cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cargo door locks

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
I have an automatic door lock on one of my cargo doors that won't open. I hear the mechanism working when I hit the unlock button on my remote, but the rod that holds the door locked won't retract. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

jdealcpa
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had the same problem. The bolt, on my rig, is plastic. It broke at a point where the mechanism would retract half of the bolt but the balance of the bolt continued to prevent the door from opening. I was able to push the broken bolt back to get door open. After I got the door open I replaced the latch. You can get latches with metal bolts.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the latch is not pulling back. Must have gotten disconnected or broke. You should be able to crawl in from the opposite side if it is a see through compartment and get to the latch from the inside where you can just pull it and unlock it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
This is not an unusual problem. Are you sure it's not unlocking or a single latch is not retracting, there is a big difference between the two
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
oops
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip. I will try opening up the lock panel on the inside of the door and see why its sticking before I take the door off. Since I hear the mechanism clicking when I hit the remote, Im hoping its just a minor problem. My auto lock system locks all doors including the cargo doors when activating the alarm, so it would be hard to turn off the auto lock on just the cargo doors.

TZScales
Explorer
Explorer
dpscll,

I recently experienced the same issue with several of my automatic cargo locks and used a key with some; however, since your actuating rod, for unlocking the door, is in a different configuration, you will have to gain access opposite the cargo door and try to unlock from the inside.

If this is not possible, try removing the door from the hinges when you open the door slightly. In my case, I tried several options i.e. unlocking from the inside, using the key and removing one cargo door via of the hinges.

I will be replacing all actuators at some point. Presently, I just use a key to unlock the cargo doors.
TZS and Wife :B
2007 Monaco Executive Sandia IV
Cummins ISX 525 Horsepower
Allison 4000 Six Speed Transmission
Roadmaster S-Series Chassis
2004 Ford F250
Blueox Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
The keys work independently of the auto lock system. The auto lock uses a rod that works off a separate lock below the key lock.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried the key?
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member