cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Like to hear from users of the Automated Safety Hitch

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am interested in hearing from people who are actually using an Automated Safety Hitch. What tow vehicle and what trailer, pros/cons etc.

Thanks.

To the non-users:

- DOT has confirmed no it is not a double tow/another trailer where I tow. It's ok.
- I have driven "A, B, & C" commercial truck combinations up to 140,000lbs GCWR.
- yes I know what it costs.
26 REPLIES 26

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
Are you saying you would not like to try it because it would pivot at the hitch on the bumper, therefore being like a double tow? If so, and I am not expert on this, but from what I have seen about these before is they attach at three points on the back of your truck so it moves straight..sort of like having a longer bed or at least a longer wheelbase.

If it does pivot, then I may have to agree with you because I have never double towed nor do I think I want to.

This is correct they do not pivot at the vehicle receiver. The axle steers by a lock releasing when the turn signals are activated. When the steering is locked out when driving straight the effect is a 8ft spread tandem rear axle. Very stable.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you saying you would not like to try it because it would pivot at the hitch on the bumper, therefore being like a double tow? If so, and I am not expert on this, but from what I have seen about these before is they attach at three points on the back of your truck so it moves straight..sort of like having a longer bed or at least a longer wheelbase.

If it does pivot, then I may have to agree with you because I have never double towed nor do I think I want to.

shovelhead86
Explorer
Explorer
I do a double tow. I don't think I would like that set up. Imagine attempting to back that thing up at all.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
majorgator wrote:
I could agree that the outer arms on the Automated Safety Hitch provide a certain amount of sway control between the truck and the hitch. However, I do not understand how they can provide weight distribution (in the sense relative to RV's) with only the latching system.

Either way, if your truck is rated to tow, say, 14,000 pounds MAX from the "conventional" position, then that's the limiting factor. It doesn't matter how you shift the weight around. And while it is helpful to have another braking axle, the truck braking is designed (theoretically) for the weight of the truck and max payload. Trailers of this class being talked about for this hitch should have sufficient braking on their own axles.

Maybe its because they are taking some weight off the back axle and putting it on the "tag" axle of the hitch. I guess we would know if there was a weight/scale comparison of someone using it and then not.IT seem it would solve the complaint so many bring up on this forum...the limiting factor of a 3/4 tonner is the capacity. As long as your GVWR/CGVWR is under the limits, you have shifted the weight of the cargo capacity limitation.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I'm told this device is used by pipeliners and other boomers who live in 5th wheel trailers and need the full use of their truck bed. I doubt such fellas care if "RVers" approve of the thing.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
I could agree that the outer arms on the Automated Safety Hitch provide a certain amount of sway control between the truck and the hitch. However, I do not understand how they can provide weight distribution (in the sense relative to RV's) with only the latching system.

Either way, if your truck is rated to tow, say, 14,000 pounds MAX from the "conventional" position, then that's the limiting factor. It doesn't matter how you shift the weight around. And while it is helpful to have another braking axle, the truck braking is designed (theoretically) for the weight of the truck and max payload. Trailers of this class being talked about for this hitch should have sufficient braking on their own axles.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
06Fargo wrote:
Thanks Lyle. Yes - when we tow using our hitch extension (with the truck camper loaded) the ball is 36in back of the truck receiver - a 16ft tandem cargo trailer almost tracks in the truck's tracks around the parking lot.

The "Mr Truck review" video shows how the unit couples to the tow vehicle - draft loads are transferred at the end of frame couplers. The center receiver has a V shape alignment fitting.

Lots of interesting well thought out features...

I took a quick look on the Net last night and did find another tag hitch that looks to be much heavier than the Automated. Looked to have 20" wheels on it. It was different in that it appeared to have only one attachment point, yet the wheels steered. I don't know how beefy a single, center, connection would have to be to horse that around, but I suspect it would likely be =heavier= than the 3-point system of the Automated system.

Later: Just re-checked and it's called Add An Axle (http://www.addanaxle.com/). What it looks like they've done is to use a standard receiver hitch, with a vertical swivel-plate behind it to allow for rocking/twisting motion and, what appears to be, a parallel linkage between that plate and the dolly itself to allow for vertical motion. They're rating the base unit with a 7k capacity axle with hydro-disk brakes, but imply that different axle capacities can be had.

Even later: OK, I zoomed in a picture of the dolly and they =are= using a 3-pt attachment, but the outer 2 attachments are with =chains= and ratchet binders instead of a hard-mount like Automated does. Makes a =whole= lot more sense, now. FWIW, their web site is very basic, with small pics that don't zoom and one video that doesn't work.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Lyle. Yes - when we tow using our hitch extension (with the truck camper loaded) the ball is 36in back of the truck receiver - a 16ft tandem cargo trailer almost tracks in the truck's tracks around the parking lot.

The "Mr Truck review" video shows how the unit couples to the tow vehicle - draft loads are transferred at the end of frame couplers. The center receiver has a V shape alignment fitting.

Lots of interesting well thought out features...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget that much of the factory calc of combined weight has to do with braking, not just load carrying. You're adding a whole other axle, with brakes, to the equation.

As to turning radius, it =will= be smaller than with a conventional FW hitch, because the king pin is so much further behind the axle. The back-end kicks out =away= from the center of the turn, which pulls the king pin further outside. I'd suspect that it's even smaller than a same-length TT on a standard receiver ball.

I did speak for a few minutes with the gentleman who owned the rig I saw in my pics, and he absolutely loved his setup. I don't believe it was the Automated hitch, but another one, which is no longer in business.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
majorgator wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
majorgator wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
I would guess the factory receiver would be subject to 1/3 of the trailer weight in a 3 point connection system?

If it were a 3-point connection system with weight bearing properties, you would be correct. However, the other 2 connection points of this system aren't built to handle any loads other than the lateral forces exerted in a turn.

I'll further note that my understanding the design of this system is based purely on the information given on their website. If the other connection points are meant for load bearing, I don't see any mention of it on the site.

I should have said 1/3 of the drawbar pull not trailer weight. The design appears to transfer very little weight to the tow vehicle.

I would agree that it transfers very little tongue weight, which is probably one of the best aspects of the unit. However, it doesn't offset the total "tow weight". If the RV plus the hitch weighs 15,000 pounds, then that's how much tow weight that's exerted onto the vehicle.

They state on their website FAQ's that the center receiver is "certified as a Class V..." - I read that to mean you can install a hitch and tow a class 5 type trailer (trailer weight and tongue weight) using their receiver, not that the Auto Safety Hitch unit plus a trailer coupled to it is limited to class V weight....

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
majorgator wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
I would guess the factory receiver would be subject to 1/3 of the trailer weight in a 3 point connection system?

If it were a 3-point connection system with weight bearing properties, you would be correct. However, the other 2 connection points of this system aren't built to handle any loads other than the lateral forces exerted in a turn.

I'll further note that my understanding the design of this system is based purely on the information given on their website. If the other connection points are meant for load bearing, I don't see any mention of it on the site.

I should have said 1/3 of the drawbar pull not trailer weight. The design appears to transfer very little weight to the tow vehicle.

I would agree that it transfers very little tongue weight, which is probably one of the best aspects of the unit. However, it doesn't offset the total "tow weight". If the RV plus the hitch weighs 15,000 pounds, then that's how much tow weight that's exerted onto the vehicle.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
justafordguy wrote:
What happens with this hitch when backing up? Seems like it would be odd.

Looking at it I'm not sure if anything would "happen". The trailer pin pivot is near the end of the vehicle so it would back like a bumper hitched trailer I guess. You notice there is no pivot point at the rear of the tow vehicle? It attaches at 3 places.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
majorgator wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
What happens with this hitch when backing up? Seems like it would be odd.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker