have to replace the pump for the fuel station. We ride dirtbikes, which don't have inline filters. I don't want to pump unfiltered fuel into them and clog jets. I can add a cheap inline filter to the 1/2" supply line, or I can add a pressure-rated filter inside the fuel box on the pressure side. I think the pressure side filter is the safest bet, instead of the pump having to suck fuel through the filter. Anybody done this and have suggestions as to how to do it or which filters work best?? I can probably figure it out, but looking to see if anyone has a really trick setup that has worked well for them.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH
13 REPLIES 13

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about just trying the rebuild kit, but considering that we camp in the middle of the national forest, miles away from anything, I felt that it was cheap insurance to just replace the entire assembly. May have wasted a little money, but I am confident that it will start when I hit the switch. I didn't know that the gears swelling are a common issue, will try that if it ever happens again. Heck, may throw a rebuild kit into the pump I just took out and keep it on the shelf as a spare, assuming it fixes the problem. Thanks for that piece of info.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
rmoore0852 wrote:

allcool, pump would not run all the time. When it did start, amp draw was way too high, and amps increased as it ran. Pump rated to draw 11 amps. Running for about 10 seconds, it was approaching 19 amp draw when I shut it down to prevent blowing the fuse. 75% of the time when you flipped the switch it would click, but not start. Same once removed and on the bench. New one works perfectly, every time.

Sounds like your gears are swollen up causing the pump to bind and cause high amperage draw. Common problem. Hopefully you caught it before it burnt up the motor..?
Might be able to get a gear set rebuild kit for free or $20.
Some have found, sanding the gears on a flat plate, fixes the issue...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
rmoore0852 I'm not Modern yet! And good point on fuel injection.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Mr. Funnel. We'll see............
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Mr Funnel, will have to get one of those for other applications. I appreciate all the suggestions of filters on the bikes, and I do have filters on my carbureted bikes. With that said, my original question was how to filter the fuel being dispensed, not find a way around it. Modern MX bikes are all fuel injected, meaning the fuel pump is inside the tank. An in-line filter after the pump does you no good at all, since even small pieces of trash will hurt these little, high pressure pumps. I also don't want to have to ask someone who is about to fill up "WAIT--- do you have a fuel filter???"

I ended up finding a WIX filter part #33299 that spliced right into my 1/2" supply line. Neat, easy, still flows great. I really would have liked to put a clear filter on the pressure side so I could see water and/or sediment, but I didn't have the room without some really rednecky plumbing to get clearance. I may mess around with it later, since even relocating the fuel pump wouldn't be too hard, I have lots of room down there.

allcool, pump would not run all the time. When it did start, amp draw was way too high, and amps increased as it ran. Pump rated to draw 11 amps. Running for about 10 seconds, it was approaching 19 amp draw when I shut it down to prevent blowing the fuse. 75% of the time when you flipped the switch it would click, but not start. Same once removed and on the bench. New one works perfectly, every time.

I do realize that there are strainers in the fuel system from the factory, however there is a huge difference between a strainer and a filter.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The Mr. Funnel looks like a good option.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, sounds good at first glance, but maybe,,, not.

Diffidently already have a filter/strainer in the pump, and maybe also one in the nozzle depending on what nozzle you have.

Adding an external filter assembly, lower than the tank, with additional fuel fittings/connections exposed under your toy Hauler, although a small possibility if done right, it still is a possible hazard from leaking/siphoning fuel from a damaged filter or its connections.

To me, already having a screen/filter in the pump, and knowing clean fuel only is carefully put in the TH fuel tank,makes an additional redundant fuel system modification a possibly dangerous not so good an idea imo.

Not to say one couldn't install a filter in the system, in a protected area, with all the correct fittings/hoses/connections/mounts/etc..., just is it really needed...?

Why is the pump being changed, whats wrong with it...?

Never seen any bike, quad, SxS, jetski, sled, etc... that didn't have some type of mesh filter screen on the fuel pickup or fuel petcock, or in the the fuel pump on some of the efi engines.

I use this 'Mr. Funnel' that separates out water and debris when I think its needed.
jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
rmoore0852 wrote:
Trackrig, thank you, that was one of the filters I am looking at using. Where is yours mounted? It won't fit inside the fuel station box, so it would have to mount outside along the frame rail. Plenty of ground clearance, but worried about breaking the plastic bowl. Is it pretty sturdy?

Strabo, that's not an option. I often ride with friends and fill their bikes, quads, UTVs from my fuel station.

Richard,

I use these filters on the pump in the back of my truck - I don't know if they'll fit your application. Sometimes I run the filters in pairs so I have both a sediment and water filter. I also like that up here I can get replacement filters almost anywhere - it's almost like fifty years ago someone declared that they will be the standard fuel filter.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
rmoore0852 wrote:

Strabo, that's not an option. I often ride with friends and fill their bikes, quads, UTVs from my fuel station.

Buy a case of them so everyone has one on thier bike.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Put filters on your bikes.

2nd that!

I have inline filters on all of my dirtbikes.

Let us know how that works out for you, it seems like a lot of extra work. but who I'm I. Some of you guys come up with the most B I T C H E N ideas
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig, thank you, that was one of the filters I am looking at using. Where is yours mounted? It won't fit inside the fuel station box, so it would have to mount outside along the frame rail. Plenty of ground clearance, but worried about breaking the plastic bowl. Is it pretty sturdy?

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Put filters on your bikes.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Goldenrod Filters are very good. You can put either a sediment or water filter in them. I generally use the sediment filter and watch for water buildup in the bottom of the filter which can be drained. If you use the water filter, and get a slug of it, it will stop allowing any fuel or water through it, so make sure you always have one or two spares with you.

Filter Cliky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.