cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Complete Recaulking

swb7
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had their class C completely recaulked by an rv place or will they even do it?
Tired of messing around with it & would like to have it all redone.
Mine is a 24' Winnie Minnie.
Any idea of costs? Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
i applied mine over the molding , i prefer not to have the screws through the eternabond

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. You run a 2" wide strip that will be just flush (or a tiny bit past flush) to the bottom edge of the metal edging strip and then overlap onto the roof. That seals the whole transition area from roof, to seam, to outer filon. The you use butyl tape like normal and attach the metal trim strip. That seam will be very well sealed and the Eternabond can flex without breaking the seal.

Jose

CT51
Explorer
Explorer
DaHose wrote:
When I first bought my MH, I paid and RV shop to seal it. It was a complete waste of money. I would have done a better job cleaning up before putting on fresh lap sealant and they didn't even touch the windows.

I am a fan of Eternabond. It unrolls like a tape, but it adheres like crazy and is a great solution for all your top seams. Put it on under the metal trim and it will be water tight for 10+ years, with no need to re-apply between. You do need to have a metal roller to really get it to stick, but it's awesome stuff.

Jose

When you say put it under the metal seam, are you referring to the awning rail where the roof meets the sides? I hadn't heard of using it that way, but it sounds like a good idea.

CT51

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
remove all the windows,clean all the surfaces,reinstall with butyl tape then use the eternacaulk on the outside of the window
use the eternabond tape on the roof seams and around all the vents and such
remove all the old caulk from the storage doors/trim moldings/porch light..etc, replace with eternacaulk
mineral spirits on your finger or a caulk tool will work wonders in making it look nice
be sure to properly clean all the areas before caulk with some sort of solvent cleaner
an oscillating dremel type tool with the plastic scraper head works great for removing old caulk
follow eternabond prep instructions for the eternabond tape
PREP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WITH THE TAPE AND CAULK

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
The windows you have to take out clean them and use betel tape it looks like a long roll of plumbers putty. On the roof around all the vents and seams use Eternabond tape about 4" wide.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
hold the phones, I found the caulk here's a link; www.eternabond.com/EternaCaulk-p/eternacaulk.htm
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
when you say put it under the metal seams, are you referring to the metal seams around the windows ? there's like 50 screws around the windows to loosen
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
When I first bought my MH, I paid and RV shop to seal it. It was a complete waste of money. I would have done a better job cleaning up before putting on fresh lap sealant and they didn't even touch the windows.

I am a fan of Eternabond. It unrolls like a tape, but it adheres like crazy and is a great solution for all your top seams. Put it on under the metal trim and it will be water tight for 10+ years, with no need to re-apply between. You do need to have a metal roller to really get it to stick, but it's awesome stuff.

Jose

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
I goggled eternabond, it looks like a tape not caulking ?

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Seriousily..find an honest dealer of repair shop...or Camping World is pretty good! They are reasonably priced and do this sort of thing a LOT!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
RV dealers pray for someone like you to come in and ask for a complete re-caulking! Then they can pay of their new Mercedes!

Don't caulk it..Eternabond it and forget it! If done right it would need about 70 or 80 ft of it plus labor. Shop around for the best price regardless of what you choose.
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W