cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C MPG

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to trade my trailer for used 24-26 feet Class C Motorhome with 1 slideout. What is MPG average on 24-26 Class C motorhomes? Thank You.
36 REPLIES 36

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Four Winds 5000, 30 feet. With a family of 5 and all our junk for a 2 week 5,000 miles road trip, we averaged 8 mpg. Pretty much stayed about 60-65 miles an hour. 90% of the trip was flat roads.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 E350 with V10 averaged 8.5 mpg on our 7500 mile cross country trip Last year. No tow. That as across US 2 westbound to Everett WA, down US 101 to Fort Bragg then back home on a bunch of back roads.
Good enough..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
if you want MPG get a sprinter with a mercede benz diesel

Except that in most cases that's false economy. You get better mileage, but actually spend more money not less.

The cost of the buying the Diesel engine exceeds the savings from the improved mileage in most cases.

Not always. We sold our first used Sprinter (to buy a newer one) and the resale value was extremely high, almost what we paid for it.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
16 actual average on last summerโ€™s 10,500-mi. trip coast to coast including Rockies.

JohnYEC
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
There is only one way to accurately compute your mileage. The tank has to filled to precisely the same level EVERY time. Different pumps will kick off at varying levels which insures you will get bogus mpg compuations.

The only way to even come close to the same fill level is to top it up until you can see the fuel in the fill tube, which by the way is prohibited on every pump: "Do not top off". If you do manage to get it exactly full, every time, over the course of a dozen or so tanks then and only then will your mpg computations have any validity/accuracy.

The typical rv'er gets the tank really, really full, drives several hundred miles and then fuels until the pump shuts off(any number of gallons short of his last fill). Now he does the math of miles divided by gallons and smiles proudly over his obvious driving skills that have netted him "X" mpg. Next he rushes to the internet to share his good fortune and obvious driving prowess.
:B

Actually you can get an extremely accurate mpg measurement with less effort than that, it just takes time. At some point, top your tank off to where you can see the fuel in the fill tube. Don't include the gallons for this fillup, but now record the odometer reading and for all subsequent fuelings, record every gallon that ever gets added to the tank (these refuelings can be of any amount - quarter-tank, half-tank, or anything else.) Then sometime later (could be dozens of fillups or many thousands of miles later - the longer you wait, the more accurate your calculation will be), fill up to that top off fill tube level again and include this last gallon quantity in your fuel total. Now you know the exact total number of gallons added between that very first top off and this top off, and can easily calculate a very accurate overall MPG value.

If you're so inclined, you can still do the procedure outlined by Desert Captain and top off the tank every fillup, but just keep the fuel running total accurate so the longer you keep doing this, the more accurate your long-term MPG calcs will be.

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
Camper 2012 wrote:
scroller95969 wrote:
10.5-11 with 24' Chevy 6.0 pulling a 3000# trailer. That's without a head wind and I drive right around 58mph.
Is any slide out on your motorhome.

No slide.
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Camper 2012 wrote:
scroller95969 wrote:
10.5-11 with 24' Chevy 6.0 pulling a 3000# trailer. That's without a head wind and I drive right around 58mph.

Sorry, error.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
scroller95969 wrote:

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we are one our 1st long trip with a winnebago aspect B+. I have been haphazardly figuring milage and it seems to be in the 8-8.5 range. Was down to 7's in texas hill country with winds and got into the 8's still in hll country w/o head or quartering headwinds. Left dallas and had 9.2 in murfreesboro ark. 9.19 in little rock. seems to be a variance in how the veh performs with again speed. low were 65 mph or so, mid was around 60, latest back between 63-65. in ark we were on back roads no traffic perse so no real changing of speeds so all was fairly constant. some slow driving due to where we were at and then going to but not a lot. watching my scan guage for the instantaneous seems to indicate more fuel use at low settings vs the fuel use at 60+. Engine out of its torques/hp levels at low speeds thus more fuel use (less mileage).

I have noticed as the engine ages (more miles) it seems to be better in response to throttle inputs and I am also using a 5 star tune. will know in another couple of thousand we have left to cover until we get home.

BTW I drove a small chevy school bus last year 12 passenger 3500, best milage it ever got was 12 per its computer. I weighed a lot less than ANY rv would and had the 350 engine, 6 speed auto. yes lot of stop go but also had at least 80 miles a day interstate.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Oh so many influential factors, but this is my "General Take" on a 24 foot B+ with aerodynamic styling. Use for comparison more than actual numbers.

Given everything else equal.....
Ford E350-V10 - 10mpg
Ford E350-V8 - 11 mpg
Ford E450-V10 - 9mpg
Ford E450-V8 - 10mpg
GMC/Chevy-V8 - 11mpg
Sprinter Diesel - 14mpg

On my aerodynamic Chevy model... 25 ft... my spreadsheet shows that I get 8.5-9.5 in town driving. On my trips between ND/MN/AZ over three years, I ranged from 11.7 to 12.8. (2 trips at 11+ and 4 at 12+)

This is an average over 10+ fills. I usually drive about 65 and carry one adult, one smallish dog, and about a half tank of water. (plus my usual winter needs)
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is only one way to accurately compute your mileage. The tank has to filled to precisely the same level EVERY time. Different pumps will kick off at varying levels which insures you will get bogus mpg compuations.

The only way to even come close to the same fill level is to top it up until you can see the fuel in the fill tube, which by the way is prohibited on every pump: "Do not top off". If you do manage to get it exactly full, every time, over the course of a dozen or so tanks then and only then will your mpg computations have any validity/accuracy.

The typical rv'er gets the tank really, really full, drives several hundred miles and then fuels until the pump shuts off(any number of gallons short of his last fill). Now he does the math of miles divided by gallons and smiles proudly over his obvious driving skills that have netted him "X" mpg. Next he rushes to the internet to share his good fortune and obvious driving prowess.

We have all done it(yep, me too), perhaps inadvertently but the number is still bogus. I'll say it again... if you want honest numbers go back and reread paragraphs one and two above.

As always... Opinions and YMMV
:B

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Well Matthewc45, I believe that the secret is only driving downhill. Get to the bottom, and sell the darn thing... lol
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Matthewc45
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 26q fleetwood jamboree with the v-10 and just return from our longest trip of 1800 miles, with towing a 2012 Toyota Camry. I kept my speed under 65 and drove without the cruise in the hills. The total trip I average 7.9 mpg. I filled up every 360 miles with 45-46 gals each time. I also ran the a/c on the motor and no gen. I would love to know how some people with larger class c or getting 10 mpg.
2004 fleetwood jamboree 26q
Me,The wife,and Two boys
Time away from home camping is time while spent.