cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any regrets going from Gas to Diesel?

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a gas Class A and are looking at a Diesel.

Those of you have made the switch, did you have any regrets after you were in the DP?

Also, any feedback on a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery DP?
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler
34 REPLIES 34

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks msturz for the very informational, and repetitive post (laughing as I type, I crack myself up).

Bottom line is that you are correct. I think people may be a little jilted when they read your post, but it is accurate. I wanted a pusher and looked at entry to mid level coaches and bought what I could afford. I also know that there are a lot of people making the same choice in a gas coach that is mid to upper level in gas becasue you can get more stuff. I appreciate that and hope those that chose a different path do not get too upset with your information. The Discovery for us was a mid level, well appointed pusher and we are so happy with it. It is more expensive on many levels, but so was the diesel truck and fifth wheel we traded for the pusher. After seeing the same problem towing with a gas truck and the big difference the diesel made, it was a no brainer. For us, the journey is as much of the trip as the destination.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Are the differences between a BRAND NEW CLASS A GAS and BRAND NEW entry level D/P as big as they USED to be?

Thats the market i will be in. After reading up on the chassis/drivetrain combos in the past there sure used to be...especially late 90's through about 2007.

I wonder if the GAS Class A's may have closed that "gap" somewhat now.

For me I am comparing the 2016 Ford F53 to the entry level D/P (Coachman SPORTSCOACH, Fleetwood Excursion, Thor Palazo). First comparison is teh avg $40k price differences. Then the Maintenance cost difference.

Not worried about "resale value". Just purchase and use cost. With that being my concern, I am leaning towards the CLASS A gas and the new 2016 F53 chassis.

Although I keep including 2004-2008 D/P's in the mix as they are within the same price range (TIFFEN PHATEONs, Fleetwood Revolution, etc, etc). I just worry about maintenance/repair costs, which I must say, can appear ASTRONOMICAL when comparing to a new Gas Class A.

In short if I were in a well used Class A gas, going to a new D/P would be a great idea. Going from used to used could be good, just have to be choosy. If comparing NEW to NEW or used gas to NEW D/P, thats where I would be concerned with the additional costs.

If money not really a concern...D/P ALL THE WAY!

If you can stay under the 5K tow rating and the 26K GVWR as well as deal with the incessant noise and heat from the engine, the lack of an air suspension which means a rougher ride and sway in the wind then a gas Class A coach can work fine. We seriously considered a gas Class A. This is especially true of the Tiffin and some other well made gas coaches. Another issue is range, the F53 only comes with an 80 gallon tank which means you will effectively have a fairly short range depending on terrain. The F53 maxes out at 26K and your fuel economy will be low because the engine is working so hard. Ford has done an amazing job at getting a V10 with a 5 speed transmission to do the job that a FRED diesel engine used to do. Even a cheap DP will usually come with a 100 gallon fuel tank giving it an amazing range of nearly 1000 miles because diesel engines get better fuel economy. Like I said it could be the best for your family as long as you know the limitations of the chassis and don't "push" it to do what it wasn't designed to do it could work great. BTW one last point on price. Some of the low end DP units do have significant price flexibility so you may be able to get a DP unit in the same range as a Class A gas.
FMCA member

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The only big difference between a gasoline motor home and a entry level diesel pusher is the chassis. Everything on the chassis part is superior to the gasoline chassis. The engine lasts three to four times longer in mileage, the ride would be air ride versus springs. The towing, carry capacity, bigger generator then a gas motor home. Buffing on two lane roads is a big difference between the gasoline and diesel. Diesels being at least 10K lbs heavier at the same length do not sway with on coming traffic like the lighter motor homes.

The house part they can be equally in quality. The Dolphin coaches used to be very nice, not sure if they even manufacture them anymore.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Are the differences between a BRAND NEW CLASS A GAS and BRAND NEW entry level D/P as big as they USED to be?

Thats the market i will be in. After reading up on the chassis/drivetrain combos in the past there sure used to be...especially late 90's through about 2007.

For me I am comparing the 2016 Ford F53 to the entry level D/P (Coachman SPORTSCOACH, Fleetwood Excursion, Thor Palazo). First comparison is teh avg $40k price differences. Then the Maintenance cost difference.

Not worried about "resale value". Just purchase and use cost. With that being my concern, I am leaning towards the CLASS A gas and the new 2016 F53 chassis.

Although I keep including 2004-2008 D/P's in the mix as they are within the same price range (TIFFEN PHATEONs, Fleetwood Revolution, etc, etc). I just worry about maintenance/repair costs, which I must say, can appear ASTRONOMICAL when comparing to a new Gas Class A.

In short if I were in a well used Class A gas, going to a new D/P would be a great idea. Going from used to used could be good, just have to be choosy. If comparing NEW to NEW or used gas to NEW D/P, thats where I would be concerned with the additional costs.

If you can stay under the 5K tow rating and the 26K GVWR as well as deal with the incessant noise and heat from the engine, the lack of an air suspension which means a rougher ride and sway in the wind then a gas Class A coach can work fine. We seriously considered a gas Class A. This is especially true of the Tiffin and some other well made gas coaches. Another issue is range, the F53 only comes with an 80 gallon tank which means you will effectively have a fairly short range depending on terrain. The F53 maxes out at 26K and your fuel economy will be low because the engine is working so hard. Ford has done an amazing job at getting a V10 with a 5 speed transmission to do the job that a FRED diesel engine used to do. Even a cheap DP will usually come with a 100 gallon fuel tank giving it an amazing range of nearly 1000 miles because diesel engines get better fuel economy. Like I said it could be the best for your family as long as you know the limitations of the chassis and don't "push" it to do what it wasn't designed to do it could work great. BTW one last point on price. Some of the low end DP units do have significant price flexibility so you may be able to get a DP unit in the same range as a Class A gas.
FMCA member

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
My issue was one of tow rating. Our only vehicle that will fit the whole family is our Tahoe. There simply isn't any Class A gas rigs that have a tow rating more than 5k. Add to that fact the effort required to soundproof them is significant. Some class A gas manufacturers do a good job most don't. This means that you will have the heat and noise of a massive v10 under the front.
FMCA member

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
OldFogie wrote:
We have had a gas Class A and are looking at a Diesel.

Those of you have made the switch, did you have any regrets after you were in the DP?

Also, any feedback on a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery DP?

My first RV was an entry level DP. That was NEVER the plan! Before I bought I rented 3 different RV's, 2 class A and a Class C, all gas. I had a real good idea after doing so of what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. So.........I headed off to the Hershey, PA RV show so I could look over the various models available from my top choices of manufacturers. I walked into one of the coaches and it was unlike anything I had seen offered from that manufacturer but it had the exact floor plan I was looking for but did not believe existed. I found a salesman and said "what?" He said, yes, that's our new diesel pusher to which I said "heck!" I can't afford that. After stewing on it a bit I wondered what made more sense, buying something that did not fit your needs or paying a bit more for the "perfect" coach? I had never driven a DP and knew exactly nothing about them. I got very lucky during a visit to my local RV dealership when I was talking to a salesman and was overheard by a customer. He said "would you like to take a ride in mine, it has the same engine and drivetrain as the one you are looking at?" After that drive I was sold. I had to figure out how to come up with the extra $35,000 but I was so happy with my choice that I never had a single second thought about having done it. 3-4 years later I upgraded that entry level coach to a bigger DP and I have been living in that coach since 1999!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
NO regrets for me. Plus diesel here in Barstow California is only $2.77 and regular gasoline is $3.79

The difference in ride alone was worth switching from a gasoline motor home to a diesel pusher.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mike_I
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the minority also. Never happier going back to gas after a diesel. The new ford chasis are a great ride, easy to maintain and costs much less to operate

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. They give me something to think about.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

squatting_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm also in the minority glass. We have owned all types of rv's covering the spectrum (cab over, class C, class A, bumper pull, fifth wheel, and finally a bus.) Currently have a class A again. Having been a journeyman diesel mechanic for 30+ years, I know the difference in costs for even the most basic items. (filters, oil amounts etc.). Now, factor in the cost of major items (engines, trans, rear ends) and I couldn't convince myself it was worth the extra cost. I hear people say all the time, "but,a diesel will go a million miles". True, but,how many people will put a million miles on an rv? These are not long haul truckers. Here's a simple test, hit a dealer and ask them how much for a set of plugs and a fuel pump and air filter for say a ford V10, then, hit Cummins and ask the same for injectors and an injector pump and air filter. These are common maintenance items. See what I mean?
Just my opinion... yours may be different.

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm in the minority. Very costly maintaining and very expensive break down repairs. You have no idea what a minor repair can set you back. I had gas MoHos with engine replacement that ran $5500. Lose a diesel genset and you would be happy just to pay the price to replace a gas engine. Just imagine replacing a tranny or engine on your diesel. Heck just and air dryer will set you back big time. I'm sure many have had no problems with the diesel but I bet most gas ones have less problems.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
No regrets. Shooda done it sooner.
jwmII

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought the no pass through was going to be something I wished I had but not crawling under the slides to get stuff is a good thing too. Your stuff moves out with the slide and the three connected bays accommodate everything just fine.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.