from Alamosa to Canon City, CO. There are a couple of historic
State routes that might not be suitable for our RV. We drive
a 37' Allegro, towing a Chevy Tracker.

All hints will be appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, 10% grade? That would make it shift down 1 gear at 75 MPH which is the speed limit. I drove a truck up and down all of it. Haven't been on 17 since last year but it is pretty country. Slow down and enjoy it.In the "Good Ol Days" La Veta was 13% going down to Walsenburg and as dangerous a pass as Slumgullion @9% and I used to drive both, once a week.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Route 17 north is in terrible condition due to frost upheavals. A miserable
drive, for sure--thump-thump most of the way. Only small sections have been
repaired. Should have taken US 160 to I-25 to US 50!!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on 50 going east, on a weekend, it is not without some hazardous passing by your fellow travelers. I would use the I-25 route if you are traveling on a weekend.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Barry. Having driven both routes multiple times with no issues.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
17 to 285 is a straight road that has a gradual grade up, 285 mostly straight road with a gradual grade up for miles but it is gradual, once atop of Poncha pass going down in to Poncha Springs it is downhill but nothing dramatic a few turns in the top half this must be the previous posters 5% grade though it is only 3%. Once on 50 it just follows the grade of the river which is gradual down it does get a bit curvy due to the river course but not a bunch of switchbacks or anything.

Taking 160 east to 25 is a slow up grade to Ft Garland shortly after there you go up La Veta pass which is also no big deal which maxes at 6% and since heading east it would be on the downhill side and while it has a few turns it is one of the easier passes in the state. I 25 has a few short but steep sections not far north of Walsenburg I think there is a turn at the top of one of them and the bottom of the other one unsure where the previous posters close to 10% is coming from on this route
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
North to 50 and then east only has a little over 5% grades. East to Interstate has some close to 10%.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd take the first option. More scenic and a more laid back drive. Huge plus is you don't have to go through Pueblo.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This ^^^^^^^ But you could also take 160 W to I 25 N to Pueblo and then take 50W to Canon City. Less than 15 minutes longer but maybe a tad bit easier if you don't like winding roads.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
North on CO 17 to US 285 to Poncha Springs and US 50 east.