cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic generator startup?

herefishy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just curious, as the MH in question has left, but wondered if anyone could satisfy my curiosity? The MH parked next to our bed made a noise several times a night, not just horrible, but annoying, and it seemed to be coming from a compartment with 2 small exhaust hoses coming out of it. Does a typical MH with a generator start up periodically to keep the batteries charged?
'09 2500HD Duramax/Allison
'11 Bighorn 3055
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My aqua hot has one exhaust pipe coming out, about 2" in diameter, not two as the OP has described. That said, if I leave the diesel switch on at night it will fire up for a few minutes. To prevent that, I leave the electric switch on and the diesel one off at night. If my batteries draw down, the generator will come on with the autostart but it will run for about 30 minutes to charge the batteries back up, not only for a few minutes...without more information, we're only guessing anyway.....wonder why the OP didn't just go over and ask...:h.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
.....It operates through a separate diesel engine that kicks on and off at random......

There is no diesel engine in a Aqua Hot system. It is a diesel fire boiler that works on the same principle as the propane water heater. The water cools down, the boiler fires up to reheat the water

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like it is an Aqua Hot system which heats the water, heats the coach as well as the floor. It operates through a separate diesel engine that kicks on and off at random. The regular generator can be set to kick on if the batteries get low or if the coach gets too warm. Setting it to kick on when it gets too warm is typically used if it is parked with pets in it. We do not have the Aqua hot but we have a friend that has it in his Allegro Bus
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The gen normally would not come on several times during the night, even if it was on auto start. The noise you heard could have been the burner firing up on the Aqua Hot.
2014 American Eagle

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mr. Herefishy, I'm thinking it was the Aqua-Hot as it could come on periodically if left on. Or, did the motorhome have basement air?

Do you recall the brand of motorhome? That could tell us a lot about the options it may have.

MM.

Bingo. Not sure I understand the noise issue though.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Herefishy, I'm thinking it was the Aqua-Hot as it could come on periodically if left on. Or, did the motorhome have basement air?

Do you recall the brand of motorhome? That could tell us a lot about the options it may have.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
No...it's a feature that only the most expensive units have...that is changing however with new technology that lets you add an auto start feature for a few hundred bucks...

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't say the "typical" motorhome has a generator auto start, but many of the newer ones do. Having said that the ones that do have an auto start feature also have a control panel that allows the owner to program the generator not to start during "quiet hours".

In all cases that I'm aware of the generator will only self start if there is no shore power and the batteries go below a level set at the control panel, or the temperature inside the coach goes above a preset level and the air conditioner needs to run.

Many higher end motorhomes are also equipped with an Aqua Hot or other similar heating system. If it was a cold night you might have been hearing it start and run.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer