cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'03 Winnebago Adventurer questions

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a few weeks ago, owner wasn't much help except to tell me how clean it is. Apparently he and I have different opinions regarding "clean". It's in really good shape, no abuse, everything works, just needs a very good cleaning top to bottom inside and out.

So I have a couple of questions regarding this rig. First, where is the controller for the HWH levelers? Not the control panel, the unit that determines when the unit is level. Mine needs to be adjusted as the rear and left side are high when the unit says it's level.

Second, not really important but kind of bugs me. Where is the switch for the small light above/beside the drivers seat. The one for the passenger seat has a switch on the panel next to the seat. No switches near the drivers seat.
15 REPLIES 15

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
Clay L, is the anti sway bar a square tube? I don't see a conventional round shaft but a square tube near the end of both the front and rear of the front leaf springs that goes from one side to the other. I have to assume that is the anti sway bar/stabilizer.

Yes it is the square tube.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L, is the anti sway bar a square tube? I don't see a conventional round shaft but a square tube near the end of both the front and rear of the front leaf springs that goes from one side to the other. I have to assume that is the anti sway bar/stabilizer.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Well now I have to see what size swaybar I have while searching for the HWH level sensor, thanks for the tip.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
As a side issue:
Please note that the 2003 chassis (W20 and W22) had a 2 inch front stabilizer shaft. Often called an anti sway bar. In September of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar.
If your chassis has the 2 inch bar I would strongly recommend that you have the 2.5 inch bar installed. I did and it made a huge improvement in roll or side to side sway.

This is from an email I got from WH in 2005:

"The part number for the Front Stabilizer Bar with Brackets is: W0005643.

This bar was found to have an advantage over the original 2" bar, and was
put into regular production on 9/2/2003.

The installation is very straightforward. Remove 4 retaining nuts while
supporting bar, remove bar, hold new bar in position, reinstall 4 retaining
nuts, and torque to specification. This procedure is NOT meant to replace
the service manual, but is a generalized procedure.

The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following
benefits:
1. Reduced Body Roll when cornering.
2. Reduced "rocking" when passed by or passing large vehicles.
3. Reduced "rocking" when traversing bumps on an angle."

The installation procedure is below- I did not raise the coach, just crawled under it:

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (W20/W22)

Removal Procedure
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.
3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.
4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.
5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure
1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.
2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.
4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N·m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the replies. If it ever stops raining here I'll start looking for it. So far I'm really liking this rig. Workhorse W-22 chassis, Allison trans, 8.1 liter, what's not to like. For a 12 year old rig it has just about every option you'd want and we really like the layout.

chucknmare
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI Not sure which HWH system you have but on my 2004 Winni the adjustment for lights telling me what side or front to back is not level is located on the control box where all the hydraulics etc. for the jacks. Small unit sticking out of the front can see its circuit board thru the plastic cover. Check on HWH website to get any info on them you might need.

Chuck
2004 Winnabago Adventure 38G
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '02, look underneath on the chassis for a small round flat thing mounted on the deck (laying on your back, look up). It's about 3-4" diam if it's like my HWH.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Should have said that's where the control board is on my 31Y. I'd start by looking there on a 35U...
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into it further. The model is 35U on the heavier Workhorse chassis.

I have been to the Winnebago site, very helpful but couldn't find the actual location of the level sensor or the surround system. Schematics are great but don't identify physical locations.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The LEVEL SENSOR is often on the ceiling of the basement, but contact Winnebago with your VIN to verify. And usually THREE screws. Use a carpenter's level to calibrate it.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 03 33v was located on the ceiling in the outside compartment just aft of the entry door.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
The switch for your driver's map light is your dash panel dimmer switch. Think of it as like the dome light in your car.

The control box for the leveler system is mounted on the frame. Position varies but its usually up towards the front of the coach, often near the front axle.

FYI, in case you don't have them, you can get a ton of information here at the Winnebago site. Download docs include the original sales brochure, operator manuals, electrical and plumbing manuals, paint codes etc.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Controller is up front, behind the passenger side headlight (more or less). Mine has been out of adjustment for 11 years. Replaced a few pieces under warranty, never worked right. I level by feel.

Light turns on from the dimmer wheel on the headlight switch. If that doesn't work, might need a new switch. Mine is on it's third switch (now properly wired so it doesn't burn out the switch).

Have you found the Winnebago resources area of the website? Very helpful.

(Another Michigan Winnebago owner...)

(Oh yeah, what model and chassis?)
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the offer hanko. No levers on the floor. According to the manual for the HWH system there is a separate module with 4 screws that can be adjusted for leveling. Problem is the manual doesn't say where it's located.