Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
happyjack2 - I purchased a Scan Gauge II that plugs into the connector right where the steering column disappears under the dash. This little device displays 4 different selectable readouts. It will read your "check engine" code and you can then look up the real cause. Often times it is nothing more than a loose gas cap. You can also clear the check engine light and wait to see if it returns. I paid $159.95 to have it delivered to my door. I find it useful to monitor engine RPM for best fuel mileage (happens to be 2,350), watching the intake air temperature, ignition timing, battery voltage etc. I especially like the portability to different vehicles.

Another option, take the RV to either a "AutoZone", "O'Reilly", or "Advance Auto" and they will usually loan you a tester and show you how to read the code and clear it.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Reno3
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Jack. A few years ago we had that problem with ck engine light coming on and staying on. Also at same time the Branke light came on and stayed on. We just ignored it and eventually it cleared its self and hasn't come on since. (our garage said every thing was ok with the motor)
Dick & Judy
'05 Montana Mountaneer TT 35'
'03 Trail Lite 211 S
'05 Saturn Vue Toad
1 Bassett Hound - Beauregard

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a week long NY & PA trip with the HappyJack2 researching the wife's ancestors ( last name George.) Got the dreaded "check engine light" on the way home. Oil pressure and water temp were fine, no external engine probrems and we pulled the mountains at 65 with no apparent power loss so I hope it is not going to be a major hit. It just turned over 60K so we have put about 27K in the last four years of our ownership.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlee wrote:
What is a realistic MPG figure for a Chinook/Born Free sized RV (21-24 ft) with the Ford V-10 engine, and driving at 65 mph or less?

And what value would a Banks exhaust system bring to this sized unit?
Doesn't seem like too many Chinook/Born Free owners are responding. I would believe the response from "tarnold" that recorded every gallon. Hard to compare the Chevy powered Trail-Lites, but suspect they would be close. Our 5.7 (350CI) Chevy with every gallon recorded averages 12.1 MPG. Doubt that a "Banks exhaust" would do much for these smaller units as most are not underpowered and fairly well streamlined so that the extra from the Banks system might not be noticeable.

cheese1 - Sounds like an enjoyable trip and I know you will enjoy the brass curved stems.
Gene

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know we were discussing mileage. I've gotten as high as 14 on mine, and average 10 in town.
Update: Not sure when I last updated everyone, but we took our longest trip in Feb, to Florida and everything worked great. About a month ago we took another long one to NovaScotia by way of New Brunswick(Bay of Fundy-a must see) and Maine, returned thru New Hampshire with a great visit to Mt. Washington. NS is beautiful, as is NB and the other states. btw, do not patronize the Yogi Bear Campground in Sturbridge, Mass. Its a horrible place.
Big baby is going in for service next week, all of 18k miles, but it's time. I purchased brass tire valves for the duals, and the Chevy dealer will install them. Now I can check the tires without injury.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
I think nearly 12 if I can keep my foot out it. The 6.0L Chevy will really get up and go.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
11ish
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
With every gallon being recorded, my 98 Chinook w/v-10 gets an honest 11.77mpg, driving speed limit plus. I really don't know the top speed but it has a lot of pedal left.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is a realistic MPG figure for a Chinook/Born Free sized RV (21-24 ft) with the Ford V-10 engine, and driving at 65 mph or less?

And what value would a Banks exhaust system bring to this sized unit?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Orion_42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jdizon, if it were only that simple.......
----------------------
2001 Trail Lite B+ 211

jdizon
Explorer
Explorer
there are 3 types of motorhome class's
Class " A " is the larger style motorhomes built on larger truck chassis's.
Class " C " is the type that is built on a medium duty truck or van chassis and the front looks like it is cut off of a van or truck and has a sleeper type cab over the van section.

Class " B " is the smaller motorhome conversion vans with NO Sleeper type cab over the van section, Some of the newer Volkswagon motorhomes are classified as class B as an example.

arizona mobile home community

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Born Free had a Bed and Breakfast B+ that reminded me of a Rialta floorplan wise (Rialta was much easier on the eyes).

It was all electric and had a casette toilet. Its only double bed was too restrictive.

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
Gene,

Our burner controls face out like a regular stove and are not covered by the stove top. They have a detent to set to light and a sparker like a outdoor grill has to ignite. My two gransons and a neighbor boy also were in the camper at one time and one of us must have moved the control to the light detent. The boys know not to touch things so I assume it was an accident as the narrow space between the sink and stove we could have brushed up against it.

Burl,

Yes, it was a close call. My neighbors there said a camper blew up last year at the camp when the owner opened it up for the season.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
OMG that is scary. Glad you got to it in time.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like stories with good endings. Thank goodness you had a good ending. Scarry isn't it? You must have had the lid up on the stove as our lid covers the burner knobs. We have not even tried using our stove burners. Is there an automatic lighter? Apparently not!!
Gene