cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware Fleetwood

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
In 2011 we bought a 4 month old Fleetwood Fiesta 34B gas to take a 3 year, 36,000 mile trip then live in it for 1 1/2 years in Charleston, SC. Of course we had electrical, mechanical,A/C and habitability problems but after the year warranty ran out they were useless. The pleather, fake woodwork and rugs disintegrated, slides leaked, levelers wouldn't extend/retrack, tons of electrical problems we can go on and on and they provided no help. We didn't even have the proper manuals. The ONLY good thing about our RV was the Chevy Workhorse.

NEVER, EVER trust Fleetwood.
39 REPLIES 39

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
balfre1946 wrote:
In 2011 we bought a 4 month old Fleetwood Fiesta 34B gas to take a 3 year, 36,000 mile trip then live in it for 1 1/2 years in Charleston, SC. Of course we had electrical, mechanical,A/C and habitability problems but after the year warranty ran out they were useless. The pleather, fake woodwork and rugs disintegrated, slides leaked, levelers wouldn't extend/retrack, tons of electrical problems we can go on and on and they provided no help. We didn't even have the proper manuals. The ONLY good thing about our RV was the Chevy Workhorse.

NEVER, EVER trust Fleetwood.

We had an 87 Pace Arrow once and probably Fleetwood's top of the line at the time. Good quality for it's time and served us well.
Then got our present National RV and found that there is no comparison between the two and with National being so much superior in the gas puller line during it's day. Naturally we had some newness in technology to consider, but that doesn't hold true in quality of workmanship and have seen new coaches, most recently that I would trade our old and original interior for.
Not saying that they don't make quality gas coaches any more and would be looking at a Newmar, if looking for something late model and in that category.
I do like older, tried and proven products and those that have depreciated substantially. Now speaking of Fleetwood for example and a DP in this case, I'm really partial to the 2006 Revolution LE 40E. Now, here we have one of the best and what is actually an American brand, built on the American platform, Spartan Chassis with side radiator, as well, but at the same time, says nothing on it, about being an American Revolution. One of the best bangs for the buck IMO and especially if one likes having a 1 1/2 bath model that you could most likely keep on the road, next to forever.
Point is, company models can vary widely and again, newness isn't the key to quality and longevity.
If one wasn't too concerned about the number of slides and floor plan selections and wanted a real tank of a coach, then an old Bluebird Wanderlodge would win hands down IMO and again, something that could be remodeled and updated forever, like an old yacht.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
The seats in our 2014 Tiffin started pealing but i dont blame Tiffin and in fact bought a new one. And i will still vote for Trump.

Fleetwood makes a Trump model? :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

donee
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the first rig I bought was a 26' Fleetwood bunk house travel trailer in 1980. After trading thru several different style rigs, from different manufacturers, we finally came back to Fleetwood and have just taken delivery of a 2016 SouthWind 32 VS.
Came back from the "shakedown" trip and love the unit very much.
Looking forward to many more travels in it.
donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
2016 Fleetwood SouthWind 32VS
14 Jeep Cherokee
K7UTA

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
Fleetwood was originally founded by John Crean in the fifties as Fleetwood Enterprises. Sometime around 2000 he left the board of directors due to differences in company direction. He was a simple conservative man and ran his company that way.

After he left the company tried to expand too fast taking on debt. When the recession started in 2008 many companies including Fleetwood went under and the remnants were later purchased by another company. That company did honor some of the original companies customers warranty work and was of a select few who did.

For a very interesting and informative read obtain a copy of "The Wheel And I", an autobiography of Mr. John Crean. I received my treasured copy, signed by Mrs. Crean, many years ago. The book was sent to me by my co-moderator Eric (96Bounder30E).
Dick thanks for the hard hitting post about Fleetwood! Some people think were just complaining, but when you buy a brand new coach and have problem after problem it's disturbing to say the least! Crean had Fleetwood heading in the right direction when the bean counters over took him at a Corporate meeting and all they cared about was getting as many unit's out the door as possible! They wanted quantity instead of quality and it cost them to go out of business!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood was originally founded by John Crean in the fifties as Fleetwood Enterprises. Sometime around 2000 he left the board of directors due to differences in company direction. He was a simple conservative man and ran his company that way.

After he left the company tried to expand too fast taking on debt. When the recession started in 2008 many companies including Fleetwood went under and the remnants were later purchased by another company. That company did honor some of the original companies customers warranty work and was of a select few who did.

For a very interesting and informative read obtain a copy of "The Wheel And I", an autobiography of Mr. John Crean. I received my treasured copy, signed by Mrs. Crean, many years ago. The book was sent to me by my co-moderator Eric (96Bounder30E).
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
ljr869 wrote:
As I recall, around 2011 was a bad time for Fleetwood.

I think all industries had a bad few years starting in 2008. That is when all of our jobs had flown overseas and the housing market dropped to start the biggest recession we have seen in years.

But things are great again and the RV industry is booming. I was driving down on I-15 today and there were many motor homes on the road.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall, around 2011 was a bad time for Fleetwood.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my third Fleetwood. Minor issues only. From cheapy's to mid-range DP.
Always take negative "Opinions" like the word "Assume"...

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Boy did the wheels ever come off this thread.
2013 ACE 29.2

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 99 Fleetwood brand new off the showroom and had many of the same problem as your having. First rain storm that we were in the roof was leaking water. Fleetwood never tested my coach for leaks when it left the factory! The engine was a Ford V-10 and the spark plugs were blowing out of the block, slide out problems and more? Fleetwood repaired everything every time with a apology so I commend them for that. After 4 years, I just couldn't trust taking this coach out again and traded it in on another Winnebago. Sorry to hear about about the problems with your coach and I feel sorry for the next person who owns it after you trade it in!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
balfre1946 wrote:
What sad.sad little people who apparently read RV.net morethantehNYPost.Go elect Donald Trump, the white trash candidate, you will deserve him

Yep I got a similar relpy from him in my inbox about me being white trash and a supporter of Trump that I proudly am..;)

Some folks are just to ruff on things and others are easy on things and it appears the OPer is the white trash..:E

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Started with a 2000 Fleetwood Angler cab over for 4 years and moved to a Fleetwood Terra 26Y in 2004. Had that for 11 years. Bought a Itasca 27 N last year and nothing but problems. Where is my Terra?

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
The seats in our 2014 Tiffin started pealing but i dont blame Tiffin and in fact bought a new one. And i will still vote for Trump.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood builds motorhomes for a wide market from a entry level gasser to top of the line American Dp coaches and a many models in between. You can't champagne on a beer budget!;)