cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Pump Leak?

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lippert Hydraulic pump for my slide outs and it seems to be leaking. The tank is attached to the pump, there's always oil in the tray that it sits in. Can I disconnect the hoses and remove pump to inspect and repair? Does it matter if the slides or in or out?
Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Furch5263
Explorer
Explorer
I have a montana with the lippert pump as well. I took my pump out cleaned it all up with brake clean as well and let dry. Only difference i did was used the permetex product made for ATF fluid. I gooped the******out of the oring a assembled. It been about 3 weeks and all is good. I also left my slides out figured this way there would be less fluid to deal with and less air intrusion. I am sure using the black will work fine. That is what i was going to use. Then i saw the stuff for ATF. I did let the pump sit for the full 24 hrs for the curing. Furch5263
Todd

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Over a week and not a single drop. I have even ran the slides out a couple times in that week to test it in working conditions. Guess we will see how long this lasts
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
rtazz17 wrote:
Goostoff wrote:
Well I took my pump off last night and took it to work with me today. I removed the tank and hosed everything down with brake kleen and left it dry. I gooped the******out of the O ring with black permatex. Next I put a bead of said goop around the inside of the tank where the o ring seats. I also gooped the******out of the mating surface for the tank and pump.

Going to put it back in after supper tonight and fill it up. If this dont seal my leak I am going to trade the trailer off on a new one. I dont think it will be another Cedar Creek either.
I take it you are trading it becuz of numerous other issues?A simple slide pump is a simple fix considering.

And you would be taking that correctly. ๐Ÿ™‚ I would have thought that going from a beat up old Hornet TT to a big fancy Cedar Creek 5th wheel would have been a huge step up. It sure is spacious and cool inside, but the old Hornet was soooooo much better built. The only problem we ever had with the Hornet was a poop pyramid once and a roof leak on a 20 year old roof that was backed into a tree at one point before we bought it. This trailer has me constantly fixing something. One day its wiring, the next day its trim falling off. Its mostly 3rd party stuff failing but in your mind it still is part of the whole trailer.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Well I took my pump off last night and took it to work with me today. I removed the tank and hosed everything down with brake kleen and left it dry. I gooped the******out of the O ring with black permatex. Next I put a bead of said goop around the inside of the tank where the o ring seats. I also gooped the******out of the mating surface for the tank and pump.

Going to put it back in after supper tonight and fill it up. If this dont seal my leak I am going to trade the trailer off on a new one. I dont think it will be another Cedar Creek either.
I take it you are trading it becuz of numerous other issues?A simple slide pump is a simple fix considering.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned everything up yesterday, so I'm watching to see where its leaking from. It looks like for sure it's seeping from one of the top fittings on the motor to hose connection. I've never had to put fluid in it yet, it just seems to seep out and make a mess under the pump and tank.

pioneerman
Explorer
Explorer
i had the same problem about 4 years ago. the lippert company told me to replace the o-ring and use the red silicon to seal it. i did and it lasted about 3 years and started leaking again. i replace the o-ring 3 times and could not keep it from leaking so i bought a new motor. seems to have fixed the problem. its not hard to remove the motor but oh what a mess every time i did it. not getting the motor out just empting the fluid.
2008 chev 3/4 sb cc 4x4 duramax allison trans 3:73
2004 wildcat 27rl 5th wheel
rbw w/slider hitch

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know what the warranty is on these units or how to find the recall information?

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a new O-ring on my tank a couple weeks ago and it now leaks worse than it did before. Getting sick of leaving a puddle of oil at every campsite we stay at.
I have now placed a cokie sheet under the tank to catch the oil and let it drip into a coffee can.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
About 9 years ago, Lippert had a recall on one of their leaking tank pumps. They gave me a new one while mine was still under warranty. They told me how to install it. I still have the instructions which worked perfectly.
1. Bring Slides in before you start to replace pump
2. Have 3 qts transfluid on hand โ€“ unit takes 2 qts.
3. Mark all fluid lines
4. Let line pressure off slowly to avoid a mess. Be ready to capture fluid
5. replace pump and do the electrical stuff last
6. Use dry silicone to lube slide gears.
7. Reversing pump 2 seconds each time allows pressure to be off & easy to close valves.

GaryGus
Explorer
Explorer
Been there. Done that. You can remove pump quite easily. Label hoses and connections. Disconnect battery to remove wires. Label. Tank usually leaks where it joins pump body. I tried and tried and tried to repair my leak. Never did. Finally found a replacement tank on line for about $170. Then found a brand new pump and tank assembly for $340. Did that, installed, and no problems since. I worked with slides out to displace as much fluid as possible.
Gary
2019 Ram Crew Cab 6.4, 4.10s, 4WD
2005 Hitchhiker II 29.5 LKTG
"Greetings from the sunny San Joaquin Valley"