cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging starting battery

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Sunova 30B and it stays plugged in over the winter. My house batteries are charged up but the starting battery is not charged off the 110 volt. I was thinking of adding a battery maintainer that gets it's power from the campers 110. There's also the option of a switch that connects the house batteries to the starting battery while parked. Ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on the trik-l-start. I installed one on my 05 Sightseer. Works great. Ten minutes to install.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Also consider the Amp-L-Start
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
I added a trik-l-start to our class c and it works like a charm.

Dave

Thanks everyone. That's what I was looking for.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a maintainer charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket from an ac plug inside the MH. It is a "smart" charger that does not overcharge the battery. Thought of wiring it directly to battery but I use it for other batteries as well.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of options for keeping the starting battery charged. Solar panel, trickle chargers that use 110, chargers that connect house battery to starter battery that only charge if the house battery is being charged, battery tenders, or simply remove the starting battery and take it into your house. It should last quite a while there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I added a trik-l-start to our class c and it works like a charm.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several reasonable options. An AC powered maintainer/float charger is one reasonable one; however, do be aware that most need to be disconnected from the battery whenever they are disconnected from the AC power.

Another possible option is a solar maintainer; how possible or reasonable does very much depend on where you keep the RV, of course.

It may well be possible to activate the battery isolation relay (such as via the "emergency start" switch if you have one) to connect the batteries together. This would in my opinion be simpler and better than installing a duplicate switch to interconnect them.

One popular and effective solution is the Trik-L-Start, a gizmo that diverts a little of the house battery charge power to keep the starting battery charged. It's not too expensive, easy to install, and once installed needs no additional attention. This would be my first choice of all the options. (They also make a somewhat more powerful version called the Amp-L-Start, and a few different companies make other similar products...that usually are much more expensive while offering no great advantages that I can see.)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
For about $25 they have a charge maintainer that can be mounted and plugged into your MH AC outlet. it is permanently connected to the start battery and maintains a charge. Amazon sells them. I use them on farm equipment.

charge maintainer