Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice Needed: Class A for a large family

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My family and I are starting to plan to live on the road for an extended time (1-2 years) around the county. My issue is that I have 5 kids and my wife. We are pretty certain that a class A is the right way for us to go.
I am looking for some advice on makes/models of coaches that might be good for a large family moving around, home schooling and trying to give our kids a great experience.
I know that there are alot of options but I thought I would ask some of the experts here for some advice.

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.
32 REPLIES 32

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
kjmedwards wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler as it has the back room with the big bed and a loft with a queen. It is rated to pull 5k and I could pull my van (3,600 curb weight) plus a trailer with it.
Do you see any issue with this gas rig being able to do this? On paper it looks like it should. It is close to my budget and really has many of the features we are looking for.
Does anyone have thoughts on this Motorhome?
Kevin

This is probably not really an option: First, as mentioned above, many state do not allow towing more than one unit (and some of the ones that do require the first one to be a fifth-wheel or require a commercial license to do it). Second, double check the curb weight of your van, that seems quite low in my opinion (we have a 2006 Toyota Sienna and it's around 4400 lbs curb weight). Third, I don't think that many vans can be flat towed so you might need to add in the weight of a dolly as well. Fourth, even if you are okay flat towing your van and it's the weight you think it is and you can double-tow, that still does not leave you with very much capacity to tow anything else. Remember that your towing capacity is often UP TO 5k lbs with a gasser but with many chassis, if you are fully loaded (like you will most likely be with 7 people on board), you are probably chewing into your towing capacity.

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, it's going to hard to find a class A that has actual beds for more than 4. If you don't mind having people sleep on the dinette / sofas, you can do up to 8 but I wouldn't want to do that every day for 1 or 2 years. Towables (5W or bumper pulls) have much better options of families so although I do like class As, I think that's probably your best bet. Class C's are also usually better for families (you can get a class C with a queen, 2 bunks and queen over the cab and then set someone else on the dinette or the sofa - again I don't know that I'd want to live like that for 1 or 2 years. With 7 people, only having 1 bathroom might be an issue as well.

The 'entertainer' style converted bus with multiple bunks is likely your best bet or a conversion of a Toy Hauler (although I'd want to check how well the heating / cooling works in the back). You might be able to convert a Fleetwood 42A (one advantage here is that it does have 1 1/2 baths) or something similar with a large rear walk-in closet to have at least 4 bunks in the back. Best option, if you can find it, might be the Newmar AllStar from a few years ago with the 'Imagination Room' in the back (basically a pretty large, unfinished room at the back that you can set up however you want).

Your other problem will be safe and comfortable seating positions while you're driving. I'm not sure if there are many class As that will safely and comfortably sit 7 (including kids, who depending on the age, might still be in child / booster seats). I'm not sure if class Cs will sit 7 either.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
kjmedwards wrote:
and I could pull my van (3,600 curb weight) plus a trailer with it.
But your are not going to get it out of Florida on any highway unless you put either the trailer or van inside the toyhauler. And I doubt the van will fit. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/07/triple_towing.php

And I think Tatest is on the right track for you.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler as it has the back room with the big bed and a loft with a queen. It is rated to pull 5k and I could pull my van (3,600 curb weight) plus a trailer with it.
Do you see any issue with this gas rig being able to do this? On paper it looks like it should. It is close to my budget and really has many of the features we are looking for.
Does anyone have thoughts on this Motorhome?
Kevin

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's going to be hard to find any Class A with enough seat belts. Maybe something like this with a booth. Replace the wardrobe with two more bunks.
I realize a new unit like this is above your budget, so maybe something like it used. They are called Super C.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding budget...we have a little flexibility but the top end is likely $125K.
Thanks so much for any input you have.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You still haven't given any idea of budget or if you are thinking new or used. If you haven't looked yet you will find that a gas MH will have a limit of towing of 3500-5000#. To tow something like your Expedition you will need a DP with heaavier towing ability.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, both of your current vehicles are not towable four wheels down. The Expedition would be by adding a driveshaft disconnect and the van would have to go on a dolly with brakes. Before buying make sure the hitch is rated to pull something this heavy.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
People who live and work on the road in small groups use a Crew Bus. It is also called a "band bus" when it is carrying the band rather than the stage crew.

Not strictly a RV, more of a commercial vehicle, a crew bus provides bunks for eight to twelve people, with moderate privacy, and a common living area with modest cooking and eating facilities.

I work stage crew, volunteer, at our community theater. The professional stage crews (roadies) come in on these all the time.

I think an old crew bus would make a great full-timing vehicle for a large family. A lot more suited to the purpose than a Class A RV that has been configured either for full-timing by a couple, or short term "camping" for a SMALL family.

The RV industry does not very well address the needs of large families. That is from the experience of a large family (8 children, parents, grandparents) that RVed up to ten of us at a time.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't already know, familiarize yourself with the following:
GVWR
GVCC
and most importantly..CCC

Good luck, sounds like a wonderful fun time ahead. The kids will experience things few other kids will ever have the opportunity to. We take our grandson with us every year for his summer vacation. He has seen every State west of the Mississippi, and he just turned 13.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
thanks so much for all the immediate response, I am blown away. Here is more background. My kids are 4 boys, 12, 10, 6 and 6 and a 9 year old girl. We currently camp in a 34ft. TT pulled my by our Expedition. As the expedition might be too big to pull, we have a chevy venture mini-van that we would like to ideally tow behind the coach, if the expedition is too big.

I am fortunate to have a job that will allow me to be mobile and work from "home" but more realistically in one of my company's offices throughout the country (we have them all over).

Our kids are pretty flexible and open to different things and used to sharing space for sure.

We currently live in Tallahassee but have all been itching for a change. Our plan is to visit numerous places throughout the country that are intriging to us, enjoy expereince, expose our kids to more and ultimately find a place that we might want to settle down after a longtrip on the road together.

I really appreciate your help with this! Thanks much and please let me know if more information would be helpful.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Budget would help. I have a friend that has a Liberty Prevost set up for a family of five. 45' long with all of the luxury items one would want. Not cheap now but about 1/3 of the cost of new and it has 22,000 miles. Send me a PM if interested.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Ages & sex of the kids would help in determining where they would all sleep. You won't find one with separate bedrooms.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar makes a 40ft gas MH, Canyon Star 3920, on a 26klb F53 chassis that has an 8x10 garage, and 5500lb carrying capacity. That, in my opinion, would support what a family of 7 traveling around the country would need...
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

gasjarvi
Explorer
Explorer
You should look at a Class A with bunks. We just looked at one with 4 bunks in the back. I think it was a 2013 Hurricane.