Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another used C vs A post

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

My parents are hunting for a camper and don't want to spend much. $20-$30k. They want something drivable. I've been in the industry for a decade and can advise them on certain +/-'s regarding construction but would like to solicit opinions based on actual user experiences.

They are looking at 2002-2005 C's and 2000-2005 A's. Some we've looked at that they really like.

2003 Winnebago Brave/Adventurer - 34D
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32
2005 Fleetwood Terras/Fiestas
2002-2004 Holiday Rambler Atlantis'

I've sold the Winnebagos and the HR's in the past and expressed to them my fondness of the Alumaframe construction with smooth aluminum siding on the Atlantis.

I've seen a few Terras/Fiestas with softish/flexing floors in kitchen.

Future maintenance costs and comfort/ease-of-setup are my primary concerns. Your thoughts?

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL
9 REPLIES 9

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Rental? Who would buy a rental? Click to zoom. :B This morning at Diamond Point Resort it was 28°F outside. Right now it is sunny and 37.8°F - an awesome day!

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I came from a high-line, very reliable Class A diesel to a high-line, near-new used Class C diesel Born Free.

My experience with the Born Free factory is that they will not stand behind their product. Not one bit, regardless what problems you have with it. After 3 years plagued with problems on the coach, I drove it to their factory thinking that everything would be fixed, and leave in good shape. Each and every item they worked on has either broken, failed, or re-malfunctioned. On top of that, they broke the electrical wiring connection to my unit's refrigerator while they were working on the coach. When I pointed out to them what they did, they said; "tough, we don't know anything about it, and we don't work on refrigerators." Even though I wrote numerous letters to the owner of the Born Free company and each department head, none of them ever even acknowledged receiving the letters. For the record, the Born Free roof and siding/windows leak rainwater in at least (6) places, with extensive damage to the woodwork, carpeting, and fabric ceiling in numerous places. The roof of the Born Free still leaks to this day.

I would buy a known brand like a Winnebago, and avoid any of the boutique brands such as Born Free, and any other low-volume coach maker. Regardless how well they tell you their quality is. I found out it's just not there on my unit.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having a C, and A, and TT, I like the C the best. C's are easier to drive and are still nice and big.

In a few years though, I may hate the top bunk and crawling out of the truck into the coach.... But for now, it's a C.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, Lots of rentals here locally. Should have mentioned previously but a slide is a requirement and my dad would likely not buy anything with more than 60,000 miles. 28' or larger.
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If trying to stay in that budget range, I might also suggest looking at a Ex Rental.

That is what I did and found that it was in my Budget range and worked out really well.

In this Thread Click Here

There is one in Texas

Also if you look in that year range for a Class C that is built on a Chevrolet Chassis, you will not have the problems that plagued the Fords of that era.

Just some more food for thought.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Thanks for the help guys.

- Phil
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil (the OP),

The Ford spark plug problem was solved by 2005. Also, starting in 2005 Ford changed to their TorqShift 5-speed (6 speeds internally) computer controlled transmission in their E350 and E450 chassis that are used under a lot of Class C motorhomes.

I'd recommend staying with 2005 model year on up if it's a Ford chassis you find under a used Class C within you budget.

Our 2005 Itasca and it's Ford chassis is has been excellent regarding build quality, standard features, and options. You might want to locate a 2005 Itasca in the length that meets your needs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestions:

Look for more gears. For Ford that means the TorqueShift Transmission, or Allison on a GM. The TorqueShift can be ID'd by an extra "3" in the shift selector, or the presence of a "Tow/Haul" button instead of an O/D.

A lot of people like Class A. I like the safety features of a Class C cab, and more impertinently, factory wiring up front. The wiring in most Class A's, which includes all dash wiring, is pretty atrocious.

Weigh it. A lot of RVs have little to no capacity on the rear axle. On that note - a longer wheelbase is better for a given layout. Keeps more weight up front which helps with drivability.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
That range, one ends up dealing with Ford two piece spark plug issues. Other than that, I don't really see any pitfalls in the drivetrain.

I'd say it depends on the individual unit. Leaks are common, so I'd check the unit (especially the cabover if it has one) with a fine tooth comb... if anything is found that looks/smells like water damage, walk.

I would personally lean towards the Winnebago or HR if all were equal, but that is mainly because of brand name.