cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakdown Information

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
Moderators Note: This thread is intending to report a problem and its resolution. If you are seeking help or information to help you resolve a problem you would best be served by initiating a thread on the class A forum proper

After some conversation with Diesel-Lover and others on this forum I thought I would try to start a thread concerning breakdowns on the road. We try to prevent this by good maintenance and driving reasonably but it can still happen. As I observed in a previous post, on a roughly 350 mile northbound drive on I-75 I saw 4 class A MH broken down. All were southbound.

If we should have a breakdown and would post the following information on this thread it could be a resource and reminder for others.

RV particulars:
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):
Miles:
Year:
Break Down Description: (You can add any description of the problem here that you think would help others in understanding the situation and problem.)
Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause:
Outcome:

This is the type of information that is recorded in the aircraft industry and other maintenance activities to track failure trends. It will take a while before we see a lot of value in this. If it continues for a time and sufficient data is available, I will analyze the data and put it into a form that I can send by email to any interested parties. I would suspect that an initial report could be done in about three months or when we have about 100 to 150 cases.

What do you think?
818 REPLIES 818

mattpoland
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars: 2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Driveline (Engine, Transmission): Freightliner, Cummins ISB 300hp, Allison 3000
Miles: 24500
Year: 2003
Break Down Description: Starter failed on my first trip at 24500 miles. This also happened to the original owner on his first trip. My coach has the 3rd starter in it and has less than 30k miles.

Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause: Freightliner says failure both times was from trying to start the motor while the engine was running. Freighliner mechanic says this is common on the ISB's and that the starter is too light duty. Giant RV Murreita delivered a coach with a starter on its last leg twice... Freightliner tried to say it was driver error but so far has paid for it under warranty.
Outcome:

jmbarber
Explorer
Explorer
I recently broke down in Mazatlan. The problem was an overheating engine. It turned out that radiator fan stopped working. After several phone calls to Freightliner, I was advised to drain the Dexron III ATF in the hydraulic reservoir, flush the lines and replace the ATF with 15-40 motor oil. It worked! It seems that, in some applications, ATF is a little too thin to turn the fan properly. In my case, the fan stopped but I was able to get it to run again by starting it by hand. It would then run but only at about half-speed...not enough to cool the engine properly. After changing out the ATF for 15-40 engine oil, the fan ran like a wildcat. It seems that some applications need a slightly thicker hydraulic oil to work properly.
Jerry

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:

Work Horse 8.1, Allison

Miles:

Year:

Break Down Description:
Hard Start

Symptoms:
Took 3 tries to start

Effect:
Once started motorhome ran fine, no power loss, no missing or bucking

Cause:
Plugged Fuel Filter

Outcome:
Engine takes 55 psi fuel pressure to start. First try fuel pressure was 30psi, second try fuel pressure was 40psi, third try finally enough psi to start. Once started psi was high enough to run fine.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

craigpiette
Explorer
Explorer
1996 Monaco Exec. purchased used 7/03
no start ... short in ignition wire ... bypassed to battery drawer ... now I have a surefire anti theft device::battery drain while driving and died as we coasted to a spot of safety ... thought it was alternator ... many hours, new alternator, new batteries, head scratching time later ... the "Isolator" was burnt ... 50 cent piece of wire later it was bypassed and I was headed down the road ::after successful fishing trip deep in Canada rig started to buck then died ... thought it was dirty fuel filters ... after a $1500 tow, diagnosis fuel pump ... 2 days later it arrived ... on down the road

Thats all folks!

mibearbait
Explorer
Explorer
I had a breakdown this year along I70. I had to call for service using the Newmar Club service. The vendor they sent was able to assist in getting the unit started and I drove it to the nearest truck stop. The truck stop replaced the fuel filter, but this didn't resolve the problem. They checked the computer code, which was a 164-2. They stopped at that point, as the vehicle is still under warranty, they were not authorized to work on Cat engine. We set there for two days waiting for the Cat parts store and service center to open. The local cat dealer determined that the problem was associated with a sensor telling the computer that the engine was having erratic oil pressure, causing the computer to shut the engine down. Sensor was replaced and problem appears to have been resolved.
2004 Newmar Dutchstar
Grand Cherokee Toad
Garmin 7200 GPS

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

wilderness_walk
Explorer
Explorer
RV Particulars: Winnebago Sightseer
ford 6.8 liter V10
Miles: 26,666
Year:2003
Break Down Description: Engine wouldn't fire, battery power good, gas tank full, fuses good.
Cause: self-tapping screws used someplace under the bed were screwed into fuel pump wiring harness eventually breaking through wires.
Outcome:
had to get towed 75 miles, watching repair shop drain 90 gallons from a supposed 75 gallon tank, they dropped the gas tank to get at the fuel pump (we originally thought it was the fuel pump) and found the exposed and broken wiring. This is the 3rd instance we've had with Winnebago and their self-tapping screw problem. They fall out all over the place (causing 1 flat tire). I just have to wonder if they have any idea what they are screwing into when they build their bodies!
Walker girl:C

jkill2001
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:

ford 460

Miles:
Year:
Break Down Description:
pulled off to the side of the road with trailer in tow and put flashers on. left unit for 1 min, passenger inside told me that smelt like wires burning. come to find out flasher fried
Symptoms: couldn't shift out of park cause blew a fuse for the brake signal
Effect:
flasher fried no turn signals and couldn't shift out of park cause blew a fuse for the brake signal
Cause: too many lights flashing off of a 2 pin mechanical flasher
Outcome:
had to end up getting towed after paying 800 bucks to find out it was a fuse that i had in the coach. replaced fuse and replaced flasher with a 3 pin electronic flasher. now that motorhome is being traded in.

charlesdrex
Explorer
Explorer
I just joined the forum and I'm glad to have read your article being a first-timer. Your experience, information and thought is very helpful.

WeBrzn2
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars: Western RV Alpine Avalanche

Driveline: Cummins ISC 350 and Allison MH3060

Miles: 4,500

Year: 2004

Symptoms: Noticed considerable diesel fuel contamination on toad and back of motorhome after climbing 6% grade.

Break down description: No actual breakdown, just concern for fire hazard and paint condition on toad.

Remedy: Took the unit to Cummins facility and found, after considerable troubleshooting that the high pressure fuel lines (could not determine which one due to fogging) were leaking only under significant load. Cummins replaced all high pressure fuel lines and cleaned the engine and radiator. Issue has not recurred.
2004 Alpine Avalanche DP
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
2005 Mini Cooper S
2000 Vette FRC (for the track)

masfae
Explorer
Explorer
Badeye, you sound like my husband (a PhD.) I think it is a wonderful idea to collect any type of data! It is good of you do give your time and I am surely one who will appreciate reading your results. Thank in advance.

au_ee
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars: 1994 Winnebago Brave on P30 Chassis
Driveline (Engine, Transmission): Chevy, Chevy
Miles:~35K
Year:2000
Break Down Description: How is this different from Symptons?
Symptoms:Transmission shifted down to 2nd gear and stayed there.
Effect:Limped to nearest exit on interstate.
Cause:Shift transducer needed replacing.
Outcome:After transmission repair ran normally.

RV particulars:1994 Winnebago Brave on P30 Chassis
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):Chevy, Chevy
Miles:~38k
Year:2000
Break Down Description: Driving near Mt. Rushmore, going down a hill and engine cut off. Pulled over to a pullout and parked.
Symptoms:Engine just stopped running and would not restart.
Effect:Luckily there was a convenient pullout and we werent' going very fast. If happened 1/4 mile later we would have been on much steeper decline and could have been a bad day.
Cause:After being towed to Rapid City chevrolet dealer and much trouble shooting, the mechanic found that a wiring bundle which was routed over the intake tube for the air cond. compressor had an over wrap that gaped open. A wire inside had the insulation rubbed off and exposed wire shorted to the a/c compressor intake tube.
Outcome:Re-insulated the wire, fixed the over wrap and MH ran like new.
Steve & Beth
2002 F250 Lariet Crewcab PSD 4x2
Non-towing: 20 mpg Towing: 14.5 mpg
1996 Sunnybrook 27RKF
Garmin Streetpilot 2610
Our Home Page

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars: HR Imperial 94
Driveline: Cummins 8.3C, Allison World
Miles: 125k
Year: 1994
Break Down Description: Sudden power loss, no steering assist
Symptoms: Hot dash A/C wiring
Effect: hot wires heated the resetable ignition circuit breaker causing engine shut down unexpectedly.

This would happen on damp rainy days when I would run the winsheild demist setting on the dash heater/AC. Sudden power loss was traced to curcuit panel under heat vent under dash.

Avoided problem by relocated panel to cooler location and moved the "hot curcuit" from below the ignition curcuit.

Now refrain from using the winsheild demist setting until I figure out whats causing the dash AC to draw so much current that it heats the wiring so much. Dash AC no longer operative.
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

mowmunny
Explorer
Explorer
2004 bounder, 300 cummins, 10,000 miles. Near Ft Myers Fl. Bounder would only go 30 mph. Check engine light on. Towed to cummins in Ft. Myers. Checked out engine with no results. Installed new fuel pump and sent us on our way. Went to Naples Fl. On our way home we made it to tampa with the same problem reoccuring. Towed to Tampa cummins dealer. Checked engine and found no problem Installed new fuel pump and sent us on our way. Near the Fl./ Ga. line same problem occured. we made it to Albany Ga. to the Cummins dealer. (cummins southeastern). In about 30 minutes they discovered an in line fuel filter between the fuel tank and the regular fuel filter. The in line was clogged with what looked like bad fuel.(varnish). We were finally on our way to Indy with no more problems. We had taken 3 weeks vacation and most of this was spent in cummins dealerships. Thank you cummins in Albany Ga. This is a group that is courteous and apparently the most knowledgable diesel mechanics in the south.
Don
2004 Bounder
300 Cummins ISB
Freightliner
2003 Alero
FMCA # 363891/Coachnet

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:

Work Horse 8.1, Allison

Miles:

Year:

Break Down Description:
Engine Missfire

Symptoms:
Rough idle, low power,

Effect:
None

Cause:
#5 spark plug boot burnt

Outcome:
1000 miles, replaced plug wire
1500 miles replaced plug wire, added Workhorse vent kit
10000 miles replaced plug wire with new design from Workhorse, directed vent kit outlet directly at #5 plug per Workhorseโ€™s instructions. 5000 miles later, no failure.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

W-22 Workhorse
3.5L V6 Automatic

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:

Work Horse 8.1, Allison

Miles:

Year:

Break Down Description:
Stopped for lunch, took 3 tries to start. Next stop at campground, took 3 tries to start.

Symptoms:
Took at least three, five second tries to start. Ran great after starting

Effect:
None

Cause:
Plugged Fuel Filter causing low fuel pressure at start. Took 3 tries to build enough pressure to start engine.

Outcome:
Replaced fuel filter. Also replaced fuel pump for good measure. 3,000 miles later, No problem since. All done under Warranty.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

W-22 Workhorse
3.5L V6 Automatic