cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitching Up to 5th Wheel

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote these notes down after the fact and so I would like some help in correcting them. I have only done this one time and that was with guidance.

1). Inspect hitch
2). Verify "open" position of jaws.
3). Open tailgate
4). Back up truck close to hitch pin
5). Adjust camper height to match hitch pin height on camper to jaws on hitch
6). Back up truck to lock camper pin into jaws on hitch.
7). Verify jaws are locked around pin.
8). Replace safety pin to lock hitch
9). Attach Safety Breakaway Wire to hitch
10). Plug in cord for lights and breaks.
11). Raise tail gate
12). Check to see if all lights are working.
13). Remove wheel chocks
14). Raise rear legs
15). Raise front lags.
16). Test trailer brakes.
17). Drive off

Hope i thought of everything.
Thanks in advance
Tony B
37 REPLIES 37

cor4743
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the brand, but it is a basic pinbox used on Montana Mountianeer. The hitch is a 16k Hitchiker.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cor4743 wrote:
When I hook up my fifth wheel using similar steps listed here, I find that when I am hooked up to the hitch, and go the raise the landing gear, the trailer begins to shuffle backwards on the pads before lifting off the ground. This maybe an inch or two or three, but can't be good for the landing gear. What if anything am I doing wrong.

Do you have a TriGlide pin box?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Once you have hooked up and visually checked the hitch is latched put the TV in neutral and let it settle. Then put it back in park and set the emergency brake, the gear shouldn't move when raising it.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

cor4743
Explorer
Explorer
When I hook up my fifth wheel using similar steps listed here, I find that when I am hooked up to the hitch, and go the raise the landing gear, the trailer begins to shuffle backwards on the pads before lifting off the ground. This maybe an inch or two or three, but can't be good for the landing gear. What if anything am I doing wrong.

cor4743
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
djousma wrote:
Agree with Spud. I reordered your list making a few changes that I would add. Many, including me will have the camper height a little low, so that the hitch requires resistance to get under king pin. this will ensure that you aren't "high hitching", which can lead to unexpected situations. Also, Raising front legs 1" off of ground before removing wheel chocks, and do a "pull test" to ensure you are truly hitched up, and don't drop the trailer off the hitch.

1). Raise rear legs
2). Inspect hitch
3). Verify "open" position of jaws.
4). Open tailgate
5). Back up truck close to hitch pin
6). Adjust camper height to just below hitch pin height on camper to jaws on hitch, so that king pin will "ride up" hitch.
7). Back up truck to lock camper pin into jaws on hitch.
8). Verify jaws are locked around pin.
9). Replace safety pin to lock hitch
10). Attach Safety Breakaway Wire to hitch
11). Plug in cord for lights and breaks.
12). Raise tail gate
13). Check to see if all lights are working.
14). Raise front legs 1" off ground
15). Perform "pull test" to verify securely hitched
16). Remove wheel chocks
17). Test trailer brakes.
18). Drive off

Great list. #6 is a absolute must for me. Trying to back up with the hitch pin to high or low can damage your hitch.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts on hitching.

I have a Draw-Tite which works the same as the Reese. I do the same as Likes to Tow. Have been with the same hitch since 2002. I also use the padlock on the locking lever as a place to attach my break away cable.

I always do a pull test after hitching, even if I am only moving my rig 2 ft.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Reese 16K which I have used now for 14 years. The instructions that came with the hitch instructs you to have the safety latch open but the handle in the closed position. As the king pin enters it pushes the jaws open, the handle will move outward and then as the jaws close the handle snaps back into place. I close the latch, put a pad lock through it and do a pull test. See instructions at this site http://www.reeseprod.com/content/downloads/installation/N30047.pdf

When I bought my first 5th wheel the dealer instructed me to do it this way and I have never had an issue. I always do a pull test after raising the landing gear two inches.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
Here is a tip that makes setting your fiver hitching height very easy. After disconnecting adjust the length of your brake cable so it just touches the ground. I used some small stainless chain with a brass snap connector on the end. Then when your ready to hitch up drop your cable down set your height and back in. Works every time very smooth.

Sounds interesting. Can you give a little more detail on how to set your cable up and then drop your cable down to set your height? Do you mean "after disconnecting? Do you mean unhooking your 5th wheel from the truck?

When you raise your fiver to disconnect, pull the truck out and the height the trailer is at adjust your breakaway cable to just touch the ground. Then when you want to hook up let you cable hang or dangle .Use the landing gear to raise or lower till you cable just touches the ground. That will be your hookup height. I have a brass snap clip on the end of my cable . It allows the cable to hang better .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a tip that makes setting your fiver hitching height very easy. After disconnecting adjust the length of your brake cable so it just touches the ground. I used some small stainless chain with a brass snap connector on the end. Then when your ready to hitch up drop your cable down set your height and back in. Works every time very smooth.

Even better is I took a small bubble level, glued a magnet on the back of it and have it stuck to the steel inside the propane compartment on the side of the fiver. After I unhook I move the whole level until it shows centered, then continue with the rest of my setup. When hitching back up I just need to raise the legs until the level is centered again and I know I am at the right height.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:

Sounds interesting. Can you give a little more detail on how to set your cable up and then drop your cable down to set your height? Do you mean "after disconnecting? Do you mean unhooking your 5th wheel from the truck?

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
All of the above sequence after you disconnect sewer, water hose, electric power, lower antennae, lower skylight covers, close windows, secure cabinets, close toilet lid, shut off pump, turn off hot water heater, place refrig on propane, lock side storage, put up steps, load wife, dogs, cats, grandkids, etc. etc.

Ohh and go back inside for the sun glasses, and last "pit stop" before hitting the road, so you can forget and leave the toilet seat up and let the wife's toothbrush fall in the bowl 😉

LOL, thanks for the laugh! Funny and so very true! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
okiejoe wrote:
Before driving off, put it in any position you like but check TV antenna is down.

X2 on this. Hate to admit it but this past weekend, we made it about 35 miles down the road before someone flagged us down. Oops!!!!

Thankfully all was ok. Luckily we hadn't hit anything, no damage.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
djousma wrote:
Tony B wrote:
The guy showing me everything told me to lock the trailer brakes by pressing to small levers together on the dash. That would lock the trailer brakes (testing) and also be the pull test at the same time.

That's true, except you want to leave your front legs an inch or two off the ground, instead of all the way up, just in case it does drop, it wont damage anything.

Been there. Done that. X2
Larry