185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
nothing to see here
60 REPLIES 60

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about spark plugs, you bought the wrong truck.
Air intake upgrade absolutely will pay for itself.
So will a new exhaust.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Read my post
I said difference, not power
Iridium plugs in my truck made a difference and smoothed out the idle and it's a known fix for the 8.1.
I'm replacing the wires since they're known to burn.
If it makes a difference in the way it runs then it's a bonus
Both need to be done at some time so it's all good.
You've never replaced plugs and wires?

babock
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...changing new plugs and plug wires to something aftermarke thinking that is going to help power!

P.T Barnum would be smiling!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned one of the best gear train mods you can get. Double your available gears with a Gear Vendors overdrive
That is money well spent. If you get the Banks, you need to torque the bolts correctly, then re-torque again after a couple trips. There is no gasket used or needed on the headers.

Gear Vendors will not work on the new 5 or 6 speed torque shift Ford trans, I did check it out, not sure if it also works on the Allison as well, I suspect as more gears are added to the new transmissions Gear Vendors wont be selling that product anymore.

I wondered that myself. That unit was a godsend in the days of the 3 speed and 4 speed transmissions. They sell plenty of them for dragsters and all kind of applications. They'll be in business, but less for Ford and Chevy stuff.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the plug wires
Motor doesn't have many miles but I like to be safe than sorry
I'll try them first to see what difference they might make before I do the flash
I have the same motor and trans in my truck and i replaced the wires a few years ago along with the plugs even though they're supposed to last 100k miles

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned one of the best gear train mods you can get. Double your available gears with a Gear Vendors overdrive
That is money well spent. If you get the Banks, you need to torque the bolts correctly, then re-torque again after a couple trips. There is no gasket used or needed on the headers.

Gear Vendors will not work on the new 5 or 6 speed torque shift Ford trans, I did check it out, not sure if it also works on the Allison as well, I suspect as more gears are added to the new transmissions Gear Vendors wont be selling that product anymore.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My uncle was a diesel mechanic in Alaska for decades. His advice to me was "get the air in , and get the air out." At his suggestion I bought an AFE air intake for around $275, and then a 4 inch exhaust. Best money I have ever spent. The old 7.3 liter is turning around 300 hp and has gotten a max mpg of 23.8 with those mods and a slight tweak from a tuner.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
185EZ wrote:

You didn't read my post.

You also didn't read my initial post.

I read perfectly fine, thank you.
I read only what you write.

If you are not typing what you mean, maybe you should proof read your posts before you hit POST.

Expressing a differing opinion is NOT necessarily trying to start a fight. It is called a DISCUSSION.

In a calm, reasonable discussion both parties can learn something......IF they listen.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Anyone tell me the stock V-10 exhaust manifold is just as good as the Banks header system, check out this pic and than tell me

Why haven't the naysayers have anything to say about this pic, what is better, stock or Banks ??

:B

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

Well Tim, We need to get your late model Bounder and my antique Bounder at the bottom of a mountain at the same time. Who ever rolls over the top of the hill last has to spend some more money on horse power. GRIN

Richard

As long as my trailer is not hooked up, what hill will we meet at..

:C

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
timmac wrote:

Need I say why I need that extra HP, I was able to fly with ease over the Rockies on I-70 from Denver to Vegas without a hiccup.

And need I say that the equipment you have there is not adequate for the task at hand ??

My opinion is that you are pulling too much weight and additional wind drag with the RV that you have.

And someone else mentioned that often "adding HP" puts additional strain and wear on the engine and transmission and drive components ??

BUT.....if you are happy with what you have, that's all that really counts. Until you aren't happy.

My total weight is 26,500 lbs, well under Fords max working weight of 32,000 lbs for the V-10 and 5 speed torque shift transmission, my suspected HP is 400+ and 500+ lbs of torque, same trans is used in Diesel trucks with lots more torque, 4 electric brakes on trailer for added braking, no strain on my motorhome.

I will see you in the hills and pass you by, dont let my side wind push you off the road..

Well Tim, We need to get your late model Bounder and my antique Bounder at the bottom of a mountain at the same time. Who ever rolls over the top of the hill last has to spend some more money on horse power. GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
timmac wrote:

Need I say why I need that extra HP, I was able to fly with ease over the Rockies on I-70 from Denver to Vegas without a hiccup.

And need I say that the equipment you have there is not adequate for the task at hand ??

My opinion is that you are pulling too much weight and additional wind drag with the RV that you have.

And someone else mentioned that often "adding HP" puts additional strain and wear on the engine and transmission and drive components ??

BUT.....if you are happy with what you have, that's all that really counts. Until you aren't happy.

My total weight is 26,500 lbs, well under Fords max working weight of 32,000 lbs for the V-10 and 5 speed torque shift transmission, my suspected HP is 400+ and 500+ lbs of torque, same trans is used in Diesel trucks with lots more torque, 4 electric brakes on trailer for added braking, no strain on my motorhome.

I will see you in the hills and pass you by, dont let my side wind push you off the road..

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
So many snarky opinions about adding performance.
I added the Banks Power Pack to my then 460 cu in engine at 40,000 miles. At 140,000 miles nothing had failed in the drive train.
At 140,000 miles I install a stroker crank, RV cam, and raised the compression to my now 528 cu in engine. Still waiting for those drive train components to come flying out at 158,000 miles.

Boy will be boys with their go fast toys. Now get out there and spend that $$ before your kids inherit it. All that money you save will bring you no pleasure in the nursing home.

Now where did I put that old Harley 74 for my wheel chair?

I want to die screaming and yelling "MORE HORSE POWER!"
Richard

Lol, I wish they had the "like" button
As Tim Allen once said,
"More Power, ar ar ar":B

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
185EZ wrote:
Sorry but the "professionals" make mistakes.
Vega. Gremlin, 1984 Corvette. All engineered abortions
Remember the ford pinto?
Firestone 500 radials?
Corvair?

Nothing is perfect but there are aftermarket options to make them better.

To say it's all hogwash is, well, just hogwash.

You provided a perfect example of trying to justify hogwash with more hogwash.

Of those examples you provided, exactly NONE of them could have been significantly improved with any add-on modifications.
Seems like I remember that the purveyors of "snake oil" even avoided them.

Hogwash!
You didn't read my post.
I said professionals and engineers make mistakes
You also didn't read my initial post.
I asked if anyone used one, not whether you think it's a good idea or not

Not even sure why you're here since all you've done is argue with everyone about doing what they want with their ride.

Some people are stubborn in their old ways and nothing will change their mind no matter how many times something can be proven positive.
Change is good. Some people just can't get past that