cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unwanted critters

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. Need some advice. We keep our camper on a seasonal site. Until this year we haven't had any critter issues. Unfortunately a our camper went unused for about 3 weeks. Now that we are back to using it I found we have unwanted critters. I'm not sure if it's mice, chipmunks or squirrels. I have spent the last two nights listening to them running in the ceiling. Yesterday I place traps in various areas and sealed any place I thought they might be coming in. I plan to check the roof today. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I still haven't figured out how to get traps in the ceiling since that's where I know they are.
18 REPLIES 18

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Put the fine steel wool in the holes, then tape over or spackle over. I use Diatomaceous Earth - sprinkled liberally inside the trailer. It's a natural way of killing bugs and mice. It won't harm you unless inhaled.

B.O.Plenty: Deer whistles only help the guy driving behind you.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
mabynack wrote:
I use ultrasonic pest repellants at each end of the RV and sealed around the pipes with steel wool. It seems to be working so far.
The steel wool keeps them out. The Ultrasonic do-dads do nothing just like deer whistles..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use ultrasonic pest repellants at each end of the RV and sealed around the pipes with steel wool. It seems to be working so far.

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. So I have about 2 dozen traps, and have purchased the peppermint oil. I'm fortunate that Wegmans is only 20 minutes from home. As far as the Fresh cab that is tonight's purchase. For those of you who have used it where do you recommend placing the pouches? I was thinking of placing them up in the vents and if I can get them to fit i was going to place them behind the light fixtures in the ceiling. May seem like I'm over doing it but I am petrified of rodents!

At mredneck - I suggested a snake to the hubby, he was not a fan! LOL I however have no fear of snakes as long as they are not poisonous. He tries to kill them and I yell at him for it. They eat what I fear!

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Read on another forum about this guy who had the exact same problem. He took a speaker down from the ceiling but didn't see anything. While sitting there and thinking what to do next a mouse stuck his head out of the speaker hole. He ended up using a trap and got them.
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

mredneck
Explorer
Explorer
get some snakes. they will get rid of any mice or other rodents you may have.
2001 C2500 Sub 6.0 w/4:10 and Hypertec programmer- sold
2007 Sprinter 311BHS- totaled
4000W Champion Generator - now a back up
2005 K2500 suburban 6.0 w/4:10 and custom tune
2015 Coachman Leprechaun 320BH V10

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dryer sheets are nice because they can use them to make a soft nest. Plug the holes, use traps, poison or a cat. That's what works for sure...

B.O,
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
patch up any hole and use the fresh cab and peppermint ,oil last about three months to our smeller ,mice can still smell it. the goal is to keep them out, I sprinkler the oil every where. inside and out.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to go the easy redneck way:

1. A five gallon paint bucket.
2. Put bait inside on bottom of bucket.
3. Place bucket near a piece of furniture or something that they can climb onto to get into bucket.
4. They can never get out.

Albiet now you have to deal with live mice, but I have caught a plethora of mice in record time with this method out in my barn. I just slap the lid on and they enter the mice relocation program down the road into a field.

To the OP they will come out of the duct work for food placed anywhere. I'd just put a ladder near one of the vents with either a mouse trap or the bucket trap on top of the ladder for a day or so. They'll come out for it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I FINALLY found a mouse trap that works AND is so easy to set and release unlike all the others AND catches the small ones. No more tripped traps and no mouse.

Real sad that something like this would make me so happy. :R

There is that little kinda square shaped box thing above the logo that has a lid that you open and then you put peanut butter in there and the lid closes on the box when you bring the spring bar back.

Which you can do with one finger it's that easy no more slamming shut while you are trying to place it either

On the front of that bait box is a very small oval opening. The minute ANY SIZE mouse sticks his nose near that opening WHAM he's dead. It even catches the smallest baby mice too. I found this mouse trap amazing. And you don't have to keep baiting the trap either cause they never get to it to eat it!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
its amazing how small a hole a nouse can get in, size of a dime. peppermint oil works for me a a product called fresh cab,

X2 on the fresh cab. Its available at Tractor Supply and many hardware stores. On their website you can find a retailer near you. It smell likes Pine trees and works great.

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
Do your own pest control

Some rat and mouse poisons dehydrate them until they die so if you keep the unit dry of water they will leave looking for water and die somewhere else. Usually it will say in the directions to keep water sources out of the area or something like that. You can buy poison boxes to put the stuff in so dogs and kids can not get to it. They go in and eat the poison then leave the box and the mess inside. You can then clean out the box every now and then and replace the poison. I keep one under my unit near both wheels where they typically enter so the food source is right there.
jstar

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to try the peppermint oil but am curious, how long before the oil will dry out?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using poison etc means they will crawl back into their main area and die. You may have to tear a wall out to get to them...

I found this on google search awhile back and had to try it out. I caught one mouse haha... I threw him outside and he probably beat me back into the trailer haha...

ALot of folks have got the 100% PURE PEPPERMENT OIL from AMAZON and soak up a bunch of cotton balls and keep in a zip-up bag to keep them fresh. Then you can place these cotton balls where you find where they are getting in at... The only big store around here that carries 100% peppermint oil is WEGMANS...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS