cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerbus Roof Leak

Frelo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1997 Rexhall Aerbus XL 3500 from a private party. The seller reports that he recently discovered a leak around the bedroom A/C unit, and that he had the roof sealed. What's the likelyhood that any water would migrate into the ceiling or wall? A picture reveals water stains on the fabric above one of the bedroom's side windows. Any advice would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Well, I think most of your problems is "Yourself". And most of that is becasue of you being a "Newbie RV'er".

I have done all of my own "Work", and "Repairs" and "Mods" on every RV we have ever owned in the past 45+ years as RV'ers.

This is not just a Rexhall issues, its all RV's Period. The A/C Gaskets are very well known to have to be checked from time to time. As all that Viberations, Shakking and Rattleing and going down the Hiways of this country sure does losen up a lot of things on an RV's if you don't stay on top of it.

Its called "Proventive Maintance Programs". I don't concider it work to be working on the Motorhome when ever we are not using it. I am a "Real Nut Case", when it comes to "Provemntive Maintance Programs", Period.

We also have a 19997 Rexhall, and we haven't had one issue since we bought ours some years ago. But then again, I do all of my own work and repairs. I have never taken our Motorhome to any RV Shop, period.

When we did our Motorhme search, we decided that we wanted only a Rexhall, Period. They are a pretty darn good montorhome to statr wwiht. They are also still in business if you have to ask for any information about your Motorhome.

We also like the all the "Steel Frame" on Rexhalls wallls.

We have never Broken down or have ever had a leak of any kind, in any RV we have ever ownerd, now and in the past.

We wouldn't trade our Rexhall Motorhome for any other brand of Motorhome out there. We even did an "Inside Make-Over" on the inside of our motorhome. so now its the way we wanted it to look now. We really liked the Layout and Floor-Plan of our Rexhall Motorhome. But we didn't care for some of the "Colors", or for some of the "Furinture" it had in it that the manufactor used in our Motorhome.

So we replaced all of the old cruddy OEM Flooring and some of the OEM Furniture also. And we also got red of all of the OEM Window Treatments too. Instead we used "Real Household Curtains", and while we were at it, we put the very Dark Limo Tinttiing on all of the Windows that were allowed.

This Rehall Motorhome will more than out last us and then some. Our Rexhall Motorhoe is a pleasure to ride in and to drive very esaily with just one hand. We don't have to worry about "Semis passing us", and in most case "Cross Winds, unless they are extream.

And on top of it, we bought or Rexhall Motorhome, for a "Once in a Life-Time Buy.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our Yourkie Kids
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
By the time you get to 97 vintage, most RVs will have suffered a leak or two.

Get a moisture meter from Home Depot and test the water stains - any moisture at all means the problem still exists. My Newmar had it's old rubber roof replaced with aluminum and there are some stains in the ceiling where the old roof leaked - however they are bone dry so I don' worry about them.

Is that the Rexhall with the 2 slides and the J lounge? DW loved that layout and we nearly bought one but it was just a little too expensive (and from a dealer, something I will never buy from).

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
The leak may very well be due to the A/C anchor screws being loose which allows it to leak under the seal. Take the inside shroud off, find 4 screws, one at each corner, you will likely find that one or more of them are loose. If so tighten them snug enough to slightly compress the seal. This could fix the leak, however, if they are loose and tightening them doesn't fix the leak it may need a new seal.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

eastfizz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a 1997 Rexhall Aerbus 3250 since purchasing it from a private party in 2006. We have driven it 18,000 miles, including an 8000 + mile round trip to Alaska and back. No leaks, no cabinets coming loose, no delamination, no problems at all, except some oil leaking (now fixed) from the Generac generator - a typical Generac problem, not Rexhall's. Still have the all the original appliances working like new. Have the unit checked out to make sure the leak is not coming from a plugged A/C drain, as is sometimes the case. In our travels, we have met many Rexhall owners, and only run into a couple that were not happy. Placed a few calls to the factory when needed and got any parts needed or questions answered. When most people see our motorhome, they think it is much newer than 1997. YMMV.

Best regards,

Lowell

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Frelo wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1997 Rexhall Aerbus XL 3500 from a private party. The seller reports that he recently discovered a leak around the bedroom A/C unit, and that he had the roof sealed. What's the likelyhood that any water would migrate into the ceiling or wall? A picture reveals water stains on the fabric above one of the bedroom's side windows. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would turn around and run away from that Rexhall Aerbus and never turn around to look back...we had a 97 and it about made us about give up RV'ing.....it was the worst motorhome i ever had and we had 6 of them...nice looking coach and all, but Rexhall had no quality control at all.....would never even look at another of them...everytime you call the factory , a new person would talk to you...the turnover was out of sight...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the water has seeped over to the wall from the aC unit and it is possible that extensive damage has been done. Run Forest run.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. The owner may have recently discovered the leak, but the question is, how long was it leaking?
A small leak can do a lot of damage if not repaired.
I would check, or hire an RV tech, the roof, floor and walls for soft spots or evidence of damage. Repairs can get expensive.
You may be better off walking away from this unit and keep looking.

Here are some prior posts on Roof Leaks.