cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Allegro Bus Fan Gear Box Replacement on Powerglide Chassis

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
For the people that can't read the topic . . .

Allegro Bus Fan Gear Box Replacement on Powerglide Chassis

Anyone done this on their own.. Was looking at it as mine is starting to leak. Seems easy to do was wondering how the fan and drive shaft come off the gearbox.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie
7 REPLIES 7

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Degreased it and drained and refilled with the 24 oz required. Mine was overfilled as it had a full quart in it. Mine does not have that little dip stick. I was told by the manufacturer, Curtis, that the gearbox was propriatary to them and not the same as the Freightliner unit and Tiffin and the manual said to fill with 24 oz
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith.....before you replace, there is a vent on the top of the gearbox. On both my 2014 Dutch Star and 2019 Dutch Star, Freightliner used a 3" riser to lift that vent tube off of the box. On both of mine that vent tube puked oil. Eventually, the fix was to add a long hose, extending the vent tube about 18".

Looking at my friends 2011 Allegro Bus, I saw that they used the same gearbox, driven by a drive shaft. On my coaches, Freightliner determined it was a seal and replaced MANY seals under warranty, when it was NOT the seal, but the vent tube. If you looked really close on mine, you could see a little river flowing form the vent tube, down to the seal. The oil blows all over the fan blade and the engine.

Before you replace the gearbox, thoroughly clean the area with a degreaser and then spray it with a hose. Then determine f your leak is from the vent tube or the seal. There is a large nut on the top of the gearbox, if you remove it, it has a short dipstick attached to refill to the proper level.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Evidently some have problems reading the title of your post.

When our Bus was new we had a leak in the gear box at the fan shaft area. Took it to Red Bay and they replaced the gear box while I watched. Aside from removing the bottom shield the only area they had problems with was getting the fan disconnected from the fan shaft. The fitting that attaches to the fan has bolts that are hard to get to. That fan mounting piece is held to the round shaft with 2? (I think) hex socket screws and a square steel key holding it to the shaft. Tiffin guys had trouble getting that loose and had to go for the bolts holding the fitting to the fan blades. When they disassembled, they said the fan would not come out if the shaft was still connected to the gear box. It took 2 techs about 3 hours to do the job, and they were working at head height on the whole coach lift. Laying on your back under it may be quite a bit tougher.

Just FYI, I have not been able to get my bottom gear box drain plug out for about the last 3-4 times it was scheduled for a lube change. Rounded the inside socket of the plug. I've been loosening the forward bearing cap since then to drain it, and have had no problems so far. If you tackle it I'd be very interested in any special problems you meet and your procedure. Although I watched Tiffin change mine, I should have paid closer attention.

Good luck.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Searched and found these: Hydraulic fan repair
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
ROGER, sorry buddy as I'm trying to understand your question? ANYONE DONE WHAT TO WHAT? What and where is whatever leaking? As for FAN and driveshaft coming off, what VEHICLES GEARBOX? Need more information.

Could this be for one of your two vehicles? If so which one and what? 2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX

Thinking of the connection between Transmission and Driveshaft, there should be a peace missing that connects the two together. It looks like a CROSS with even ends. And once in place is filled with impact grease to keep the ends pushed out connecting the transmission and driveshaft. As when this happens on the roadway that part is found laying on the roadway about 200-yards behind the vehicle. Try and recall when this happened and walk back looking for the CROSS as it's about 4" inch CROSS CENTER. Good Luck. If I understand you correctly?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:
Anyone done this on their own.. Was looking at it as mine is starting to leak. Seems easy to do was wondering how the fan and drive shaft come off the gearbox.

ROGER, sorry buddy as I'm trying to understand your question? ANYONE DONE WHAT TO WHAT? What and where is whatever leaking? As for FAN and drive shaft coming off, what VEHICLES GEARBOX? Need more information.

Did you read the topic at all . . . Allegro Bus Fan Gear Box Replacement on Powerglide Chassis

Did you read my signature line . . .2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:

ROGER, sorry buddy as I'm trying to understand your question? ANYONE DONE WHAT TO WHAT? What and where is whatever leaking? As for FAN and driveshaft coming off, what VEHICLES GEARBOX? Need more information.

Could this be for one of your two vehicles? If so which one and what? 2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX

Thinking of the connection between Transmission and Driveshaft, there should be a peace missing that connects the two together. It looks like a CROSS with even ends. And once in place is filled with impact grease to keep the ends pushed out connecting the transmission and driveshaft. As when this happens on the roadway that part is found laying on the roadway about 200-yards behind the vehicle. Try and recall when this happened and walk back looking for the CROSS as it's about 4" inch CROSS CENTER. Good Luck. If I understand you correctly?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?