cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another awning issue

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
I've been racking my brain. I have an 06 Damon diesel pusher and a few days ago the awning would not go down. When I hit retract the motor kicked in but it was already up. Just won't budge going down. I check dometic panel and the wind light was blinking so I figured the wind sensor was bad (which is common), however, now I'm not getting anything. The power to the panel does not exist. So I figured check a fuse. I wish! I can't find the **** fuses anywhere. In the coach or chassis. I checked at the front elec bin (drivers side) and no fuses are blown there. But I yet to find anything labeled awning fuse. Thoughts?!
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you trying to open it with the REMOTE or the on panel switch?

First: Disable the wind sensor, major pain in the operating system, Dometic does not, in my opinion, know how to make a wind sensor.. Feel free to disagree with me on that issue. it is after all only an opinion.

Now try both the direct control switch and the remote

IF it no longer reacts when trying to wine up or down

Fuses exist on the control board as well as wherever they put the supply line fuse, may be in hosue, or.. Well I have four fuse blocks on this RV, Chassis Main likely does not have it nor Chassis Aux.. But the Intelletec box and the House main are my suspects.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mlewin51 wrote:
After looking at the schematic I determined an inline fuse was in the system. We called the coach co and explained looking at the wiring diagram there should be an inline fuse somewhere. After back and forth talking to different folks we found the "mystery fuse." Sorry didn't know you wanted the whole story. I was hoping to see if anyone knew of these mystery fuses for awnings.

YEAR BRAND MODEL RV! As I stated, what you found was a totally off the wall problem. I have NEVER in 37 years and working on tens of thousands of motorhomes ever had such a hidden fuse. While you may have found such a problem, to state that this problem is a hidden fuse is a stretch. Or even a common problem having hidden fuses. The fact that some cannot find the fuses does not mean they are hidden. Doug

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at the schematic I determined an inline fuse was in the system. We called the coach co and explained looking at the wiring diagram there should be an inline fuse somewhere. After back and forth talking to different folks we found the "mystery fuse." Sorry didn't know you wanted the whole story. I was hoping to see if anyone knew of these mystery fuses for awnings.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mlewin51 wrote:
I helped a gentleman last week find a fuse. I looked over the wiring schematic and sure enough had to drill a 2 inch hole under the sink paneling to find an inline fuse. And modern rods have many fuses since modern amenities such as power windows, AC, even heated seats but everything is well documented and labeled to find inline fuses.

OK, state year and model of RV and HOW would you possibly know where to drill that 2 inch hole?????????????????????? RV schematics will NEVER state exactly where a circuit or fuse is located. Doug

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a gentleman last week find a fuse. I looked over the wiring schematic and sure enough had to drill a 2 inch hole under the sink paneling to find an inline fuse. And modern rods have many fuses since modern amenities such as power windows, AC, even heated seats but everything is well documented and labeled to find inline fuses.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mlewin51 wrote:
I have the first one without the extra roll down screen. I get no power at all to the control box. I tested the source wiring. Nothing nada. Checked all the fuses I can at least see. I come from the custom car/ hot rod world and its mind boggling that things would not be labeled correctly or at all, or at least provide a master list of ALL the fuses. I've heard about "drilling holes and behind secret panels you'll find a fuse."

There is a BIG difference between a few fuses on a Hot Rod/Custom Car and the 30 or more fuses on a RV. In 37 years as a RV Tech, I have NEVER had to drill holes to find fuses. There can be what you might call "secret panels". But that is very rare. Some products they hide control boxes, but that is rare. IF the 12 volt supply wire to the Awning control is DEAD, then you have NOT found all the fuses for the RV. Doug

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
I have the first one without the extra roll down screen. I get no power at all to the control box. I tested the source wiring. Nothing nada. Checked all the fuses I can at least see. I come from the custom car/ hot rod world and its mind boggling that things would not be labeled correctly or at all, or at least provide a master list of ALL the fuses. I've heard about "drilling holes and behind secret panels you'll find a fuse."

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mandalay Parr wrote:
If the motor kicks in I doubt that it is bad.
Mine acts the same way when the wind sensor is wet or raining.
Ok after it dries out.

We need to make sure WHICH Model awning and sensor he has. The original wind sensor was on the roof and water and wind could affect it, BUT, there is a switch on the control box to turn the sensor OFF. Turn it OFF and that takes the sensor out of play. The NEW sensor and control is in the front Arm and is a motion sensor, not a wind sensor and is not affected by rain or water. Now, it REALLY depends on which Dometic model awning he has. There are 2 models. One model has the extra roll down sun screen shade and the other is just a plain awning. He needs to respond which one he has. Regardless, at the main control if he has the current control, the Patio awning wires(2) are on a quick connect and labeled as Patio awning. You just disconnect and supply 12 volt positive and ground to that quick connect plug to make the motor extend and retract. IF it does NOT extend and retract he has a bad motor. IF it does NOT extend and retract but "bumps" when retracting and nothing when extending, he has a bad control there is a relay burnt out in the control. IF he has the awning with the Sun Screen, then the control may be defective as there are extra wires that go to the patio Motor and the sunscreen part of the motor. Rarely do OEM's label all the appliance fuses. What you have to do is, take a 12 volt test light or voltmeter and check ALL the 12 volt fuses you can find. Once you find the blown fuse and replace it you can then label it. Hopefully, the OP does NOT have the Ignition key ON as some install the Ignition wire to prevent power when the engine is ON. Doug

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
The Dometic motor has an electromagnetic lock. It's internal to the motor, it takes a lot of amps to unlock, so check all wiring to the motor and clean (wiggle) all connections.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
On my HR there was an inline fuse behind the panel that had the switch panel.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
Ok but for my own curiosity where would they hide the awning fuse if it's not labeled anywhere else

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
If the motor kicks in I doubt that it is bad.
Mine acts the same way when the wind sensor is wet or raining.
Ok after it dries out.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE