cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin XPS RIBS Tires

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
After doing a lot of research on several RV and transport company forums I found most of the folks were happy with Michelin XPS RIBS tires. I bought a set a few years ago and have been amazed at how good they are.

Today I stopped by the storage lot to check the air in the tires to get the RV ready for a trip. In two years of sitting each of the tires had only lost 2 PSI of air.

My previous 3 sets of tires would lose up to 20 PSI over the course of several months of sitting.
29 REPLIES 29

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
GHop wrote:
This is confusing.

Sorry if we confused you.
What part can we help you better understand ??
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
This is confusing.
G.H.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
After all the Michelin bashing, i’m surprised that Michelin allows FastEagle or CALandLIN or whatever his current screen name is any where near their plant. Interesting to see that he is now referring to himself in the third person.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

LOL...where have we read that before and no one has forgot your continual bash on the XPS Ribs and Michelin that got no where.
Rave on...

Multiple user names across the interweb for years with always the same message. After all these years of love of ST tires and hate of LT tires, with a failure count that would cause most to never tow a trailer again, there finally is a ST tire in the new GY Endurance that maybe lives up to the agenda. The damage done to his trailers, and others lives in eternity during the intervening years.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
sounds like Fasteagle tales 🙂
Actually Michelin still recommends them for trailer service.
What the problem is some folks ask the dealer or Michelin if they can be used as a replacement for a ST E with a 3400-3600 lb rating. Of course they can't.... as the XPS has only 3042 lb capacity. This backs the dealer/mfg into the liability corner. Michelin doesn't know if the trailer owner has the expertise to choose a tire with enough capacity for the size of the axles (axle loads).

And some tire dealers still think they can't mount a LT tire on a trailer that has a ST tire sticker....and vice versa. Or even mount a LT on a 1/2 ton truck that came OEM with P tires.

What you forget is that FastEagle lives 10 miles from Michelin of North America and frequently discusses their tires in person with their engineers.

The XPS Rib is strictly a summer tire designed for commercial use. Michelin does not build any trailer tires below 17.5". Therefore, any reference to an all position tire under 17.5" only refers to drive and steer positions. (Look in their current truck tire data book to confirm that).

FMVSS are written for vehicle builders. The decision for minimum fitments is theirs alone. (Look at 571.120 to confirm that).

Bottom line; You own it, it's ability to travel down the road safely is yours. Government and tire industry standards provide minimal safety standards. My comments revolve around those standards.

LOL...where have we read that before and no one has forgot your continual bash on the XPS Ribs and Michelin that got no where.
Rave on...
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
What the problem is some folks ask the dealer or Michelin if they can be used as a replacement for a ST E with a 3400-3600 lb rating. Of course they can't.... as the XPS has only 3042 lb capacity. This backs the dealer/mfg into the liability corner. Michelin doesn't know if the trailer owner has the expertise to choose a tire with enough capacity for the size of the axles (axle loads).

And some tire dealers still think they can't mount a LT tire on a trailer that has a ST tire sticker....and vice versa. Or even mount a LT on a 1/2 ton truck that came OEM with P tires.

What you forget is that FastEagle lives 10 miles from Michelin of North America and frequently discusses their tires in person with their engineers.

The XPS Rib is strictly a summer tire designed for commercial use. Michelin does not build any trailer tires below 17.5". Therefore, any reference to an all position tire under 17.5" only refers to drive and steer positions. (Look in their current truck tire data book to confirm that).

FMVSS are written for vehicle builders. The decision for minimum fitments is theirs alone. (Look at 571.120 to confirm that).

Bottom line; You own it, it's ability to travel down the road safely is yours. Government and tire industry standards provide minimal safety standards. My comments revolve around those standards.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
One thing to remember is the Salum S637 is a G rated tire at 110 psi. Ribs are 80 psi, so if going to the S637 make sure you have 110 psi wheels.

Good advice - and...the G rated Saliun may also be overkill - and as you noted, require replacement rims.

"Me-again" - "Commercial -vs- auto shop" for XPS Ribs: In the past I have purchased XPS Ribs from Costco. Pretty much what I would term (mainly) an "auto shop"..:W

Also, I have found Michelin has a great distributor network. Not in stock, had to order = next day delivery!..:C

And, of course - there *are* other alternatives! Roll on!

~

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to remember is the Salum S637 is a G rated tire at 110 psi. Ribs are 80 psi, so if going to the S637 make sure you have 110 psi wheels.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few things. Go to a Michelin commercial tire shop, not a retail car type store.

Second, also take a look a the Bridgestone Duravis R250. It is an all steel ply tire like the Rib, and normally in about $50 per tire cheaper. I ran both on our 29' trailer for years.

Another one to look at is the Sailun S637. It comes in two sizes now. ST235/80R16G and ST235/85R16G
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem is they don't approve it for use on trailers anymore...according to my dealer...who I have known a long time and the Michelin website...so that can be an issue getting it installed...like I had when I tried to buy some. I went through the whole thing with I have 6,000 lbs. axle etc.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
After personally using the Michelin XPS I firmly believe they are possibly the best tire line Michelin ever made, and that's saying a lot since IMHO their whole line is way ahead of the competition.

Only thing I fault Michelin and the XPS, they don't make it in enough sizes to fit many vehicles, especially RVs.

"In the tire industry 40 years; seen it all and done most of it"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I just replaced my Ribs with a new set of ribs after 10 yrs and about 23,000 miles. Still looked new with tread barely worn and no weather checking. And I add a couple pounds of air in the spring and am good for another year. Never a low tire.

And by the way, Michelin recommends yearly inspections at 5 yrs and replacement at 10 yrs so skip the lecture about the 5 yr rule.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a flat tire on the average of one per year until I switched to larger rims and XPS Ribs. Never had a flat since. They are big and heavy and expensive but I'd do it again.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran a set of Ribs on my last 5th wheel. Trouble free for 4 years then I traded it. Loved them.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS