cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 ft- one roof air sufficient?

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of buying a 30 ft. Class A. It has one roof air conditioner. I think is a 1355 BTU. I haven't seen it. The owner lives in Arizona. He says it does ok when in the high 90s. He doesn't the HK ts wired for 2 air conditioners. Is it a mistake getting this? It's a pretty good deal and the exact floor plan we like.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad
61 REPLIES 61

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
I have a 30' with one air condition. It is OK, but I had all windows tinted with reflective film, and I make sure that the roof is nice and clean and WHITE. I stuff these unsulator cushions into all hatches (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-Sunshield-Insulator-Reflective/dp/B0024E6QX0), and made a cover for the light dome over the shower with the reflective bubble stuff.
I plan to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

We have two ac's and surprisingly it cools well, for having this much space, but how about if one should quit and should we have to be in that much of a hurry for getting it replaced at any cost. Just saying an extra never hurts and especially if you have no spare at all to share the load.
That might be true if you are always in hot (temperature) parts of the country. I hardly use my air conditioner (maybe a few days per year), and therefore it is enough if I do the measures that I do to keep it cool enough inside my rig.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
I have a 30' with one air condition. It is OK, but I had all windows tinted with reflective film, and I make sure that the roof is nice and clean and WHITE. I stuff these unsulator cushions into all hatches (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-Sunshield-Insulator-Reflective/dp/B0024E6QX0), and made a cover for the light dome over the shower with the reflective bubble stuff.

We have two ac's and surprisingly it cools well, for having this much space, but how about if one should quit and should we have to be in that much of a hurry for getting it replaced at any cost. Just saying an extra never hurts and especially if you have no spare at all to share the load.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for one with a larger generator and two roof air's. I had a 28' class A georgie boy with one 13,500 BTU unit. It was old and not nearly enough. I replaced it, didn't change a thing. One air is just not enough. I live in phoenix area, and once it hits about 95*, forget it. You need two air's.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
We had a 32' Class A with just one 15K a/c unit and it was fine for us most trips. We rarely travelled to the hotter climes, mainly went to coastal WA, OR and BC. One trip, July 4th weekend to eastern WA, we came home after one night!

This makes me chuckle. When we came through BC and coastal Washington and Oregon in July we didn't even need any A/C so I could see where one would be good. By the time we made it to Utah we needed both A/Cs.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 32' Class A with just one 15K a/c unit and it was fine for us most trips. We rarely travelled to the hotter climes, mainly went to coastal WA, OR and BC. One trip, July 4th weekend to eastern WA, we came home after one night!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 31' coach a long time ago that had one air conditioner and it didn't do well in temps from 90* to 127* that I've been in with that coach.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
We have a 36 footer class A. One 13.5 AC. We're in Maryland right now. Hot and humid. One AC works fine for us. Just set the thermostat real low and set your expectations real low. Ok, just joking... it actually works fine for us. While driving when the temp hits 90 we then turn on the generator and AC. We also close the curtain by the bunk beds so that we only need to cool the front half of the rv when driving. Our dash AC also works very well. Finally, we use an o2 cool fan hung from the ceiling to create a nice breeze. I wired a 12v outlet into the ceiling to plug it into. That also helps a lot.

Correction. We have a 15k unit.
Updated opinion... after several weeks of hot hot weather my new opinion is that one AC barely works during the day but is fine at night.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
maddawg46 wrote:
I bought a Newmar Bay Star 3124. It is new and beautiful. Drove it back from LOs Angeles on Thursday. Been hot here, so in glad I have two airs. It seems to be insulated much better than the other brands we looked at. $30 K more than we were planning, but the quality is far better than the other brands. Loading stuff up and getting use to all the stuff my trailer never dreamed of.
Maybe in a few weeks we will go to Idaho for a visit.

Congrats on your purchase and again, the second air is also important for having as a backup, until the other is repaired or replaced and when you really will appreciate having it, whether it can keep up or not.
Right now in FL, it's sweltering, but hope to be on the road north, before too long, with our new rig, as well. New to us, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Newmar Bay Star 3124. It is new and beautiful. Drove it back from LOs Angeles on Thursday. Been hot here, so in glad I have two airs. It seems to be insulated much better than the other brands we looked at. $30 K more than we were planning, but the quality is far better than the other brands. Loading stuff up and getting use to all the stuff my trailer never dreamed of.
Maybe in a few weeks we will go to Idaho for a visit.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad

strawec
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend two heat pumps
Evan&Carolyn
2007 Dodge 3500 SLT,6.7,68rfe,Quad Cab,Dually,Lb
2007 Escalade 36 KSB
Podigy
B&W Combo
Porta bote , Rand Mcnally GPS

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep, you must be a 'cool' natured person. I would die with one A/C. In the winter, I use very little heat.

At 45 ft., we have four 13,500 BTU units and I have used all four several times. Normally, 2 units will work fine. When it's a little warmer the third unit comes on. When it's real hot like it has been today in Florida, all four units are humming! At 95 degrees, we are holding at 72 degrees inside with all four units running.

I just don't see one 13,500 BTU unit working in the south.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 36 footer class A. One 13.5 AC. We're in Maryland right now. Hot and humid. One AC works fine for us. Just set the thermostat real low and set your expectations real low. Ok, just joking... it actually works fine for us. While driving when the temp hits 90 we then turn on the generator and AC. We also close the curtain by the bunk beds so that we only need to cool the front half of the rv when driving. Our dash AC also works very well. Finally, we use an o2 cool fan hung from the ceiling to create a nice breeze. I wired a 12v outlet into the ceiling to plug it into. That also helps a lot.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
barmcd wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Just a Thought. After 37 years in the RV service/sales business, I have NEVER (I mean Never) had a customer complain that they NEVER needed or used that 2nd or 3rd AC unit and it was a complete waste of money spent:E But I HAVE had hundreds over the years complain about the inadequate results of just having 1 AC.:B Doug

I'd like to add a third to our coach. We've never had bad issues, but there already have been times when both were working hard to keep it cool inside.

Yep and highly unlikely that one would lose all three at the same time, which would make for tough living in Death Valley or the FL tropics.
Sure hot today and both are going strong out here in the driveway, which makes it nice for working inside.