cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buy at RV show in October, or now

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably covered in a previous post, but I didn't find any when I searched.

We bought our last RV at the show and felt like we got a good deal. Took some effort, but it worked out.

We are in the market for a new one now, no trade in, and are wondering if (in general) we would be better off waiting until the show in October in Pomona, CA.

All of the dealers and manufacters are normally there, but we have it narrowed down to a few specific brands and models we are looking for.

Thanks
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
10 REPLIES 10

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
I love buying new cars. When I walk into a showroom the real fun begins.
In all my adventures I can say with a fact, if you want a great deal know the value of the product first. Shop and compare, travel if you must.
If you walk in and start saying numbers that have no backbone to them they just giggle. Walk in with some solid numbers then you have their attention. Have your notes handy, don't reveal what you know. It's a silly game, Mr big is in the back room when actually they go get a drink of water then come back. (my friend sold cars)
Don't be afraid to walk away, that's not the last one on the planet.
be prepared and shop at the end of the month. They need to clear their inventory before the months end AND that salesman may need ONE more to make his quota and get a bonus.
Avoid extended warranties and self insure, you will be way ahead. peace of mind, yeah right....

I have purchased vehicles even ordered my truck for less than you can get off the lot. I have gone with family and friends and it's fun. Remember, if a salesman's lips are moving he may be making stuff up.
Take your time, enjoy the journey, get the one you want and enjoy yourself. Be financed before you go.

Good advice, I'm with you. Buying a new/used vehicle can be a lot of fun if you are impervious to the games professional car salespeople play. Unfortunately not everyone is, and, the road can be treacherous if you aren't prepared. Additional advice: NEVER make your final decision to buy with the salesperson present. (salespeople HATE that but too bad)

Chum lee

In law purchased a used truck salesman claims it was serviced, whipped out my creeper and went underneath and nope, same old dirty oil filter. Got a killer deal and when he congratulated steve he bent over and stuck his butt in my face, I laughed and walked out.
They will not agree to your price, ever, it's always something different and they love the number 9

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
In all my adventures I can say with a fact, if you want a great deal know the value of the product first. Shop and compare, travel if you must.
If you walk in and start saying numbers that have no backbone to them they just giggle. Walk in with some solid numbers then you have their attention. Have your notes handy, don't reveal what you know. It's a silly game, Mr big is in the back room when actually they go get a drink of water then come back. (my friend sold cars)
be prepared and shop at the end of the month. They need to clear their inventory before the months end AND that salesman may need ONE more to make his quota and get a bonus.
Avoid extended warranties and self insure, you will be way ahead. peace of mind, yeah right....

I have purchased vehicles even ordered my truck for less than you can get off the lot. I have gone with family and friends and it's fun. Remember, if a salesman's lips are moving he may be making stuff up.
Take your time, enjoy the journey, get the one you want and enjoy yourself. Be financed before you go.

Good advice, I'm with you. Buying a new/used vehicle can be a lot of fun if you are impervious to the games professional car salespeople play. Unfortunately not everyone is, and, the road can be treacherous if you aren't prepared. Additional advice: NEVER make your final decision to buy with the salesperson present. (salespeople HATE that but too bad)

Chum lee

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you walk in and start saying numbers that have no backbone to them they just giggle. Walk in with some solid numbers then you have their attention. Have your notes handy, don't reveal what you know. It's a silly game, Mr big is in the back room when actually they go get a drink of water then come back. ( my friend sold cars)
Be financed before you go.

Take your time, enjoy the journey, get the one you want and enjoy yourself.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are very good at negotiating your way through the salesman's gauntlet and avoiding the show hype, I would avoid the show environment unless the sellers are VERY motivated with few buyers. That's not to say there aren't good deals to be had at RV shows, but, really good deals tend to attract an audience which is generally NOT the optimal buying situation for you.

Chum lee

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best time to buy an RV is when you find the one you want. RV shows are good venues to compare different makes and models. I would not recommend buying at a show if price is a consideration. I have always found I get the best deal when the salesfolks are waiting for customers rather than the other way around.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is probably covered in a previous post, but I didn't find any when I searched.

How did you search ?

I seldom use this forums search system.

If you use a search bar like google , type in :

rv.net, is an rv show the best time to buy an rv ?

You will find answers from rv.net as well as other forums and a more wider spread of advice from other sources.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25246771.cfm

mikemdd
Explorer
Explorer
If price is important, it is a myth that you always get a better deal at the show. We were at a big RV show in Chicago this spring and decided on a motorhome to purchase. The one at the show had a great "show price" but was missing some options we wanted. The next week, we went to the same dealer that had the motorhome at the show, ordered everything we wanted at a price $5K more than the list price of the show model and negotiated a price $6K less. Saved $11K in total with negotiation at the dealer. I agree with the buy now comment if you have decided on what you want.

Buy it when YOU feel that you received the best price, and the amount you wanted to pay. You do not always need a show to get that price.

There is a lot of HYPE at a show, when we were looking to buy back in "08", we had All our pricing in hand and went to 3 shows.. EVERY show had a DIFFERENT MSRP that they deduct from to show the illusion of a GREAT discount... NONE of those were the actual numbers...

GET the OUT THE DOOR cost,,, that is the only number that should matter
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would a dealer make a better deal at a show where he/she has to pay to exhibit? Possibly so he/she doesn't need to haul a unit back to the dealership when everyone and his brother has walked through it and touched everything, otherwise....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now and enjoy it for two months.