cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire shop wont install LTs on my trailer

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
My local tire shop which I have bought several sets of car/truck tires through and does install tires on trailers told me that due to liability reason associated with the lower weight rating on an LT tire they can't install them. Said I would have to take the tires/rims off the trailer and take them in separately was the only way they could do it.

Obvious reply is going to be to go find another tire shop which is what I will likely have to do. Just trying to get an idea if this is a common theme with tire shops and putting LT tires on trailers?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
52 REPLIES 52

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
My local tire shop which I have bought several sets of car/truck tires through and does install tires on trailers told me that due to liability reason associated with the lower weight rating on an LT tire they can't install them. Said I would have to take the tires/rims off the trailer and take them in separately was the only way they could do it.

Obvious reply is going to be to go find another tire shop which is what I will likely have to do. Just trying to get an idea if this is a common theme with tire shops and putting LT tires on trailers?

Our local tire dealers will not put LTs on RVs either..........

Look for a local mom/pop tire store. Seems the big box stores have to many corporate lawyers telling them what to do.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

Our local tire dealers will not put LTs on RVs either..........

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
My 5er came with ST225/15's and I had Discount/Americas tire put LT235R16E. I know they check tread depth and are picky about that, but don't think tread depth has much to do with running tires on a trailer. Cosco however will not put LT's on a trailer and even hear of them not putting anything on a trailer as you cant pull it into to one of their stalls and heard the same about Wal-Mart.

Yet Costco sells ST tires. How're you supposed to get them on your trailer? :h

Lyle

If it wont fit in their bay then only option would be to take the wheels/tires off your rig and wheel them in. PITA...

FWIW I originally started this thread and ended up finding a shop in town that would put on LTs. Bridgestone Duravis R250s going on the trailer today.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RockyMt wrote:
A lot of states have tread depth laws- Sure hope I don't run next to anyone running with cords showing, pulled or otherwise.

And how many trailer tires actually wear out? Almost none; they almost always age out. If they =do= wear out, more'n likely there's an axle alignment or balance issue going on.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hotpepperkid wrote:
My 5er came with ST225/15's and I had Discount/Americas tire put LT235R16E. I know they check tread depth and are picky about that, but don't think tread depth has much to do with running tires on a trailer. Cosco however will not put LT's on a trailer and even hear of them not putting anything on a trailer as you cant pull it into to one of their stalls and heard the same about Wal-Mart.

Yet Costco sells ST tires. How're you supposed to get them on your trailer? :h

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of states have tread depth laws- Sure hope I don't run next to anyone running with cords showing, pulled or otherwise.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jamway wrote:

Your are not old at all if your tires had steel cords. I run them until you could the ply's of rayon. When they got to four we got a new used tire.

And put the old ones on a farm trailer or other implement. 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder since my tire sticker says LT tires if they would refuse to put ST's on my trailer?
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Me Again wrote:
laknox wrote:

How many people remember fire patches, let alone =done= one? I think my dad still has his patch clamp. 🙂 How about "boots"? Can't tell you how many pickup tires we booted let alone tractor tires. I've patched my truck tires with patch on patch on patch and still drove them until the steel cord was showing. 🙂 Used to take tractor tires down to a shop in S PHX where they'd hot-patch =massive= cuts in the sidewalls; literally re-vulcanizing a portion of the tire.

Lyle

Careful Lyle, please will find out we are old!!! Chris

So long as DW is still older'n me, I don't worry about it! 🙂

Lyle

Your are not old at all if your tires had steel cords. I run them until you could the ply's of rayon. When they got to four we got a new used tire.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
laknox wrote:

How many people remember fire patches, let alone =done= one? I think my dad still has his patch clamp. 🙂 How about "boots"? Can't tell you how many pickup tires we booted let alone tractor tires. I've patched my truck tires with patch on patch on patch and still drove them until the steel cord was showing. 🙂 Used to take tractor tires down to a shop in S PHX where they'd hot-patch =massive= cuts in the sidewalls; literally re-vulcanizing a portion of the tire.

Lyle

So long as DW is still older'n me, I don't worry about it! 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Lyle

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
parkmanaa wrote:
Read STRABO's comment with interest concerning America's Tire Stores,
and find they are very rigid in their application of guidelines from either their corporate and/or tire manufacturers regarding rotating, repairing, or any other tire problem.

Went to one of their local stores early last year requesting tire rotation. Like with STRABO, they checked the vehicle with a fine-tooth comb and decided tread depth was too low to rotate, and refused. Wanted to give me a quote on a new set of tires. I went to another independent tire store and tires were rotated without question. I am still driving on those tires here one year+ later.

Also, they are very picky regarding assuring penetrations are almost exactly in center of the tread or they refuse to repair even a nail hole.
IMHO this is part of the massive tire marketing push we have seen in the last several years, and goes along with the early (less than 5 years, in some cases) replacement of tires. I have expressed my disagreement with this philosophy for years. I believe thousands and thousands of tires are being unnecessarily replaced due this marketing push. In my experiences I found very few failures due to age. Regarding age, go with the tire manufacturer's suggestion; not with a tire dealer's.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it"

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Part of my point! The tire carcass is the same as on the drivers and trailer, those ribs are likely caps (Retreads), that may have been caped with a traction tread design before! My main point is that the carcass of the tire is the same be it steer, driver, or trailer.

Thanks for the Great Photos.

NO these were not caps, the were original rib style tires that are common on many OTR trailers.

Appears to this one. Chris

http://www.dunloptrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160523

Well All Position tire with steer capabilities.

My point all along has been the casing and not the tread design.

The casing (carcass), is the same in all positions! Exactly why LT truck tires will work on a trailer as well, if not better than ST tires.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"