cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pocket Door

Capn__Don
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the pocket door track between the upper and lower levels of my fifth wheel has come loose from the ceiling inside the wall. The Unit is a 2007 Open Road 357RL3S. It has a divided floor to ceiling cabinet in front of the pocket door area on the lower level and the shower on the upper level.

Has anybody gained access to one of these doors? If so how did you do it?

At this point I'm thinking of cutting an access hole in the upper part of the cabinet, which I'll cover with a stained to match plywood panel upon completion of the repairs. I'm not really looking forward to removing the shower and its associated plumbing.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, Don
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Our alpenlite has a pocket door and never had a problem yet but I know some have no bottom as chopper Bill said.

chevman

I am sure they did not use self drilling screws in the header.

The hardware or track and rollers are the same brand I have installed many time in homes.

chevman

It's just a shame Alpenlite went under! They really made a good product!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Our alpenlite has a pocket door and never had a problem yet but I know some have no bottom as chopper Bill said.

chevman

The hardware or track and rollers are the same brand I have installed many time in homes.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ought to be a law against pocket doors in an RV. Prior trailer had one and I had the fantastic fan on, walked by it and could feel a draft coming from between the door walls. Got a flash light and looked into the opening. Darn thing was open clear to the basement. The draft was coming through there and you could even smell the storage compartment and the basement odors! Took off door and Bought a section of that foam pipe insulation and stuffed it into the back as far as I could with a stick and put the door back on. Stopped most of it.Never will buy another one with a pocket door.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired a very heavy pocket door on a bluebird MH that has a mirror on both sides of the door.. Jack in Alaska had a MS fifthwheel and together we made a special drill holder and a lever action to remove the track and drill new holes and re screw the track and installed the door. It was a 2 man job and some thinking. Even had a length of string to work the drills switch. It can be done.

chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
My camper also has a divided floor to ceiling cabinet in front of the pocket door area on the lower level and a bathroom cabinet on the other side. The top cabinet in my floor to ceiling cabinet has a removable panel, held in place by four screws. Like a normal pocket door mine has framing on both sides of the door to make the pocket for the door . My pocket space is wider than the door is thick
If you have the space, maybe you could use a thin cutter on something like a dremmel tool and cut your access panel. Then attach a frame (made out of some thin wood) on the backside of the cabinet (area where pocket door goes) of the uncut area leaving a small amount visible to attach your cut out section to. Glue or use construction adhesive with screws to mount the frame then use screws to attach your cut out panel.
Hope this makes sense.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

Capn__Don
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the ideas, especially riggsp. Using a 2x2 could preclude the track from ever pulling loose again.

Don

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem is these idiots use self drilling screws to penetrate the aluminum track then into the support header. Over time the screws come loose because they destroyed the integrity of the wood with the driller tip.

Went thru this in the past on construction projects. Started removing the screws and replacing with longer wood screws into something solid and wala no more pocket door problems!

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired mine by cutting a 2x2 the same length (tight fit) as the height from the floor to the top of the door track...after taking the door off as donn0128 said, I drilled 2 holes in the 2x2 for 2 1/2 in #8 wood screws and pushed it into the door cavity all the way to the wall wedging the track to the ceiling...then I used a long drill driver extension to drive the screws in...not the easiest way to do it, but it worked and the door slides like it's supposed to...sorry I don't have pics.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the trim that hides the track off, close the door and take it off. The hard part is going to be trying to find a joist to screw into.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Google rv pocket door repair. Common problem and info on various ways to attack it there. I am getting ready to do the same repair.