cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Question & I'm away!

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!! Well I jinxed myself last night I said wow our 2 Carrier Air V have been running great for 15 years! Today the front unit is doing the following. Fan works,compressor turns on and have cold air. The unit short cycles 30sec, 1min 30sec. 2min 20sec was the longest. I have disconnected power to unit and re applied power for a reset nothing. These units are very well built. Any thoughts? First guy I called said he does not touch them and replaces them with a dometic 15k unit and then has to put a thermostat in because the carrier is remote control. He wants 2k plus tax. I did call another company that does Carrier work they want to diagnose it a bit over the phone before jumping to replace. Kind of stuck here.. have rear ac for dogs for now. Thanks!!
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
6 REPLIES 6

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to thank everyone for the answers. Wanted to up date you on what happened. So they tested the capacitor and it was fine. What they did find was the compressor was not working has hard as it should.Also they believed maybe a small leak. I look at the capacitor myself and it was running fine. The service company we used was Dometic rv service out of Orlando FL. They were amazing!! He installed a new 15k btu unit and they have a Carrier to Dometic adapter. So we still get to use our Carrier remote and the Carrier was 13500btu so we have a bigger unit now. Cold in the back with just the front unit now!! I have to be honest I don't have anything bad to say about Carrier lasted 15 years!! And I still have one in the bed room. The service tech said they were built like rocks and he said he never saw a 15 year old unit that looked so good. When all said and done we paid 1478.00 without tax. So we are happy and cold!! Thanks again for all the advice!
2000 Coachman Pop-up

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Advent is a newer low cost chinese addition to the RV market. Very few OEM's use Advent. They do not have a track record yet. BUT, I would go the Advent route due to the age of your RV and the fact that Advent makes an adapter kit for your Carrier. Doug

PS, Carrier exited the RV market after a few years because the units were junk

Can I replace a Carrier upper unit with an Advent upper unit?

If all other components of the Carrier system are functional, the ACCARKIT Carrier interface kit allows the Advent upper AC unit to connect to the existing Carrier relay box.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a simple capacitor replacement Could be somthing else but most likely a run capacitor since the compressor starts for a minute or 2 and then goes out on overload from a high amp draw. Pay a service tech to check it.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
sure sound like the start ,run capacitor went bad. lasting that long most of the time unheard of
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you like the advent air?
2000 Coachman Pop-up

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well Carrier has a frost sensor.. And there are other possible issues.

$2,000 is at least DOUBLE the cost.

Advent Air, Which I do not recommend, has an "Adapt a kit their top unit with the kit is a direct replacement for the Carrier top unit.

Coleman .. The adapt a kit is a bit more complex and a 3rd party if you can find it but they still use the carrier control system... That said.

The problem MIGHT be the control system, not the top unit.

Carrier no longer is in the RV A/C business.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times