cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battaries not holding up

bjones3211
Explorer
Explorer
I went dry camping for the first time in my new to me 2014 class c and to my surprise the batteries did not make it thru the night the next night the only thing I left on was 1 led light and the refrig. when I got up same thing batteries volts around 5.5 is this normal?
14 REPLIES 14

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your old batteries test bad under load, I'd suspect a short or some item drawing too much current during the night. Appliance controls and alarms draw some 12 volt dc current from house batteries

If you disconnect the positive or negative cable on the house battery and connect an ammeter to the cable and battery post you may see how many amps are still being drawn with everything apparently shut off. If you are not able to test, have it tested by a trusted RV repair.

Was there a light left on in your storage compartment?
Did you have the furnace or furnace blower or ceiling fan running overnight?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I hope 2 of them would get you more then one night

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bjones3211 wrote:
thanks for all the feed back yes the refrig was running on LP. guess I need to have the batteries tested the bad side is I don't dry camp much hate to put out a lot of money just to have them go bad again.

I have 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries
If you mean marine deep cycle batteries then they are just slightly better than starting batteries and are not deep cycle batteries. But they should be OK for a night.

How did you recharge for the second night?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switched my 12 volt car batteries for deep cycle Trojans, huge difference. I had the same issues as poster, batteries were weak.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bjones3211 wrote:
guess I need to have the batteries tested the bad side is I don't dry camp much hate to put out a lot of money just to have them go bad again.
You don't have to bother testing them if they won't hold a charge. A $12 voltmeter will tell you that.

What do you mean 'have them go bad again?'. They should hold up at least 4-8 years with proper maintenance.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bjones3211
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the feed back yes the refrig was running on LP. guess I need to have the batteries tested the bad side is I don't dry camp much hate to put out a lot of money just to have them go bad again.

I have 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you boondock without shore power, then it behooves you to maximize battery capacity.

I'm having great luck with my used Telecom batteries. I've had them in service for a year now and I push them hard.

They are taller than golf cart jars, but being AGM can be installed sideways. I'll certainly go with them again, since I can't afford my "ultimate" battery which would be six 2 volt AGM's with 900 amp-hours of capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Most "new to me" units come complete with dead batteries.
Good point, have the battery load tested at a auto store.

My 2 year old "new to me" rig came complete with 6 bad batteries which were replaced at the owners cost. Still going strong after 5 years with good management.

Bob

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Be interesting to know what is mean't by "the batteries".
Type, how many, etc.
Has the electrolyte level been checked on the batteries.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bjones3211 wrote:
I went dry camping for the first time in my new to me 2014 class c and to my surprise the batteries did not make it thru the night the next night the only thing I left on was 1 led light and the refrig. when I got up same thing batteries volts around 5.5 is this normal?
5.5V is dead and the battery will quickly become bad at those voltages.

How many and type of battery and what loads did your run? Seems like you need to become much more aware of and manage to your setup.

Batteries have limited power and shouldn't be discharged below 12.1V or you will be buying lots of new ones.

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most "new to me" units come complete with dead batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I assume the water heater was not on electric?
bumpy

Do they make 12-volt electric water heaters? Or an inverter issue?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the water heater was not on electric?
bumpy

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
bjones3211 wrote:

Is the fridge on 12V or propane? If it's on 12V that's likely your problem. That heating element draws a lot of juice - run it off of propane unless the engine is running to charge the batteries. When on shore power obviously use 110V.

If the fridge is on propane and you're sure there's nothing else on to draw it down then you may need to replace the house batteries.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)