Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Winterizing Question

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody,
It seems the winterizing topic is all over the rv forums for good reason, the question I have is with the introduction of PEX tubing in modern motorhomes, how does this type of plumbing hold up to freezing? Is the major concern with cold temps primarily focused on the holding tanks and such? Just curious, I'm from SoCal and we don't have the problem, just curious that's all. Happy New Year!
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler
4 REPLIES 4

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
My son had to replace the toilet water valve because of a lapse in judgement one September night.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the amount of freezing, I am usually most concerned about the non-pex parts, such as the pump, and fittings. The pex might expand enough to allow freezing, but I wouldn't count on it. Of concerh are the drain lines for the waste tanks, those pipes are big enough to contain a lot of water which if frozen would most likely crack the pipes and valves. The tanks thenselves probably have enough space that bursting would be improbable. Personally, I hope that I never have occasion to determine an accurate answer to your question!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The tubing holds up well as it will expand if frozen. What does NOT hold up is the hard plastic unions and elbows and "t's" that interconnect the tubing. They do not expand and then crack. Doug

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I may be wrong but I think it is more about the fittings than the hoses.