cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Package Necessary ?

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
We are recently retired and will be doing the trip of a lifetime to Alaska summer 2015, leaving the east coast in April, wandering west, then north, arriving in Alaska by early June, staying the rest of the summer and returning when we feel like it - before the snow starts to fly. Is it important to purchase a unit with an arctic package? There aren't many to choose from. I'm not worried about 'chilly' nights, but if there is a serious risk of deep freeze,then we need to re-consider our choice. Published average temps don't make it look like we'd have ongoing problems. Thought?
11 REPLIES 11

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your insight. I knew I could count on this forum. Because the floorplan we are interested in is only available in a sprinter, we are limited in how much 'artic' protection we can get. We'll do the best that is possible given the possibility that some nights would be cold enough to make us vulnerable to freezing. Haha - "you can't cross the arctic circle without the arctic package". We'll take that under advisement ! But we do want to be inside the circle on June 21st - just to say we did. I'm working my way through the Alaska 2013 and 2014 posts. THAT will take a while. Thanks all !

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO if you are ordering a new RV, order the artic package. Dick

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for a coach with a large enough furnace to get the job done, preferably in the 35,000 to 40,000 BTU range. Count the heat duct outlets and check their location, you'll want at least 4.

Keep in mind that furnace fans are the biggest drain of 12V power in any coach. You will need at least two good sized batteries, Group 27's at the very least and 31's would be better with a couple of Golf Cart batteries being the best. Either enclosed and/or heated tanks will be vital if you are going to be anywhere the temps drop into the mid to low 20's or below.

Also look for a coach with a large fuel and propane tanks. Good luck.

:C

MoparBob
Explorer
Explorer
Is it necessary? No...not in the summer.
Is it a wise decision to purchase an arctic package? IMO...Yes.
2018 Ford F250HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L
2016 Glacier Peak 26RKS

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Bullet Premier by Keystone. They call theirs a "Thermal" package instead of an "Artic" package. Includes an enclosed and heated underbelly. I don't believe that it has added insulation, but it definitely helps to keep the pipes under the travel trailer warm. Obviously, you still have to do something to prevent freezing of you incoming water line.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note...it improves the resale value immensely too.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
You would probably be okay if you're careful but it's still pretty cold in some parts of Canada in May. How are you going to use the motorhome after the Alaskan trip? That should be the determining factor. It's not unusual to get wide swings in the temperature when traveling in the west and changing elevation. Even though we try to stay in moderate temperatures we find ourselves somewhere too hot or too cold several times a year. The extra insulation, dual pane windows and heated basement are things that we would never do without.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Obviously, you can't cross the arctic circle without the arctic package! ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you find a unit with it, that's great but for what you have suggested, it's definetly not required.

If after this trip, you expect to find yourself in very warm or very cold conditions, it's probably worth it. Just like with a house, better insualtion will result in lower heating and cooling bills.

If you travel with the weather staying in comfortable conditions (north in the summer and south in the winter), it's not needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Usually an "arctic" package consists of: extra insulation, thermopane windows, enclosed and heated underbelly and tank heating pads.

I would think you would find all these items useful and desireable whether you were going to Alaska or anywhere else. Not only will the extra insulation and windows help in hot weather too, but you'll also be prepared for any freak cold snap you could get overnite. Not unusual to have below freezing temps at high elevations overnite in the early and late summer months.

The cost of this package probably isn't alot. I'd get it.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the post above. But would add that it depends on where you plan to be and when. Some coastal areas don't drop much below 40F (from what I've read) year round. During the summer months, interior areas like Fairbanks are much warmer than coastal areas. But, the weather is generally unpredictable far in advance. Carefully read the "Traveling in Canada and Alaska" forum on RV Net, especially Roll Call Alaska 2013 & 2014 if you haven't yet. A ton of helpful info., and you will note that this year RVers had to deal with fires, significant flooding, water rescues, and late season snow. All part of the adventure! Finally, keep in mind that some (many?) campgrounds in Alaska and Canada start to close by mid-September. Best wishes for safe travels.

Bob

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
If the artic package includes upgraded windows and or insulation it would be beneficial in hotter weather also.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen