cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Compressor

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to buy a new air compressor in the next month or two! I would prefer one that I could travel with! I also prefer a compressor that would go up to 125 lbs. psi. I would like to spend around $250.00 or less! What brand has worked for you now or in the past? I'm thinking in the line of quality & durability!
17 REPLIES 17

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what it is you are looking for
A portable 12Vdc unit
A portable 120AC unit?
A Hardwired / plumbed unit with outboard tank?

I installed a Viair 150psi 12Vdc system with a 5 gallon tank bolted to the frame rail and plumbed with three outlets each with their own regulator and guage. This setup has worked GREAT for us. Might be something to consider.

Blow clean; the steps, dog hair from the rugs, inflate float tubes, clean the boat, etc....

It gets used way more often that you might think - no need to run the generator to get air - 25amp 12Vdc draw when under load - not a big deal when the solar array can supply over 40amps

Yes it easily airs up the RV tires and boat trailer tires

posid123
Explorer
Explorer
I think Porter-Cable CMB15 is a good choice, it can basically meet your requirements, and its price is not expensive, I bought a few months ago, until now, have not had any problems. I felt you could try.;)

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Harbor Freight compressor and am happy with it. This is the model I have: 6 Gallon 1.5 HP 150 PSI Air Compressor

This is what it looks like all packed in one of my compartments:
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
As I have said many times before if you wish to take it with you, get ride of the tank you don't need it and it is a waste of space.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

RVIrvine
Explorer
Explorer
The VIAIR 400P-RV Automatic actually builds 150PSI and comes with extra coil hoses to reach.

Here's a link to the product videoand their
website

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Any number of those mentioned above will work. Porter cable at the Depot or whatever. The big difference comes in with how much you will use it. If you ever plan on using it a lot buy an oil bath type as you will run the guts out of an oiless model. They are heavier though.
Thanks for the use info. I wasn't aware of that and, I wouldn't be using the unit very much.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Any number of those mentioned above will work. Porter cable at the Depot or whatever. The big difference comes in with how much you will use it. If you ever plan on using it a lot buy an oil bath type as you will run the guts out of an oiless model. They are heavier though.

It would be a rare case I would think where a compressor stowed in a motorhome is used enough to justify the weight and cost of an oil bath type.
I agree!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight has some that look good on paper. But I've had some low-cost compressors in the past and not all that pleased with them.

What I have in the basement is from sears and says it goes to 150 PSI. (Actually goes to 160) holds 4 gallons as I recall, and works well, came with a regulator but since I normally use full pressure I replaced with a quarter turn valve designed for Compressors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
we gto one from cw several yrs ago. comes in its on bag.with a bunch of accessorys. been good for us. air-lift is the name---now its all happy-camping

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used one like this for several years. Porter Cable
It is small enough to fit most RV basements and it provides enough air to top off my RV and toad tires. I carry 50 feet of hose and this allows me to reach all of the coach tires without removing the compressor from the basement. It weighs only 23 pounds so it is not adding much to your coach weight.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:

It would be a rare case I would think where a compressor stowed in a motorhome is used enough to justify the weight and cost of an oil bath type.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one from Sears.

http://www.porter-cable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=23677

Sears carries no parts for them. Porter-Cable does. My first one lasted 3 years. The reed valves are spring steel and rust. They are easy to replace with parts.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor from AMAZON Works well. Mine had a short cord so I bought Power Poles and #14 ZIP cord from Powerwerx and made up a longer cord. Power Poles were made for robotics. They are hard to crimp until you learn the correct thickness and width.