cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with hitch decision

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a new Grand Design Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:
I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).
It has to be something I can lift out myself without a hoist.
It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel.

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would be appreciated!
50 REPLIES 50

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
gwcamp wrote:
Hi all would like to know if a trail air pin box would work with Anderson set up. Thanks GW.

According to Andersen, they have users reporting back favorable results using the Trail Air. One thing to be aware of is the height of your truck bed. In my case, the 2015 GMC is so high that adding the Trail Air would mean my 5er would be an inch or two off level. Lowering the hitch (Andersen or others) isn't a solution because the 5er would be to close to the bed rails.

A solution that does work well in cases like this is the Reese 5th Airborne whose shock and airbag are internal and it does not add the extra height that the Trail Airs do.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shepstone wrote:
I like the simplicity and strength of the B&W and being able to slide the truck under it just enough to slightly lift the fiver for a positive connection, (thanks to Cummins12v98 for recommending it) but I can see where some would like the light weight of the Anderson

You are VERY welcome!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
I like the simplicity and strength of the B&W and being able to slide the truck under it just enough to slightly lift the fiver for a positive connection, (thanks to Cummins12v98 for recommending it) but I can see where some would like the light weight of the Anderson
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
W5CI wrote:
I jsut got a new 2015 RAM 3500 with the Prep Kit, a clean floor when hitch is removed, I would post a picture but I cant figure out how

Setup a free Photobucket account, upload the pictures to it and then just embed the link it a post. Chris

Or ... go to http://postimage.org/
... free pic hosting and no need to sign up.

gwcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all would like to know if a trail air pin box would work with Anderson set up. Thanks GW.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Truck air bags. B&W companion slider hitch. 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3750FL Fifth wheel Camper. Cummins 5.5 generator Goodyear G614 tires.Trail AIR pin box.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
W5CI wrote:
I jsut got a new 2015 RAM 3500 with the Prep Kit, a clean floor when hitch is removed, I would post a picture but I cant figure out how

Setup a free Photobucket account, upload the pictures to it and then just embed the link it a post. Chris

I use RV.net photo posting. It's very easy and it takes the pics right off your computer.

In fact I use it on every site I post on except for turbodieselregister.com, theirs is the fastest easiest I have seen.

With Photobucket or other similar service you just upload it once! And you still have possession of your photos with the ability to delete them from a single point. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
W5CI wrote:

I use RV.net photo posting. It's very easy and it takes the pics right off your computer.

In fact I use it on every site I post on except for turbodieselregister.com, theirs is the fastest easiest I have seen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
Does anyone have a problem with just releasing a hitch from the truck (while leaving it clamped on the king pin), elevating it with the landing gear, driving the truck out and storing it hanging from the 5th wheel?

This seems to be a pretty easy way to move and store the hitch. Given the design of the 5th wheel and hitch, the static load of a couple hundred pound hitch hanging from the king pin is nothing compared to what occurs while driving. Something tells me there will be many naysayers 🙂

My Dad has done that for many years with no ill effects!

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I wish now that i had gone with the Andersen hitch, just too much monkeying around to remove my 350 lb slider with a trans hoist, storing it etc.It would be just simpler to take out and install.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
W5CI wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
Does anyone have a problem with just releasing a hitch from the truck (while leaving it clamped on the king pin), elevating it with the landing gear, driving the truck out and storing it hanging from the 5th wheel?

This seems to be a pretty easy way to move and store the hitch. Given the design of the 5th wheel and hitch, the static load of a couple hundred pound hitch hanging from the king pin is nothing compared to what occurs while driving. Something tells me there will be many naysayers 🙂

Just be sure to padlock the release handle. The issue is reinstalling it. I think you will find that you set it back on the bed and pullout to manually lift it in place to latch it down OR spend a half hour getting the truck to the right position. I say this for actually having done it a couple times. I find with the hoist I can push it around enough for final alignment to drop it in the pucks.

Chris

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sport45 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I remove my B&W RVK3270 manual slider and Demco 6099 picture frame as a single unit from the RAM pucks with just my thumb and a HF hoist! Chris

I'm late to the party, but gotta say I like the way you used that vanity light fixture. I may have to do the same in place of a couple shop lights I have.

That is right over where I set up my 4' x 8' upholstery table. Yeah, I sew! OK, I have come clean. Had a ruff start 60 some years ago as a kid when I ran a needle through a finger with a treadle machine and had to turn it back up myself!

Chris

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of people do just that. I agree that it shouldn't harm anything but then again, I'm not a structural engineer.