cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakdown Information

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
Moderators Note: This thread is intending to report a problem and its resolution. If you are seeking help or information to help you resolve a problem you would best be served by initiating a thread on the class A forum proper

After some conversation with Diesel-Lover and others on this forum I thought I would try to start a thread concerning breakdowns on the road. We try to prevent this by good maintenance and driving reasonably but it can still happen. As I observed in a previous post, on a roughly 350 mile northbound drive on I-75 I saw 4 class A MH broken down. All were southbound.

If we should have a breakdown and would post the following information on this thread it could be a resource and reminder for others.

RV particulars:
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):
Miles:
Year:
Break Down Description: (You can add any description of the problem here that you think would help others in understanding the situation and problem.)
Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause:
Outcome:

This is the type of information that is recorded in the aircraft industry and other maintenance activities to track failure trends. It will take a while before we see a lot of value in this. If it continues for a time and sufficient data is available, I will analyze the data and put it into a form that I can send by email to any interested parties. I would suspect that an initial report could be done in about three months or when we have about 100 to 150 cases.

What do you think?
818 REPLIES 818

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
C'mon folks - How about sticking to the initial format of this topic for easier referencing. It becomes a waste of time to have to read through paragraphs of someone's breakdown story, only to find that it would have nothing to do with your particular type of coach or driveline, or to find no reference at all to the coach effected by the breakdown.

=================================
RV Particulars (Mfg, Type, Model):
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):
Miles:
Model Year:
Break Down Description: (You can add any description of the problem here that you think would help others in understanding the situation and problem.)
Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause:
Outcome:
==================================
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
MrDoneIt65 wrote:
Haven't had an electrical problem as described but my cruise control has never worked in my Workhorse chassis. I get it fixed, it works, I shut it off, it won't work. Guess I wasn't meant to have cruise control.

Check your brake light circuit! Had similar problems and it finally (two + years) resolved as a .2 volt (approx) leak to ground in the brake light circuit. It fluctuated enough that sometimes the cruise would work and sometimes not. Had similar issues on current coach as well.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had an electrical problem as described but my cruise control has never worked in my Workhorse chassis. I get it fixed, it works, I shut it off, it won't work. Guess I wasn't meant to have cruise control.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

earln7
Explorer
Explorer
Electrical breakdown A large, usually abrupt rise in electric current in the presence of a small increase in electric voltage.
================================
caravan sales

watk69
Explorer
Explorer
A bedroll of some sort flew out the back of some "spring breakers" pickup truck, unfurled itself on the roadway, our choice was to swerve and possibly roll the motorhome do to heavy traffic or run over it dead center. We chose the latter.

We saw that the bedroll exited out of the rear (we thought). Within 5 miles we found out differently, a portion of it had hung around the drive shaft, taking wires, hydraulic lines with it and the transmission ground itself to bits, bringing a 32,000 lb beast to a screeching halt

We called our Road Hazard outfit, they mulled it over--said call your insurance company (office closed)---we deem it an accident. Law enforcement shows up, helps us put out our flares and cones and said "bye bye", we aren't writing anything up or reporting it, you hit road debris---not an accident.

So glad we knew people in the truck maintenence and towing industry and a kind couple from Alberta, or we would still be sitting there beside the roadway while the 2 insurance entities argued who was going to come get us.

I am sure we have a long claim battle ahead of us, any suggestions from any of you veterans out there???. At least wife and I are safe and sound---thats what counts

Rig: 2003 Revolution 38B
Chassis: Freightliner
Powerplant Cummins 350
Outcome: Uncertain

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
J79Engine wrote:
I suffered a complete electrical failure while travelling home from the dealer in the interstate but before I could react to it everything returned to normal. All my dash warning light lit up and gages went to off but as stated returned to normal before I could count to 10. The dealer stated it would be like looking for the needle in the hay and then may not find anything. They suggested it could have been dampness as the coach (gas- 2005 Sunvoyager) sat for two months before we purchased it in real cold weather. This has not happened since. They did need to change both front tires at their expense becuase we experienced high vibration in the steering wheel between 55 to 65 mph after the 235 R80 225 Michalins were installed the vibration went away. Mainden voyage for us with 22,650 miles on the coach is approaching on the 25th of February. So if you see a Sunvoyager heading South on I75 towards Florida that is probably us with everything crossed that all goes well. I have a class B license.

Engine/chassis information would be useful. My Southwind on WorkHorse W22 chassis with Chevy Vortec 81.L has a similar happening, randomly. Generally at speed entire dashboard array resets to key off mode and then before I have time to react the system reboots through the startup sequence (bells, seatbelt warning light etc.) and we continue on down the road. The engine, power steering, brakes appear to be unaffected. Time between happenings is 1,000 to 5,000 miles give or take. We don't even react anymore. Had dash module replaced 4 years back under recall, but it did not resolve this issue. We have chosen to live with it rather than spend hundreds trying to it chase down. It does serve to provide a wakeup call on a long mileage day, sometimes. Last recurrence was within past 1,000 miles. We have 78K miles from new on second set of tires (age and wear combined).
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

J79Engine
Explorer
Explorer
I suffered a complete electrical failure while travelling home from the dealer in the interstate but before I could react to it everything returned to normal. All my dash warning light lit up and gages went to off but as stated returned to normal before I could count to 10. The dealer stated it would be like looking for the needle in the hay and then may not find anything. They suggested it could have been dampness as the coach (gas- 2005 Sunvoyager) sat for two months before we purchased it in real cold weather. This has not happened since. They did need to change both front tires at their expense becuase we experienced high vibration in the steering wheel between 55 to 65 mph after the 235 R80 225 Michalins were installed the vibration went away. Mainden voyage for us with 22,650 miles on the coach is approaching on the 25th of February. So if you see a Sunvoyager heading South on I75 towards Florida that is probably us with everything crossed that all goes well. I have a class B license.

lostjohn
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible there are this few new breakdowns ? I didn't think that the reliability had improved this much ??????
John R Miller

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
farmingdad wrote:
i have 04 monaco dynasty when i am driving on interstate atc light comes on when i put dn to floor on hills coach starts jumping , i reset the reset buttons still does it. anybody out there no anything about this,

I think that the problem may be a non-problem actually but a condition that occurs when you reach the maximum rpm for the engine and the coach shifts to a higher gear to protect the engine. Then the engine and transmission sense a overload condition and immediately shift back to the lower gear and the sequence starts all over again. The solution is to ease off the throttle a bit and keep the rpm just below maximum. You will need to read the tech data on your engine and find out what the max pulling rpm is for your engine. This will be different than the unloaded max rpm such as when you are using your exhaust brake if so equipped. The ATC light is coming on because it senses the same condition as a loss of traction.

The next time this occurs try backing off the throttle a bit and see if it stops the problem.

Badeye

Floss
Explorer
Explorer
We were one of the break down statistics this summer on our way home from Utah. One blow out near Sandia NM inside dooly on the passengers side rear. Five hours lost waiting and getting tire replaced. We went ahead and replaced both tires so they would be the same dia.(9R22.5) Five days later the inside rear tire dr. side blew about four hours lost this time sitting on the side of the road.(14 miles west of OK City on I40) You would think one blow out would be enough warning, NO it took two. I, we went ahead and replaced the remaining three in OK Ci
ty. The old tires had a mfg. date of Jan. 2002.

Floss and Gary Bham, Al.

40RV_40BOAT
Explorer
Explorer
RV: 97 Am. Eagle 40 ft.
Engine: Cummins 325
Miles: 40,000
Headed for Canada up highway 2 across the UP of Mich. Pulled into a rest area everything running fine, next morning engine did not start quite right. Normal two turns over pops right off. Took 4 or so turns to start. Got out on the highway and could not go over 35 miles per hour. Finally got the coach up to 40. Pulled into a turn off and called my friend Don (diesel mech.) he says check the fuel solenoid, see if is sticking. Went back sprayed it and pried on it (hard to see on that engine) sure enough that did it, soaked it good with WD40. Happened again coming back from cherry fest again sprayed and worked on it with a screw driver. Every thing running smooth headed for home (MN) back in the UP on highway 2 headed west. Stopped at a station to buy some pop and snacks, started it up bang, just like that could not get it up to speed no power. It was late so tuned around and stayed at the station over night, next morning took it to a mech. He would not touch it, didn't work on diesels. I finally went to work on the solenoid with a hammer and screwdriver. Got it working but we did not dare shut it off for the entire trip home 500 miles. Stopped at a Cummings dealer in Green Bay, but they could not give me any help. They said if could be anything. (no help). When I got home took it to Don's and we pulled off the solenoid, it was starting to come apart. Put a new one on, its a hour job. Turned into a 10 hour job. A couple of screw snapped off and we had to pull off everything. WOW. Cummings puts on a screw that has a one way head. You have to try to get it out with a chisel or vise grips.
This is only on my latest coach. I'm not going into the older ones. LOL

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
i have 04 monaco dynasty when i am driving on interstate atc light comes on when i put dn to floor on hills coach starts jumping , i reset the reset buttons still does it. anybody out there no anything about this,

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
Date:6 June 2010
Coach: 2005 Sportscoach Model 401TS 40ft
Engine: CAT 350 HP 860 lb/ft torque
Transmission: 6 sp Allison

Just outside of Spokane WA while crossing over into Idaho all warning lights including check engine light came on. System went into "limp home" mode (my description). There was an exit just ahead and a dealer located at the exit. I pulled off and into the dealer just as the temp hit the red zone. No unusual noise from the engine compartment. When I raised the side panelthere was no belt on the pully. This dealer did not have a service department but did have a mechanic and agreed to let him look at it for me. When he reached up to move the fan, it wobbled all over the place. Verdict, blown fan clutch assembly. Beyond his capability to replace.

Called CoachNet to get towed to the nearest repair facility. After some confusion about the nearest tow operator we were towed to Western Peterbilt in Liberty Lake, WA. Rouse Towing out of Spokane did the towing. Very capable and efficient. Peterbilt was able to determine what parts were needed and get them on order that evening. They had a spot for us to park in that had electric and water. They wanted the coach by 10:00am the next day as the parts were to be in at noon and the mechanic that was to do the work came in at 10:00am. He started the tear down and was ready for the parts when they came in. They had a very nice drivers lounge that had a washer/dryer, tv, shower facilities, etc. The coach was ready by 7:00pm that evening. We stayed over that night and left the next morning.

Tow bill just over $400, all covered by CoachNet.
Repairs were near $1000, all covered by my insurance except for the $200 deductable.

I have nothing but good to say about Western Peterbilt and their people. They treated us well and the prices were fair considering the time required to do the job. They kept the coach clean inside and out. They gave us a good clean place to wait and checked with us periodically to see if we needed anything.

There was some confusion with CoachNet concerning who would tow us at first. They wanted us to wait four hours for a tow truck to come 150 miles until we told them that Rouse was located less than 20 miles away. It seems that they did not have a contract with them and the agent that I was talking to must have been a trainee. Once I got to a supervisor, things got moving in the right direction.

Badeye

Komac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Hurricane, class A, with the 8.1 litre gas engine on a Workhorse chassis. In July 2010, the engine quit running on Highway 98 westbound, about 50 miles from Pensacola. I had it towed to Panama City, Florida, the closest Workhorse chassis service center. After two days of waiting, the service advisor said I had a bad throttle control actuator. It had to be ordered, and it would take a week to arrive. My wife and I went to a local motel with our tow car. A week later, we returned. The part arrived around noon,and the technician went to work immediately. Around closing time, a service advisor said that the trottle control actuator wasn't the problem. Instead it was a bad electronic control modulator(ECM). They didn't have one in stock, and they were told that the part was on back order and would not be available for at least a month. My wife and I drove back to Tennessee and began making calls. I got connected with a Workhorse regional service manager who was very helpful. He told me that there was no reason the center in Panama City couldn't reprogram one of their existing ECMs. He immediately called them and directed them to do so, in addition to sending them a confirming e-mail, with a copy to me. He also sent them detailed instructions about how to do the re-programing, along with instructions to call me as soon as it was done and the problem was solved. In addition, he sent instructions to all Workhorse service centers to re-program an existing in-stock ECM if a back order problem occurs again. He also reminded the centers to follow existing Workhorse service policies when dealing with customers. One such policy is that the customer is to be told within an hour of arrival about what progress, if any, is being made on the vehicle. I believe this is important information for Workhorse chassis owners. Electronic modules in stock for other vehicles can be re-programed, and Workhorse service centers are authorized to do so. Komac

ranssberty78
Explorer
Explorer
Ames wrote:
Most diesel engine breakdowns are probably fuel delivery problems or elictrical.

Most gas engine breaksowns are overheating including vporlock or electrical.

Biggest cause for breakdown is flat tires.

I like this post.Thanks.:W