cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honey wagon storage

bulletbob007
Explorer
Explorer
Right now i am keeping our honey wagon in our front compartment on our fifth wheel which takes up quite a bit of the available storage space.
I see a lot of units with them strapped on ladders but dont want that.(wife)
I'm looking at the rear area between bumper and rear axle.
It seems like something could be connected to the exposed frame rail that hinges on one side and unhooks on the other.
Anybody seen anything like that?
Im sure it would catch a lot of air back there so need to be able to secure it, and not worry about losing it.maybe use 1" square tubing or 1" emf steel conduit.
Any ideas out there?
15 REPLIES 15

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Check this outfit out, maybe use a under frame tire carrier for your tank. Might have to modify it but the basics are there.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hide-A-Spare-70-I-Beam-Frame-Underslung-Mount-p/92-0153.htm

THAT is the slickest inexpensive DIY fix I've ever seen for an RV.
Not to mention the website link. thanks! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Our 42 gallon tote rides between the hitch and tailgate in the bed of the truck. I run a bungee cord over it just to make sure it stays put. Five years and no issues.

I do exactly the same except with a pull strap. Don't trust bungee cords to much. And I've never had a single issue either.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

bulletbob007
Explorer
Explorer
I like bal spare tire holder. I think that will do the trick. As a previous post mentioned, it never hardly gets used but it is a life saver when you read it.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
How many times are you going to post this

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
korbe wrote:
laknox wrote:
korbe wrote:
bulletbob007 wrote:
.............I'm looking at the rear area between bumper and rear axle...........

I would be cautious of using that area since the clear area is often needed when entering driveways or elevation changes.

Why? Every tote I've ever seen is =much= shorter than the bed rails. Only if you had a massive, shock-absorbing pin box might this even come close to being a problem. In that case, you'd likely have more issues with the pin box hitting the sides of the bed than the tote.

Lyle

I thought the OP was describing the underside rear area of his 5er, not his truck bed.

:S Monday, and didn't get my cuppa...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
korbe wrote:
bulletbob007 wrote:
.............I'm looking at the rear area between bumper and rear axle...........

I would be cautious of using that area since the clear area is often needed when entering driveways or elevation changes.

Why? Every tote I've ever seen is =much= shorter than the bed rails. Only if you had a massive, shock-absorbing pin box might this even come close to being a problem. In that case, you'd likely have more issues with the pin box hitting the sides of the bed than the tote.

Lyle

I thought the OP was describing the underside rear area of his 5er, not his truck bed.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
korbe wrote:
bulletbob007 wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Check this outfit out, maybe use a under frame tire carrier for your tank. Might have to modify it but the basics are there.
BAL Undermount tire carrier

Now that is a whale of a good idea and a great price. Unless you happened to have the materials lying around you couldn't buy the steel and take the time to build this for $90.

I know they've geared this toward tires, but yeah, it would be perfect for a 'nasty tank' too.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Halmfamily wrote:
Our 42 gallon tote rides between the hitch and tailgate in the bed of the truck. I run a bungee cord over it just to make sure it stays put. Five years and no issues.

I did the same for several years, finally realized I never use it anymore so I sold it. YES, secure it as it can and will float around back there!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
bulletbob007 wrote:

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine rides between the 5th wheel and the tgate also. I strap it down as it does move if not.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My FW underside is not enclosed so I bungee it up in between the rails. I like the cover idea too. If a gal is an over achiever she could go with two tone colors and matching graphics. ๐Ÿ™‚

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hide-A-Spare-70-I-Beam-Frame-Underslung-Mount-p/92-0153.htm
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP