cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking and using a Generator while sleeping ???

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2016 Class A Thor Challenger and I was going through the manual and it says to never run the generator while sleeping.

We have carbon monoxide detectors inside the RV, front and back and we will be boondocking on a few of the nights at Flying Jay's truck stops as we drive back to Arizona this week from the east coast.

We had the generator running while driving from Florida to Connecticut as it was hot during the day, and there seem to be no issues with the Generator and already boondocked one night and had the generator running all night. (this was before reading the manual)

Should I be scared to have the generator running while we sleep? As it will be hot in the evening during our trip?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVER wrote:
THEY (THOR) probably knows that they did not vent the generator well and do not want you to use while sleeping since it can enter your rig and you would not know it. I would not do it and why would you? A/C at night? NO just open the windows and put wet face cloths on if need be but running the gen while sleeping is a bad idea for anyone and many places require you to shut them down at 10 pm anyway since they will keep up the whole area.

???
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
THEY (THOR) probably knows that they did not vent the generator well and do not want you to use while sleeping since it can enter your rig and you would not know it. I would not do it and why would you? A/C at night? NO just open the windows and put wet face cloths on if need be but running the gen while sleeping is a bad idea for anyone and many places require you to shut them down at 10 pm anyway since they will keep up the whole area.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First consider adding a Gen-Turi (Camco product) to your RV.

On my RV. Driving never an issue
Parked (or driving very slow) the generator would set off the CO alarm in about 2 hours.

With the Gen-Turi installed. 25 hours and no alarm..
NOTE: even if I do not attach the "Stack" just the added little bit of pipe seems to be enough to quiet the alarm. but.. I still put the Gen-Turi stack on when I'm going to generate parked.. Much safer that way.

Back when I got it there were all kinds of folks trying to convince me it was a bad thing.. They lie.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
FormerBoater wrote:
Unless I missed it, no one has opined on a gas powered genny vs. diesel.

In the boating world, there are unfortunate deaths from gasoline generators in vessels that are moored in calm coves with little wind in the summertime.

Deaths from diesel generators are virtually non-existent.

The reason is that diesel exhaust CO content is very low.Gasoline exhaust not so much.

That's why no one is dying in the truck stops with all of the semi's idling through the night.

OP does not list his rig, so it is tough for me to give advice except that I never am concerned running our Onan QD7500....CO monitor always reads 0.

Most of the OTR trucks in the truck stops are running stacks, not weed burners. These days, most OTR trucks are also running APU's instead of the main engine while parked for extended periods. The various state idle laws have cut way down on extended period engine idling. Usually, the noisiest engines from parked vehicles are the refrigeration units on cold vans.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Unless I missed it, no one has opined on a gas powered genny vs. diesel.

In the boating world, there are unfortunate deaths from gasoline generators in vessels that are moored in calm coves with little wind in the summertime.

Deaths from diesel generators are virtually non-existent.

The reason is that diesel exhaust CO content is very low.Gasoline exhaust not so much.

That's why no one is dying in the truck stops with all of the semi's idling through the night.

OP does not list his rig, so it is tough for me to give advice except that I never am concerned running our Onan QD7500....CO monitor always reads 0.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
dotcommer,

properly.

One suggestion I might make is about an hour or so BEFORE you pull over for the night, turn your generator on and run your A/C (two, if you got 'em) on HIGH at a fairly COLD setting. What we find in our rig is when you pull over, there is A LOT of heat underneath the vehicle in the engine, exhaust pipes, muffler, tires, etc. and that heat rises into the coach. Yes, our rig generally is pretty well insulated, but you can still feel that heat coming up into the coach. By keeping the entire rig cool BEFORE we stop, that excess heat is comfortably absorbed by the cool RV interior. In some cases, depending upon the outside temperature & humidity, you might be able to be comfortable with just a window or two open.

Due to the size of our family, we usually travel with at least one A/C running anyway le.

Safe travels,

~Rick

Thank you for the response

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
A Good Cigar wrote:
You said that your RV has two detectors. When running the generator overnight for A/C , just before going to bed simply test each detector individually, and get a good night's rest:)
Yes.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
dotcommer,

Not sure why many are bringing campgrounds into the discussion, you mentioned Flying J's specifically. Although, in my opinion, I find Walmarts to be more accommodating and generally more plentiful. But that, too, is another discussion.

Yes, you can run your generator through the night. As has been pointed out, make sure your detectors are all working properly.

One suggestion I might make is about an hour or so BEFORE you pull over for the night, turn your generator on and run your A/C (two, if you got 'em) on HIGH at a fairly COLD setting. What we find in our rig is when you pull over, there is A LOT of heat underneath the vehicle in the engine, exhaust pipes, muffler, tires, etc. and that heat rises into the coach. Yes, our rig generally is pretty well insulated, but you can still feel that heat coming up into the coach. By keeping the entire rig cool BEFORE we stop, that excess heat is comfortably absorbed by the cool RV interior. In some cases, depending upon the outside temperature & humidity, you might be able to be comfortable with just a window or two open.

Due to the size of our family, we usually travel with at least one A/C running anyway while on the road, but if travelling in the heat and knowing we'll be pulling over within a few hours, we'll crank up the bedroom A/C as well to make sure it's nice and cool when we finally pull over to sleep. Many times, I'm able to shut the generator down within an hour after we stop.

Lots of variables, but in my opinion as long as your equipment is properly functioning, no problem with being comfortable.

Safe travels,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MrWizard
i don't think this discussion has much to do with electric 'HEAT'
its about needing the A/C, blankets don't cut for cooling down
you can strip down to the birthday suit, and lay on top of the sheets with the windows open and still be too HOT to sleep 😞

Tom N wrote:
I never run my onboard Onan generator while sleeping. We just pile on the blankets. We have stayed down to 10°F.

-Tom, W3TLN
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Please don't camp next to us while running your generator all night. We've been exposed to generator exhaust and noise upwind from us which is very unpleasant with our windows open. Many CG's or RV parks do not allow it. What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

If you have electric in a campground why would a generator be running? If your somewhere else and your getting fumes and noise close your windows and turn your generator and AC on.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
10forty2 wrote:
CO Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

5 minute Google search......

whoopeeeeeee. IF you read it, BOTH were caused by faulty systems, Don't maintain your RV and bad things can happen. But, The main premise it is SAFE to use the genset. Doug

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Branson N Tucson wrote:
...dig in the pocket and stay in a RV park and enjoy your night.

I agree. Stay in RV parks and support small businesses.

It’s not an issue of money or not supporting the parks. We found that most parks don’t like you arriving later in the evening. And we don’t want to disrupt others in the park upon a late arrival. We will definitely be staying at some parks along the way.
I’m a night person and traffic is much better in the evening, we usually drive until Midnight, then look for a place when are we are not planning on stopping at an RV Park.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Branson N Tucson wrote:
...dig in the pocket and stay in a RV park and enjoy your night.

I agree. Stay in RV parks and support small businesses.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I never run my onboard Onan generator while sleeping. We just pile on the blankets. We have stayed down to 10°F.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to any major university on a football weekend, down south at least, and you will find hundreds of motorhomes running their genset from Friday to Sunday..

They all have Genturis as required.

I have almost 4000 hours on my genset and we were inside for most of them.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.