cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auxillary power switch

darbyjudy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 37 ft. Went out this morning and the chassis battery dead. Thought I could start it off the M H Batteries so I pushed the switch and nothing, no click or anything. I checked all the fuses and all OK. I thought I found the solenoid but I don't think it is correct one. It is energized when you turn on the key. Hope someone can help. I have looked everywhere and also checked all fuses in all three fuse panels.
2004 Gulf Stream 36 ft Sun Voyager triple slide
Workhorse W22 8.1
2004 Saturn VUE w/stowmaster towbar
Two Ole Pharts & One Little CocaPoo named Cuddles
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
FYI

in some case the aux switch is wired to the engine batteries
so IF the batteries are dead, the emg jump solenoid does NOT come on
pushing the switch does nothing

i have never understood the logic behind wiring it that way

I rewired my current and previous coach so the solenoid control switch is fed from both battery sources isolated by diodes. As long as either source has power the solenoid works.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

darbyjudy
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard I think you are on the right track. The engine battery was so dead that it would not light the dash lights. So the solenoid must get power from engine battery to energize it. The solenoid is powered when you turn on the key. Seems a crazy way to have it hooked up for if the engine battery is completely dead you could not energize the solenoid. Now I believe if you just had a low engine battery it might work. I guess it is wired that way so you are charging coach batteries from engine. All the time I was thinking all the batteries was being charged from the converter.
Workhorse W22 8.1

MrWizard
FYI

in some case the aux switch is wired to the engine batteries
so IF the batteries are dead, the emg jump solenoid does NOT come on
pushing the switch does nothing

i have never understood the logic behind wiring it that way
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No way are your house batteries going to start dead engine batteries by just holding the switch down briefly. Even if you hold the switch down for five minutes probably will not be enough charge into the engine batteries to start. I would start the generator and hold the switch down for 10 minutes and then try to start it. This assumes that you have a momentary switch that has to be held down... Not on or off.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were your house batteries fully charged? What was the resting voltage of the house batteries?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some convertors will charge both batteries by automatically closing the AUX Start solenoid if its functional. That could be the reason for both problems.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to install a "Tric-L-Start or a Amp-L-Start (which is more robust)". Either one will keep your chassis battery fully charged when on shore power. Just my 2 cents; kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

darbyjudy
Explorer
Explorer
Tried holding switch in and then turning key to start and nothing. The reason the motor battery was dead is that one of the compartment light was left on. I have a switch by the steps that controls power to all the compartment lights but I had forgot to turn it off. I put charger on battery all day and it appears to be OK now. I had just put a new battery in December. I keep the motor home plugged it but I guess the converter does not charge the chassis battery.
Workhorse W22 8.1

SeaDog_BRR
Explorer
Explorer
Try hold the aux battery switch in while turning the ignition to start. My winnebago works that way.
Greg aka SeaDog Ret Navy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS TT
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO (selling)
06 F350 6.0, Harley Ultra Classic 🙂 64 corvette 🙂

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you turn on the battery disconnects?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, some boost/combine switches are momentary (turn off when released), but some are "regular" on/off. The latter would have constant duty solenoids vs intermittent duty solenoids.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the solenoid you found is the IGNITION SOLENOID. Unrelated to battery boost/combine solenoid, which us usually located near the batteries.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Did you hold the aux switch in while turning the key? Many think just pushing the switch will "connect" it.