Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a rental class B+

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Some people seemed interested in what it's like to buy a rental class C or B+
In April 2014, I rented a 19ft Cruise America Class C motorhome to check what RVing life was like. I LOVED it! The 19ft size made it very easy to drive and park in various places. There was an overhead bed above the cab and the dinette also made into a bed. That worked well when I had a friend stay over although the space would be rather small for 2 people traveling full-time.
After doing more research, I decided to buy a used class B+ from a rental company in Canada in Sept/14 (I am Canadian and it seemed easier than buying a Motorhome in the US).I bought it in Calgary, Alberta because they have no provincial sales tax, thus saving me quite a bit. I was able to do that because I have a sister living in Calgary and she is listed as a co-owner.
I went to "Canadream" which was a good choice. They sell their rentals after 3-4yrs and supply all service records.They treated me very well and gave me a very good deal including all new tires and provided an awning and solar panel that I requested as part of the deal.They continue to be of service after buying the RV by providing me with a phone no I can call anytime I have any questions or concerns.
I love the class B+ I bought: a 24ft motorhome. "Forest River Lexington 235CDS 2011/2010 It doesn't have a bed over the cab and has a more stream-like appearance. The smaller area over the cab
has an entertainment unit. It has one slide for the sofa that goes into a bed. The dinette can also be made into a bed.It has a rear kitchenette.I've named it "whyknot" (ie why not do what I've always wanted to, and knot for any knots I want to get rid of in my life)
Since I bought it about 4mos ago, I've driven about 9000 miles!
Calgary,Alberta to Nova Scotia then south along the east coast of US to Florida panhandle, westward toward the California...so much to see!! I've stayed at various campgrounds but also boondocked at Walmarts, Cracker Barrel, truck stops, rest stops and have met many wonderful people.
Reading this forum has helped and I continue to learn every day.
I love this RV lifestyle and as I'm retired, I can do it full time (I took a leap of faith and moved out of my apt, sold almost everything I had including my car, and bought the RV).Thanks to everyone for all the useful information in this forum.
See you on the road!
Maria
7 REPLIES 7

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I also recently purchased a former rental class C and and my family is having a ball. Happy exploring!

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes for this new chapter in your life. There is a lot of interest in tiny houses. You have just purchased a tiny house that has a motor so you change the view from your living room any time you want.

We also purchased a used B+ about the same size and really enjoy it. There is so much to see, places to explore, and you will meet some really great people along the way.

Wishing you a great 2015 in your new home.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. It seems like you are living your dream. If only we all could do that. Best wishes on your travels.

brucec315
Explorer
Explorer
If your travels have you near Syracuse, NY this Spring considering attending our NY Spring Rally. We have 41 Views/ Navions and several other brands attending. For more info message me and I'll get you the info!
Bruce NY
13 Navion IQG 25 (Winnebago)

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Keep on RVing and enjoying "whyknot" and seeing the sights. Glad to hear another RVer living the dream.
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds AWESOME! Keep on enjoying it!