cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

class a diesel maintenance

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we are thinking of buying a class a diesel, can most repairs/maintenance be done from outside the coach or do you need to go under the bed? If so have anybody had any problems with garages getting grease & diesel smell all around the bedroom? As we can not handle the smell. Thanks for any info on this.
11 REPLIES 11

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
shannon62 wrote:
Hello, we are thinking of buying a class a diesel, can most repairs/maintenance be done from outside the coach or do you need to go under the bed? If so have anybody had any problems with garages getting grease & diesel smell all around the bedroom? As we can not handle the smell. Thanks for any info on this.

It's all about the money, as always and with that you can have any kind of service you desire, whether it needs done outside or inside and for using white gloves, as well.
As for big Diesel rigs in general, they're like any Yacht, on land or sea and both cost money to buy and maintain, over the cost of just having a boat.
Most maintenance is outside and sometimes both. Not like you can just raise the hood for getting to everything, you know, unless you go for a Super C class and for something you might want to look into, given your concerns.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just recently traded my DP in for a Class B+. There were a lot of reasons for doing this, but one reason was the cost of maintenance and finding places to do it. I live in Reno and basically the only place I would trust is the local Freightliner dealer. There are a few places around town that will do the oil changes, but not much else. Before I traded it in I was trying to find a place to replace the serpentine belt but couldn’t find anybody to do it. So I’m stuck with Freightliner which leaves a couple of problems. One being they are expensive as heck. But mostly it’s because Reno is a huge trucking hub and the only place big rigs can get repairs in a long stretch of I-80. So they are swamped with work and they are going to give their commercial customers priority. I’ve tried to make appointments there and they tell me I need to leave it for a week and they’ll work it in.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info, it all was very helpful.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing they do besides replacing thermostats from inside and hoses if needed is lashing the valves. Ours is a C7 Cat rear radiator though.
When they lashed the valves they left sheeting with adhesive that stuck to the carpet from the front to he bedroom. Same stuff I think as we used when we moved into our home now for the movers so as to not mess up the carpet.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
None of the regular service items are accessed from inside and if your mechanic did need access from inside and got fingerprints on anything, it would be time to find a different mechanic.
As for engine or diesel odors, that pretty much isn't an issue.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

same here. I drop it off and pick it up when its done. Never seen or smelled anything. I also get mine done at a truck repair shop.

Bruce_Brown
Only issue we've ever had was the shop using sooo many protective mats it took a minute to pick them all up! Not once, ever, have we had as much as a fingerprint in ours. We're happy with our shop.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

thelazyl
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rear-radiator diesel with engine access under the bed. We've never had an issue with grease or oil smell. I have a truck mechanic do the maintenance for us. Although maintenance costs are higher than a gasser, we very pleased with the quiet and smooth ride of the rear diesel.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen the pros and cons of a diesel. Maint is t too bad, but from seeing them a side radiator, although they seem to cost more, are much easier to do maint on. Unless the engine needs to come apart there would be. I need to go inside the MH.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Side radiators allow for more open engine access from the rear.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Typically all routine service can be done without needing to access the inside of the motorhome.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone