Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allegro Bus 2003 Instruments not working

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there everyone,

We have a 40 foot 2003 Allegro bus on a Freightliner chassis on which the instruments and warning indicators is not working on today. We were getting ready to take off with it and when we fired it up, the engine started just fine and the air came up on the air bags, but we didn't get the regular Low air warning horn and the air pressure gauges never read anything. Even the voltage and fuel level gauges were dead. Also, we did not get any warning lights such as low air or any of the other regular lights. I checked the 'Instruments' fuse and it was fine. I also checked the ground bus bar inside the back of the instrument cluster (accessed from the top of the panel) and all seemed to be intact. The obligatory 'Wire wiggling' rendered no blips of life.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! -

Eric and Carol Anderson
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! 🙂
Our Blog
10 REPLIES 10

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure wish OP's would post what the problem actually was:(
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
fcooper wrote:
What DANO2014 is describing is the repair instructions for cold solder joints in the Vehicle Data Computer in 1999 - 2003/2004 Freightliner chassis. Those instructions are available in the files section of IRV2 website.

I still think the OP has a bad fuse or relay.

Fred

I agree. I hope the OP posts what the problem actually was.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
luvdoggiez wrote:
OK, So I found the VDC in the power cable bay in the back Drivers side bay. I've worked to remove and reseat the connectors on the VDC. Is there any junction box towards the front of the rig, in the cock pit area where the cable from the VDC terminates to and then branches off to the instruments? I can't find one, but that just might mean I haven't found it yet.

Thanks! - Eric-

Go here Freightliner SB 54-12
and download Freightliner SB 54-12 for troubleshooting info on your gauges.

I "think" you will find a connector going to the message center (the block of lights that illuminate with various messages such as "wait to start", etc) with another connector going to the instruments themselves (called a spider harness). I want to emphasize that I've never seen these connectors....just read about them.

Just my opinion, but I think you have a bad fuse or relay. I hope you find the problem. Please let us know the resolution.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
What DANO2014 is describing is the repair instructions for cold solder joints in the Vehicle Data Computer in 1999 - 2003/2004 Freightliner chassis. Those instructions are available in the files section of IRV2 website.

I still think the OP has a bad fuse or relay.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

DANO2014
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problems on my panel gauges on dash not working....everything seems to running of working OK but does not show it on my gauges on dash.
Someone posted a bullentin and told me to check your EDC (Electronic Data Controller)Black Box which was located (if you are facing the back of your coach)on the left side of your engine.
Of course this may be a difference because I have a Allegro Buss 2002 with a Catepilla Engine?
My instruction were to remove this box disconnecting all electrical plugs going to it plus two air lines which controls your air gauges on the dashboard.
I did all of that, brought the Box (12 X 12") in the house and removed top and located by instructions that some of the Sorta had broke or cracked and that is where my problem may be. I could not tell by the naked eye so I took it to a radio/electronic shop and had them check it out and showed it had 3 out of 5 terminals cracked...Took him about 5 minutes to correct, went back home installed everything back, inserted electrical plugs and air lines back and "WOW" everything is working and has every since which was about 7-8 months ago.
If I did not attempt to do this myself, I was getting ready to spend $850.00 to purch a new EDC box. Sometimes we have to take a chance?
Hope this helps.....
DANO2014
Allegro Bus 2002
Retired: Cameron Iron Wks
U.S. Army Veteran
Louisiana Masons

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
OK, So I found the VDC in the power cable bay in the back Drivers side bay. I've worked to remove and reseat the connectors on the VDC. Is there any junction box towards the front of the rig, in the cock pit area where the cable from the VDC terminates to and then branches off to the instruments? I can't find one, but that just might mean I haven't found it yet.

Thanks! - Eric-
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! 🙂
Our Blog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it strange how some of these newer computer operated systems work, or don't work. I lost all my dash instruments for two days in my Cadillac SRX!. Then the 3rd day they all are fine and have been for three weeks now!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
luv dog
My motorhome is doing the same thing.. No gauges are working . Only mine is even worse.. It will not start on the key

I have freight liner also 03 dutchstar
Please post it on here when you fund out what it is

Thank you
Bob

Thank you cooper for that help desk number. I just called them and they are off until jan 2

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Your problem may be as simple as a blown fuse or bad relay. Your first steps should be verifying power to the instrument system. You will need the wiring diagram for you chassis.

Your freightliner chassis could have "System III" type instruments or
"MMDC" type instruments, depending upon the build date of the chassis. These systems take data from the vehicle data bus to drive the instruments, and are very different from the typical automotive type instruments.

Freightliner maintains a help desk as a free service to all freightliner chassis owners. Have your chassis vin number available (last 6 digits) and give them a call. They can look up the wiring diagram for your individual chassis and give you some ideas where to look for the problem. They have helped me several times. The help desk number is 1 800 385-4357. They can send you the wiring diagram for your coach.

I have some troubleshooting info on both systems (not the wiring diagram) that I can provide if you want it. If you want the troubleshooting info, I'll need your email address via private message.

I think your best bet is to call the helpdesk first.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same motorhome as you. I am not in it right now, but I think that behind the 2 drawers in the center console, there is another block of fuses that are related to the instruments.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata