cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Coachmen Cross Country Air tanks

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a diesel pusher 354 with the air brakes.
the manuals list in several places about three air tanks. These need to be "bled of condensation" all of which I'm good with.
The manual says in one spot this is automatic. in another spot it says there are cables that you pull to operate these bleed valves. NOWHERE does it show me WHERE to find the tank valves.
Anybody point me in the right direction on this?
16 REPLIES 16

teamrope
Explorer
Explorer
my996duc1 wrote:
On my 2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS the three cables are accessed through the front generator opening. They are run right up along side/top corner the generator. It is the left side as standing there looking at the generator or passenger side of the rv.

Mine are not in the wheel well and are super easy to access while standing in front of the generator opening.

If you can't find them and want, I can take pics of mine for reference.

_

That is where they are on my 2005 Coachman Cross Country 376 DS as well.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner supplies the cables, but leaves them coiled and attached to the valve on the air tanks. The coach builder locates the cable end for use by the consumer (sometimes). Mine were still coiled and attached to the valve on the air tanks.
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
davemilster wrote:
Many thanks to ALL. my996duc1 was "the winner"...
On my coach, I've located the three cables which are in a bridle ring on the frame rail just to the passenger side of the generator (under the "hood" if that's what this thing is really called?)

Now, the important question-- did anything come out (other than air) when you pulled the tank drains-- THAT is the important issue.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to ALL. my996duc1 was "the winner"...
On my coach, I've located the three cables which are in a bridle ring on the frame rail just to the passenger side of the generator (under the "hood" if that's what this thing is really called?)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchstar02 wrote:
Try this web site:
http://freightlinerchassis.com/RV-Chassis/rv-chassis-article/menu-id-150.html

If it's a freightliner chassis the drain lanyards will be in the front driver side wheel well.

Dutchstar02,
You say that if it's a Freightliner chassis, the lanyards will be on the drivers side fenderwell. Do you have any nomenclature that states that? Because mine and many of the Freightliner chassis'd motor homes of friends that I know, all have there lanyards in the PASSENGER side front wheel well. Just wondering.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

my996duc1
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS the three cables are accessed through the front generator opening. They are run right up along side/top corner the generator. It is the left side as standing there looking at the generator or passenger side of the rv.

Mine are not in the wheel well and are super easy to access while standing in front of the generator opening.

If you can't find them and want, I can take pics of mine for reference.

_
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchstar02 wrote:
Try this web site:

If it's a freightliner chassis the drain lanyards will be in the front driver side wheel well.

I have a Freightliner chassis & the cables are in the front passenger side wheel well.
Before I found them, I finally got on a floor dolly & crawled under the RV to check & follow the cables out. Best way to locate where they go. :C
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

Dutchstar02
Explorer
Explorer
Try this web site:

Bill
02 Dutch Star DP 3852
Toad: 03 Explorer

Dutchstar02
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchstar02 wrote:
Try looking in the front driver side wheel well. Mine has three wires connected to a hook. Pull on each one to release the valve and purge the tanks.

You say that the wheels wells have all smooth surfaces - the tank cables are going to be up behind the wheels. You have to reach in a far way to get to them let alone see them. The back side of the wheel well should open up under the chassis. This is where the cables feed to the air tanks.
Bill
02 Dutch Star DP 3852

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
OK... I started with the Right front wheel well. Looked all around, nothing but smooth panels. Went to the LF... same... opened the LF lower hatch. It appears there are some white air tubing lines passing through this compartment but I can't get to either end.... SO off to the LR... same again... smooth panels and no other items in the wheel well.
Then to the RR... there's a wire harness and connector that sure looks vulnerable being on the forward side of the wheel well. A blow out or some road debris would surely wipe out this harness... but again no pull handle cables.
Have run out of daylight to search further today. Would they be under the forward hatch on the left or right side adjacent to the genset?

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I'm on a freightliner chassis. You all have been a big help. I'll look around and see what I can find. Will advise.

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
The 354MBS were built on a Freightliner chassis. The cables are in or around the front right wheel well if memory serves. Give them a good tug and you should hear air escape and if there is moisture you will probably see a spot on the ground.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
davemilster,
Congrats on the purchase of your new rig. About 100% of the diesel pusher motor homes out there come with what's known as an "Air dryer". Compressing air, in most cases, produces moisture. The air dryer's job is, take that air, that's been compressed and pumped by the engine driven air compressor, and "Dry" that air BEFORE, it enters the working part of the system. 99.9999% of the time, it does a very fine job of doing just what it's supposed to do.

But, in rare cases, there will be more condensation that forms in the air lines etc. AFTER the air dryer. And, that condensation will normally collect in the bottom of the air storage tanks. Should that happen, those tanks can be "bled" to release the condensation/moisture because the bleed valve is at the very bottom.

Now, you don't have to bleed each tank, all the way down. If it has any moisture at all, it will exit the tank first, then, only air will be bleeding and there's no need to bleed air.

Now, as to the location of the cables that attach to the bleed valves. On many Freightliner chassised coaches, the cables ends are located in the right front fenderwell. They are not always obvious in being out in the open. Sometimes they're obscured by different things. You might have to look around a bit.

Now, again, this primarily refers to Freightliner chassis vehicles. On others, I can't help there. In any event, if you don't see them in any of the fenderwells, the next method of finding them is to get under the coach, find the air tanks which, most of the time, are located close to each other and, normally in the front section of the coach someplace. Then, you can see the bleed valves on the bottom and, at that point, you should also see the attached cable(s).

Then, just follow the cables to where they lead to. Done! Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Dutchstar02
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking in the front driver side wheel well. Mine has three wires connected to a hook. Pull on each one to release the valve and purge the tanks.
Bill
02 Dutch Star DP 3852