cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mor Ryde Pin Box Question

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Keystone Hideout has a chucking problem and lots of folks have recommended the mor ryde pin box...

I am very interested in buying one, but I am already riding a few inches high with the hitch at the lowest point and the factory pin box all the way up.

Can anyone tell me if the Mor Ryde pin box would raise the trailer even more???

The axles are under the springs so flipping is not an option....already there.

Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
A little off topic but when we traded in our Mountaineer for our Montana, the Montana had the MorRyde pin box. As I recall the height was about the same. The MAJOR difference was the chucking or lack there of! We didn't even get a mile down the road and we both noticed the difference that quickly. We're spoiled, our Suites came with the MorRyde on it, I wouldn't have it any other way. Get the MorRyde you won't regret it.

As far as height difference I'd get the MorRyde and deal with the difference later, if in fact there is any in the first place.

Dan

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We ran a MorRyde pin box for six years, about 30,000 miles. It did not change the height of the original box. After a few tows on rough roads with the MorRyde doing its job, I could feel that the pin box was actually removing chucking and could see the 2-3" for and aft, side to side, shinny marks where the box was indeed damping the shock.

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
I had the MorRyde installed on my unit and it did not make any difference in height that I can see.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 2 MoRyde pin boxes and loved them both. Might raise 1 inch but you might be able to lower your 5th wheel hitch in truck.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Some trailers you just cant fully eliminate chucking. I have leveled mine and added Dexter EZ-flex and still get some chucking. I'm fairly convinced a lot of it is due to flex in the 5er frame that starts to oscillate when going over things like expansion joints.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
The setup still sounds very odd. Op hasn't provided trailer, truck, or hitch info but something doesn't sound right about how nose-high it is with a "new" trailer unless the truck is lifted. They should look at getting their other issues fixed before running out and getting a pin box.

That being said, I'm a big proponent of the TS hitches, but that's another story and maybe not cost effective for their rig unless they find a used BD3 on CL.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
No the MorRyde should not afftect pin height assuming you purchase the correct model. They make several models that are DIRECT replacements for factory pinbox. Contact your trailer manufacturer and find out what make/model came on your trailer.

I just measured both my Mor-Ryde and the original LCI kingpin. You're statement is essentially correct. The Mor-Ryde sits only about 1/4" lower than the original.

My previous statement of 2"-3" is incorrect.

Visually, it looks to be that much. But when you measure along the plane of the headplate, you can see that its basically the same.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
No the MorRyde should not afftect pin height assuming you purchase the correct model. They make several models that are DIRECT replacements for factory pinbox. Contact your trailer manufacturer and find out what make/model came on your trailer.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
For me, The MorRyde placed the pin in the same spot. Depends on the pinbox you are replacing.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
OP, yes, the MorRyde pin box places the kingpin about 2-3 inches lower than a standard pin box.

***SELF EDIT - the above information is incorrect. The Mor-Ryde does not make the kingpin lower than the original.

We had significant chucking when using our old TV. After doing a lot of research, we went with the MorRyde. However, before we were able to use it again with the old TV, we upgraded to our new TV and Andersen ULtimate Hitch. We also ride a little nose high and still experience some chucking from time to time, though it's very minor.

I agree that there are more factors to consider when addressing chucking, but IMO the MorRyde pinbbox is a good option. I'm impressed with the way it functions, and the chucking we do stil have is more "dampened" or rather less harsh than before.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Davezogg wrote:
Our new Keystone Hideout has a chucking problem and lots of folks have recommended the mor ryde pin box...

I am very interested in buying one, but I am already riding a few inches high with the hitch at the lowest point and the factory pin box all the way up.

Can anyone tell me if the Mor Ryde pin box would raise the trailer even more???

The axles are under the springs so flipping is not an option....already there.

Thanks in advance

Before spending $700+ on a pin box, take a good look at how you are set up.

While nose high is not a good thing, lets put that last on the list for now.

#1. What is your percentage of pin weight? Requires a trip to the scales. 1st trip through with 5er in tow, get TV front, TV rear, and trailer axles. Then drop the 5er and scale the TV again TV front and TV rear.

(TV loaded front + rear) - (TV unleaded front + Rear) = Pin

Pin + Trailer axles = 5er total weight
then pin/5er total weight = pin percentage

Your pin percentage should be at least 20%, if less could be part of the chucking issue.

#2. Shocks!
Does your TV have great shocks? Bilstein's Rancho's or similar?
Does your 5er have shocks? If not watch it the next time you hit a bump in the road, if it bounces more than once, shocks would make a difference.

#3. Nose high, just how nose high is your 5er, 2", 6' or more?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the cushioned pin boxes are designed as a replacement for your specific stock pin box. My Demco Glide Ride was and MOR/ryde, Lippert and the others should be the same. My Glide Ride put the pin in exactly the same position as the stock pin box that came off. MOR/ryde should be able to answer your question for you. Just give them a call with the manufacturer and model number of the stock pin box on your trailer. Keystone uses Lippert frames, so you should be able to find the pin box model on the pin box and get and a good replacement. Be sure and get a cushioned pin box designed for the weight of your trailer - it's important so the ride isn't to stiff or too soft.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Reese 5th Airborne

Because the shock and airbag are internal, I understand this one is the least thick air ride.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
What model Keystone, truck, and hitch?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s