cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
I’m interested in hauling a motorcycle on the back of my 22.5 foot Shasta Class C on a Ford E350 V10 chassis. The bike I’m looking at weighs about 400 lbs (Kawasaki KLS). I can’t find any info online about the vehicle’s towing capacity or the max tongue weight for the hitch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out? Is 400 lbs within the typical limit for a Class C of this size?

Any recommendations for carrier are appreciated as well. Thanks!
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.
17 REPLIES 17

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget, that 400 lb. Kawasaki will double or triple in weight when you are bouncing down the road.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to weigh your rig first... never mind I see it’s a E350. 400 lb bike plus 100 lb rack is going to put 1000 lbs on your rear axle (500 off front)..ain’t going to work. Maybe a 200 lb bike but now you need to weigh.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Spend some time googling and reading about available rear and front motorcycle carrying options. I have carried my 188 lb Honda Trail 90 on a rear aluminum hitch rack safely with ratchet straps and bungee cords. This arrangement blocks access to rear cargo door, however. The weight of a motorcycle may shift the balance of your rig adding weight to the rear and making the front end light on it's front wheels.

It may be that a small trailer is best and also useful for carrying other gear that won't fit well inside your short rig.