cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Little nose high - adjust hitch or pinbox?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just took our first trip with our new 5th wheel this past weekend. It's a little nose high when hooked up - see pics

I have a Patriot 16K hitch that I can adjust down one more hole - and/or I can adjust the pinbox on the camper up - which would be better?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure doesn't look like 3 inches.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
seems to me like you need to adjust your hitch and pin box to around 6-6.5" of clearance and raise the fifthwheel as well - might be able to upgrade to 16" wheels and if you have enough room run a taller tire, I did this and gained a little over an inch of lift by doing so. Also you may have adjustment on the spring hangers but be careful that if you put them on the lowest run that the hanger should be at minimum boxed so it won't fold over.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Well how much clearance do you have above the bed rails? You can do either change, but keep at least 6" between rails and 5er.
You look to be in range of 4" to 6"' nose high or it is the angle of the photo.

I agree! The RV is MUCH more out of level than thought. It took adding 3" risers to level my RV, pic does not show that much.

I had about 1,600# more weight on rear axle!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to go weigh each axle to see if you even need to lower the front.

Put one axle on the drive wheel plate and one on the trailer plate at a CAT scale. You should do this loaded for a trip or as close to your normal load as practicable.

If you are only a 100 lbs different from one axle to the other then I would not change anything.

Equalizing the weight on the axles is better than being perfectly level when hooked up, especially if you are over 400 lbs heavy on one axle versus the other.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well how much clearance do you have above the bed rails? You can do either change, but keep at least 6" between rails and 5er.

Yes, the pic does look like nose is too high. The OP does not give bed rail clearance, but looks to be well over 6"s. If that is the case, you should drop the hitch the final inch first. The Patriot is easy to adjust. Now measure bed rail clearance. If clearance is still more than 6"s, I'd raise the pin box to get as close to level as possible, while keeping the clearance to the 6" minimum.

An inch or two nose high is acceptable IMO.

Jerry

Yes, but nothing feels better than towing level! ??

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:

Yes, the pic does look like nose is too high. The OP does not give bed rail clearance, but looks to be well over 6"s. If that is the case, you should drop the hitch the final inch first. The Patriot is easy to adjust. Now measure bed rail clearance. If clearance is still more than 6"s, I'd raise the pin box to get as close to level as possible, while keeping the clearance to the 6" minimum.

An inch or two nose high is acceptable IMO.

Jerry

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I would adjust pin box up on the RV if it were me. Dropping your hitch one hole will move your pin box lower into your truck bed cutting down on clearance around your pin box when turning.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Either adjustment would work fine. Whichever one is easier on you is the one I'd pick. However, as others have already stated, it looks ok to me. The one inch of adjustment isn't going to make much difference IMO. And your bed clearance looks good.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Double-check your spring hangars and see if you've got any adjustment there. If only 1-2" nose-high, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you've got adequate clearance with the truck bed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice! If nose high not by much.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad